Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

when to up sandpaper grit? (wet-sanding)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• when to up sandpaper grit? (wet-sanding)

My previous owner painted my bike, but never finished wet sanding it. I have begun working on my tank and fairings. How do you know when to go up in grit? I have been lightly sanding with 1000, it looks much better...I had a LOT of orange-peel though. The reflection in the paint is still bumpy (not a clear reflection). Does this mean I should continue with the 1000, or go ahead and move up 1500, 2000. I'm worried about cutting too deep.
    '01 Katana 750
    '96 Ninja 250 (sold, but got every penny I put into it, back out!)
    '83 Porsche 944

I thought 1500 was a finer less aggressive grit than 1000, so going up in number means less abrasive and ideal for removing scratches left by previous stage

Comment

Originally posted by T.Bird View Post
      My previous owner painted my bike, but never finished wet sanding it. I have begun working on my tank and fairings. How do you know when to go up in grit? I have been lightly sanding with 1000, it looks much better...I had a LOT of orange-peel though. The reflection in the paint is still bumpy (not a clear reflection). Does this mean I should continue with the 1000, or go ahead and move up 1500, 2000. I'm worried about cutting too deep.
      The finer the grit you finish in the easier it is to buff. I would stop with 1000. Resand with 1200 that if you have it, go to 1500 then buff. If you are unsure of the film build of the clear coat, be conservative with the 1000 and 1200.

Comment

BTW, I decided to go ahead and increase to 1500 grit today. I did a QUICK run with the 1000 again, then sanded twice with the 1500. Increasing the grit does not only remove scratches from the previous grit....but seems to remove tiny orange peel spots better as well. My tank looks great. I'm about half way done!
        '01 Katana 750
        '83 Porsche 944

Comment

Pictures:

'01 Katana 750
          '83 Porsche 944

Comment

Originally posted by T.Bird View Post
            BTW, I decided to go ahead and increase to 1500 grit today. I did a QUICK run with the 1000 again, then sanded twice with the 1500. Increasing the grit does not only remove scratches from the previous grit....but seems to remove tiny orange peel spots better as well. My tank looks great. I'm about half way done!

That was the plan. It looks very good.

Comment

Working...
            X