Replacement Headlight

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Replacement Headlight

Hi All,

I am looking to replace my headlights. I've had one of my PIAA Xtreme White light bulbs burn out on me and to replace is is nearly $80 and I've only used the light a few months. I thought the Sylvania Silverstars would be a cheaper but effective replacement.

Any thoughts?
    "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

can't tell ya really....I don't even remember what I am running. the only advice I can give you is not go just grab the brightest one you can. I don't remember the wattage I used...think it was 90/110....could have been more, but anyway, it got so hot it melted my plug....so just be careful for that.
    I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
      can't tell ya really....I don't even remember what I am running. the only advice I can give you is not go just grab the brightest one you can. I don't remember the wattage I used...think it was 90/110....could have been more, but anyway, it got so hot it melted my plug....so just be careful for that.
      Good point. The wattage is 55/60W for the PIAA, although it acts as if it was effectively a higher wattage. I'll remember this when I buy.
      "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

At $35 a set I think that Silverstars are worth a shot. They have received many good reviews.

Comment

Is there no warranty on the PIAAS? I thought it was one year but I could be wrong.

Comment

The Silverstars are great. I like them better than the $80 set of PIAA's I had. Nice clean white light.
            -Stephen

the future's uncertain, and the end is always near - The Doors

Comment

Stay with 55/60W for sure. I had a 90/110 in my bike and luckily it just kept blowing fuses. Thanks to the Kats on this forum, we collectively figured it out.

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Originally posted by gytrdunkat
                Stay with 55/60W for sure. I had a 90/110 in my bike and luckily it just kept blowing fuses. Thanks to the Kats on this forum, we collectively figured it out.
                lucky you. when my plug melted I was about 45-50 minutes from home....in the middle of the night. Thank god my bike has big flashers in the front that also work as running lights. I had to rely on just an orange glow emmediately in front of me. it took me over 2 hours to make it home.
                I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Hi All,

I did some due diligence work and I managed to find out the following:

- PIAA does have a 1 year replacement warranty from the date of purchase.
                  - According to Sylvania, the H4 and 9003 bulbs are interchangeable in terms of application.
                  - In addition to the above the 9003 bulbs tend to last longer than H4 bulbs and Sylvania recommends them to users.
                  - GE makes a set of Nighthawk bulbs that competes favourably with the Silverstars.

I bought a set of Nighhawks and I'll let everyone know if they are better (the same or worse) than the PIAAs I currently have.

Comment

Hi All,

I purchased and installed a set of GE 9003 bulb Nighthawks. Although they are brighter than stock, they are not as good as the PIAA Xtreme White H4 bulbs that I had on. However, at 1/3 the cost I can't complain too much. I would recommend them as an upgrade to the OEM lights, which are pretty good to begin with.

Bear in mind that when you check for brightness, don't just look at the lights. Some lights appear to be brighter when looking directly at them However, this apparent brightness can be due to glare and is not representative of their light output. Ride out on the open road to make a determination on whether there is an improvement or not.

Comment

Next time try these, they are brighter than my silverstars and they have a lifetime warranty, not to mention the price!! http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MTEC-...00517089QQrdZ1
                      R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                      X