Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

holy sh*t, just put 14 sprocket on front.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• holy sh*t, just put 14 sprocket on front.

Man I didnt think i would get such a big difference just changing the front to a 14 tooth sprocket, the front wheel just floats right off the ground and stays up there and I feel it accelerating a little better all the way threw and it didnt change top end at all. And yes I know the speedometer is off now.
    www.scrmotorcycles.com www.katanaOutlet.com
    Katana Frame Sliders
    The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.
    98+ Slider are "CyberPoet Endorsed" R.I.P.
    I couldn't have done this without you.

How far have you taken it on the top end ? Normally you lose atleast alittle bit on the top end as you gain on the low end of power.

Comment

of course you didnt lose any top end, indicated.

Comment

I didnt lose any, I have a long straight country road next to my home, I normally get it topped out at 135ish right when I have to slow down. My speedometer was at 148ish when I had to slow it down. I know that the meter is off but not by that much normal it gets to 130 then works it way to 135 I had it to 145 well before it started to have to work. If someone want to do the math using cyberpoets chart, go for it that will tell us exactly.
        Katana Frame Sliders
        The only fully tested and proven Katana sliders Rear sliders, 520 conversion, gas caps and more.

Comment

you probably lost about 10-12mph from your top speed. i dont care what your speedometer says.

Comment

dont care either way, it easier as hell to wheelie now.
            Katana Frame Sliders

Comment

If you really wanna know Im sure a local officer wouldnt mind taking his radar to you while you wheelie and then speed off at 100+ to see what you top off at

Comment

I actually know a few cops that would, but I dont think im going to press my luck, and for all the stunter haters, the road is empty no houses never any traffic maybe a car every 30 minutes, and over a mile long. Not directed toward you wildcat just saving myself from the comments.
                Katana Frame Sliders

Comment

What bike do you have 600 or 750 and what year.

Did you have to get a new chain?

I was gonna do 14 and 50 in the back

Comment

Originally posted by cexodusk

03 600 I only did front so I didnt need a new chain, I was thinking about doing 50 in back, but probly not right now this will work, If I do go to 50 will probly need to get a new chain, also my cjain was really stretched so I had to remove a few links, If yours is real loose and the tire is pushed far back you may not need one. Call sumofallparts.net they have a kit to buy new 520 chain and sprockets (you have to ask for 14 and 50) for about $130.
                    Katana Frame Sliders

Comment

Originally posted by jason05
                      you probably lost about 10-12mph from your top speed. i dont care what your speedometer says.
                      If you were previously unable to reach redline in top gear, that means you were aerodynamically limited. Your engine was unable to provide power to overcome the drag in that gear at that speed. By reducing the gearing, you have increased the engine RPMs (and therefore HP) at each road speed. So it's entirely possible that, by reducing gearing, you have increased your top speed. But that's only if you were previously aerodynamically limited, which is what your "works its way to 135" description sounds like.

To measure your speed without radar, get a handheld GPS receiver, and attach it (duct tape or wire-ties or racer tape) to your panel or windscreen. Or stick it in the clear map pocket on your tank bag.

Comment

Originally posted by BRAUNSTEIN82
                        Originally posted by cexodusk

03 600 I only did front so I didnt need a new chain, I was thinking about doing 50 in back, but probly not right now this will work, If I do go to 50 will probly need to get a new chain, also my cjain was really stretched so I had to remove a few links, If yours is real loose and the tire is pushed far back you may not need one. Call sumofallparts.net they have a kit to buy new 520 chain and sprockets (you have to ask for 14 and 50) for about $130.
                        Man, if your chain is that streched, you need a new one...... Not even to touch the fact that the wear patterns of the old chain and sprocket to the new front one is going to eat itself alive.......
                        '07 SV1000S
                        Power Commander III USB
                        M4/Yosh Ti Full Race Exhaust
                        Driven 520 chain kit
                        Spiegler SS Brake & Clutch lines

Comment

Holy bejeezus! Get a new chain!!!!!!

There are a lot of things I skimp on, but the drive chain is not one of them.

Did you ever stop to think what would happen if the chain snapped while your speedo read 145 mph "Indicated"???

Well I'll tell ya.

The chain is gonna suck up into the rear sprocket and get wedged between the swingarm and the sprocket. then the back wheel is gonna lock up like a virgin on prom night and your gonna pull in on the clutch and let off the gas with all expediency. Unfortunately that ain't gonna do diddly and your back end is going to fishtail you into a tankslapper until you finally high side at about 110 mph, not "indicated", "ACTUAL". While your sliding along the asphalt with a portly Katana rapidly catching up to you (because plastic and steel slides easier than skin and tendons) your brain is going to try to diagnose just what happened and just before it does, WHAM! that Kat is going roll on you like Oprah on Steadman..

Get off the wallet and go buy a good chain and a new rear sprocket before you cut the front one to the raggedy stretched links that are on there so you can enjoy being squidly with more confidence.

Carl-
                          "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

To start with the speed thing. I guarantee that you lost no less than 5 mph. Ive done enough gearing stuff to know. With gps of course. My bike would do 185 off gps before I tuched the gearing. With a -1 front it dropped me to 175-178 off gps. Now I run a -1 +2 and it runs at 170 maxed out with gps. Gets there pretty quick and pulling strong all the way to red.

Now for the chain deal. If you had to remove that much you need a chain quick. What Omega said is possibly the best outcome. It could snap and actually get sucked around and tear up the frame by your rearset, the engin case on the chain side, and it could actually rip your foot to pieces. That is all a split second before you get thrown off of a locked up bike. And with luck you wont get hung to the bike when it happens.

Do what you want but You really need a chain. Besides that putting a new sprocket with old chain speeds up wear on chain and sprockets. Always change all together.
                            Live Fast, Die Stupid

05 GSXR-1000 70000 miles
                            6.28 @ 122 in the 8th (short bike. 56")
                            5.90 @ 127 in the 8th (long bike. 62") Its still got more to go.

Comment

hey all, i was wondering how much it would change on my 00 600... so far as highway engine speed. i am thinking of just a -1 in the front. plus, my bike has only 6k on it and i put 1800 on it. i ALWAYS greased it every week, no matter how many miles i put on it. my chain looks perfect, but how do you tell? when would you consider a chain old?
                              Without Fuel, Fire, and Compression- Air just seems useless!

Comment

Working...
                              X