X

shorty pipe

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• shorty pipe

ok so i was gettin alil tired of the ss2r so a couple of my riding buddies thought we should cut my stock pipe into a slant cut shorty...turned out lookin good even painted it black with some hi temp paint jus wondered if this would hurt my kat at all i dnt think it will jus seein what everybody else thinks....thanks

umm im guessing the baffle was taken out so you will have to put something in its place so that you can keep back pressure..... what are you doing with the ssr2
    time to nut up or shut up
    Originally posted by Rican Katgrl
    The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

well we gig it cause my brother has one on his 06 gsxr 600 that he ordered and it didn have any kind of baffle in it.....its layn in my garage

Comment

GIG????? did you mean dig it
        The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.

Comment

no i meant did lol stupid ipod touch

Comment

Originally posted by 02YeLLoKaT View Post
            ok so i was gettin alil tired of the ss2r so a couple of my riding buddies thought we should cut my stock pipe into a slant cut shorty...turned out lookin good even painted it black with some hi temp paint jus wondered if this would hurt my kat at all i dnt think it will jus seein what everybody else thinks....thanks

Would you consider selling the SS2R???? How much?

Comment

No it wont hurt your bike mechanically. Performance wise yes, hearing yes, irritation of other riders yes.
              90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
              I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
              Originally posted by soulless kaos
              but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

actually it can cause premature wear on the valves because they cool faster than the rest of the engine due to no heat being trapped in teh pipes

Comment

I put the vance and hines back on felt like it didn have as much power without it! Thanks for all the answers though

Comment

Originally posted by 1990gsx 600 View Post
                    actually it can cause premature wear on the valves because they cool faster than the rest of the engine due to no heat being trapped in teh pipes
                    I would like to see some proof of this idea...
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
                      I would like to see some proof of this idea...

yeah, same hear. i hear this kinda crap all the time. only way it is gonna happen is if you are running NO EXHAUST at all. not even a header. and i doubt anyone is riding around with nothing on it.
                      lets see the straight facts backing this statement up. its easy to throw one out there, not so easy to prove.

Comment

well we will wait for sqiuggy or waltari or kreylyn or one of the numerous post whores that know there stuff chime in
                        http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.p...47#post1989247 heres a new thread that i just started to settle the dispute
                        Last edited by 1990gsx 600; 09-06-2010, 05:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 88kat60009
                          its true. i actually had a lengthy discussion about this with my automotive teacher in college. if theres no back pressure, during valve overlap, cool air that is coming in from the intake valves being open will cause the exhaust valve to cool extremely rapidly, causing valve face and valve seat damage due to temperature changing.

having back pressure in the exhaust prevents the cool intake air from going out the exhaust ports and across the exhaust valves

Did your lengthy discussion reveal how the hot exhaust flow leaves the exhaust valve during overlap, but the cold intake flow is mysteriously stopped, during that same overlap period?
                          93 1100....big kitty!

Check out the hook while my DJ revolves it...

Comment

your automotve teacher in college has no business teaching if his thinking is that flawed. sounds like another auto tech that couldnt make it so decided to teach.

Comment

I ride with alot of guys that have the M4 shorty pipes on their bikes. I wanted a "better" throaty sound I did the same with my stock pipe. I cut the midpipe just past the holding tab and left the baffles IN the pipe. Then I cut the tip of the stock can off and had it welded to it to give it a finished look. Sounds good but I will be keeping my Yosh pipe just in case. What do ya think of the look?pipe2.jpg

pipe1.jpg
                              Just joined a couple months ago. Now I'm hooked.

Comment

Working...
                              X