X

Homemade Fender Eliminator question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Homemade Fender Eliminator question

Well being that this weekend looks like it is going to rain again I got a lil shopping happy and bought the following items.

Yoshi RS3 skip on
    Illumiglow Reverse gauges/Led Lights
    Clear alternatives front turn signal and rear LED signal
    Arrow rear turn signals

But what I really want to do is chop that cowl off. Anyone know what I should use for the license plate holder/turn signal holder.

I read the PDF file on how to do it but the instructions don't say what was used to hold the license plate/turn signals.

You can either buy a plate holder or make one yourself. Some people have used angle-aluminum and just shaped it properly, including takes tabs for the turn signal stalks. Do a search on "shovel mod" or "shovel removal" and you may find more helpful directions. I haven't done it yet, so I'm not quite qualified on a how-to.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

I just used two L brackets to hold the plate and the turn signals in place. Do a search though, this is a common mod and I'm sure there are better ideas on the board.
      ****** WAS...Ma Ma Ma My Katana ******

Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus Latinus alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes.

Comment

you can get a competition werks fender eliminator kit, for example... but its alot cheaper to just make your own as the other mentioned. check out the bodyshop forum for lots of information on fender elims and where to get the brackets/how to make them.

Comment

I just trimmed mine right at the bottom of the plate and radiused up the sides to make it look clean. Drilled out the rivets holding the side reflectors and Voila! No need to reposition the flashers or plate and I still have adequate splash protection.

Not a "full chop" but a definite improvement and it only took about 30 minutes with a hacksaw and some fine sandpaper.

Carl-
          "Ignoring the facts does not mean that they cease to exist"

-Aldous Huxley

Comment

here are some afters of my hack job this weekend. i used a 'motrax complete arsend LED kit' and 'lite n boltz' from cycle gear as new hardware.
            the kit's being discontinued, but all the parts are available separately which is your best bet anyway. i liked the license plate bracket but the relay and lights are poop. the relay isnt compatible with katana's stock system and doesnt change flash rate at all, so i left it out. the lights fell apart as i was finger tightening them into place for mock-up, and the replacements did the same thing. the nut never tightened on the backside of the bracket, it just pulled the threaded post out of the stem of the light (the replacement lights they gave me came with some in-line resistors that didnt affect anything, instead of the relay that didnt work) i epoxy'd them all back together so they're good now, but save yourself the hassle and get a better brand of indicator so you dont have to worry about your signals falling off on a bumpy road.
            the 'light n boltz' are kinda pricey, but a damned good idea and easy way to light up your plate when your chopping up your bike - if you've never seen them, they're bolts with LED's inside them, they have pictures at cyclegear.com
            even with a few set-backs, trips to the bike shop, and cutting little pieces off slowly because i wasnt sure exactly how i was going to mount the new stuff, i was able to get this done in a few hours.
            Attached Files

Comment

This is for a pre 98+ but...

THis is for my pre-98, but you get the idea...

AZKatana, where in Tempe are you?
              Attached Files
              Screw whales, Save the titties!

Comment

Do a search on here oe ebay for a creese bracket. They are a nice stainless bracket that a guy around here makes. I think they run about $20.

Comment

i'm at mill and the 60

Comment

Used to live at Guadalupe and Maple.....

Comment

I made mine at work in about 20 minutes. I haven't bothered to paint it yet. It's not pretty but it is effective. I was thinking maybe a frame around the actual plate could make it look better. I used the original hardware so I can easily remove it to paint it or whatever.

Comment

i made mine out of bar stock aluminum at work. added angle pieces on the end and mounted between two bolts underneath.

Comment

Working...
                        X