Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New 600, Erratic, Hanging, Stalling, Etc.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With all the other mods done, I'd check one more thing. The bottom of the slides.. center hole the needle goes in. The holes wither side... are they clear or have any white nomex hex shaped inserts in them?

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post

I'd drop the jets down to no more than 1-2 sizes larger.

Also... I'm looking at the pic with the float, and the plug for the pilot jet looks deformed. Like, in the pic it looks like I can see past it into the port, and that it's not sealing the hole. Is that seated in fully and will it stay seated when the float rail isn't holding it in place?

One last thought... have you checked the petcock for a vacuum leak too? That could cause some issues.

Krey

Anyone got some 113 or 114 main jets laying around? Lol

I was removing parts and whatnot when I took these pics, but I do need to get a carb kit for these as the seals are getting stiff. There plug for the pilot jet was sealing fine however.

We made sure there were no leaks from the petcock, it's in good condition.

There are no nomex inserts around the emulsion tube.

Just as a temporary solution, couldn't enriching the mixture by turning the A/F screws out also help in this instance? I mean the problem is a lean issue.
      Last edited by brealytrent; 07-02-2017, 09:14 AM.

Comment

No such jets 112.5 115. http://jetsrus.com/. You have multiple issues that need addressed. Pick up some Mikuni 112.5 and 115 jets, OEM type paper filter (emgo) and start from there. Tune with the 112.5 first. If all goes well you're set. If not tune with the 115. At this point you'll be fighting an up hill battle.

Last edited by 92xjunker; 07-02-2017, 11:07 AM.
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by brealytrent View Post
          Anyone got some 113 or 114 main jets laying around? Lol

I was removing parts and whatnot when I took these pics, but I do need to get a carb kit for these as the seals are getting stiff. There plug for the pilot jet was sealing fine however.

We made sure there were no leaks from the petcock, it's in good condition.

There are no nomex inserts around the emulsion tube.

Just as a temporary solution, couldn't enriching the mixture by turning the A/F screws out also help in this instance? I mean the problem is a lean issue.
          Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          No such jets 112 115. http://jetsrus.com/. You have multiple issues that need addressed. Pick up some Mikuni 112.5 and 115 jets, OEM type paper filter (emgo) and start from there. Tune with the 112 first. If all goes well you're set. If not tune with the 115. At this point you'll be fighting an up hill battle.

http://jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_street/..._1990-1995.htm
          I agree with 92...

Just to confirm, you mentioned nomex around emulsion tube... I'm asking about this part here... this has the inserts (white parts in the 2 holes) and they should not be present in yours...

You could theoretically go as high as 4.5 turns on the a/f screws. That may improve one aspect, but would cause other issues to be addressed, not just a simple fix. I'd start with more appropriate jet sizes and correct air filter.

Then you can do a drop down adjustment to find the exact a/f setting your bike needs. Google "drop down method" for a/f screw adjustment for lots of info and vids on how to do that.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Originally posted by Kreylyn View Post
            I agree with 92...

Just to confirm, you mentioned nomex around emulsion tube... I'm asking about this part here... this has the inserts (white parts in the 2 holes) and they should not be present in yours...

Sorry, no there weren't any in the slider. I apologize for my lack of knowledge with carburetors. I've worked on old EFI and mechanical fuel injection systems, but never carburetors!

I've ordered 112.5 main jets, an OEM air filter, and carb rebuild kits. Now we've just got to wait I guess.

Comment

Did you also get 115 jets? You may need them.
              "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
              spammer police
              USAF veteran

Comment

Did you also get 115 jets? You may need them.
                Yep

Comment

I'll keep it short: Factory air filter, carb rebuild kits, and 112.5 jets installed - Zero change. Still hangs at 3-5k rpms. You can get it to stop hanging by turning the idle adjustment, but then it won't idle. Adjusting it back to ~1300 rpm leads to it slowly creeping and then shooting up to 3-5k rpms.

Comment

Have you synced the carbs?
                    spammer police
                    USAF veteran

Comment

I was having a similar issue as OP a couple of days ago.

Hanging idle, and stalling bogging at part throttle.

Pulled my tank off and it turns out that a rubber nipple on the top of carb #3 popped off and I had a massive vacuum leak.

50c for a new one and everything was perfect.

Just my 2c, just be sure you give your carbs a good inspection and test for leaks around the intake boots as well.
                      Tekgnomes Crazy Custom Fighter
                      The Screaming Banshee <

Big Bore B12 swapped madness

Comment

Have you synced the carbs?
                        Of course!!! They were perfect even before I synced them

And as to Tekgnome's statement - do you REALLY think that I would have done all this work and NOT checked for vacuum leaks multiple times? I've basically doused this entire engine in brake clean and found nothing. Nothing makes sense and nothing seems to fix it... I'm thinking about just getting rid of it at this point as I'm sick of throwing parts at it blindly.

Comment

If the bike was in my garage, my next steps would be trouble shooting with the following steps...

Take the throttle cable(s) off. Start the bike, note if any changes. If not, then...

Pull the carbs, do a bench sync check. This step would include backing the idle cable all the way out first (very important you do this step!), then verifying all 4 butterflies are near equal, and will fully close. Also I would operate the throttle linkage to make sure the butterflies will slowly open with no clicking or hanging, and will slowly close the same way. Letting them snap shut should give you the same position as slowly closing.

IF nothing was hanging up, and all were equal...

I would go up 1/2 turn on the a/f screws.

Put them back on the bike and run it, note any differences. You do not need to put the throttle cable on to do this, you can just operate the throttle by hand.

If the idle still hangs up high, then repeat the a/f screw setting out another 1/2 turn. Continue this until a change happens.

If you hit 4.5 turns out, and no change..... stop, there is definately something else going on.

Krey
                          Last edited by Kreylyn; 07-12-2017, 06:22 AM.
                          93 750 Kat

Comment

Finally!

Stock-sized main jet, stock air filter, needle jets on second richest setting, with A/F screws turned out 4.5 turns, and finally the hanging has stopped! Power is linear, with no flat spots.

I feel like we've tried similar settings (with the 120 main jet) but it was still hanging. I don't know, but it seems happy where it is now so I'm not going to mess with it any more, at least for the time being... Time to go ride!
                            Last edited by brealytrent; 07-14-2017, 10:00 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by brealytrent View Post
                              Stock-sized main jet, stock air filter, needle jets on second richest setting, with A/F screws turned out 4.5 turns, and finally the hanging has stopped! Power is linear, with no flat spots.
                              Glad it's working for you ATM, but that tells me those carbs have something up with the pilot jet system. Possibly wrong size air jet, or still something - somewhere that is partially blocking the system to prevent full fuel draw.

I could see 3-3.25 turns with an aftermarket header, but 4.5 is way out there for that setup.

Krey
                              93 750 Kat

Comment

Working...
                              X