Hi from the UK

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi from the UK

Hi all and greetings from the UK
    Im a re-tread on my third incarnation of biking; the first a beautiful flame red Suzuki GT550, the second (in my 30s) a black GT380 and crap Yamaha 250 ‘thudder’ and now a rather stunning 2002 750 Kat in black. An accidental purchase but one I’m glad I made; I was smitten with an MT-01 but thought the outlay was high for a first bike and the options at the time (CBR600 with dodgy battery) and SVR650 (stunning Yellow but killed my wrists) were soon dismissed as what I thought was an unaffordable machine was in fact affordable. I bought him 22 months ago with 11000 miles on the clock and 7 previous owners. Mental! Nothing done to him at all; completely untouched except for new tyres. He now has only one non standard addition; 2 sets of 6 ultra bright LED strobes (12 in all) tucked away under the headlight fairing. Whilst not strictly legal here in the UK they prevented the recurrence of me almost becoming a hood ornament on an idiot car drivers piece of crud. Rhetorical question – how can you NOT see two rather big bright headlights coming toward you on a clear and open road? So now I have a set of lights used when filtering or coming into heavy traffic.
    Anyways Chuck (my bike – called Chuck Foo after taking the mickey out of a Kawasaki rider (Chuck Foo and the bike you rode in on)) has some 5000 extra miles on him, has killed a lot of flies, has ridden in all weathers, handles at low speed like a settee with a broken castor, and provides me with a way of removing the problems of a demanding pressure job but at the moment is so much fun. He has a little rust but I intend to take him to factory condition; he may not turn heads at the bike meets I go to but he, and all Katanas, are important in our biking heritage and lets face it, owning a katana says something about all of us and its not R1s, Speed Triples, Harleys (oh god no) or Adventure bikes…. Its about being proud of being unique J
    Currently wondering why my rear shock seems to have unset its pre-load and where I can get my own spanner from…
    Keep posting J
    D

Welcome to KR!
    Pre load adjustment: picked mine up at a local motorcycle gear store. Shocks seem to have only a few standard sizes for preload adjustment,at least I've only seen 2 sizes sold here. Can't for the life of me find one for adjusting the steering stem nut though (same type but smaller) probably end up getting something online.
    There's a manual available for dowoad in the wiki if you do your own maintenance, comes in rather handy.

Any pics of your bike?
    Enjoy!
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

Welcome to kr and enjoy

Comment

I got my '98 600 last August. Have ridden almost 5,000 miles over the winter here in Colorado. I have not seen another Kat while out riding. I did see a great looking red pre once coming out of the neighborhood but that's it. I love having a bike that is different. I have also received quite a few compliments while stopped.
        Welcome to KR.

Comment

Working...
        X