X

Possible solenoid/wiring issue??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Possible solenoid/wiring issue??

Hey guys. I'm working on a 98 Kat 600 with a 2004 engine. I have the clutch switch and side stand switch bypassed. All fuses good. Battery charged. Bike is in neutral. When I hit the start button there is a very quite click at the solenoid. When I hit the kill switch this does not happen, which leads me to believe the button and switch work(and they worked before). When I use a screwdriver to jump the relay, the engine spins and I get spark and gas. (I verified every plug was sparking and sprayed starting fluid in the airbox, then removed airbox and sprayed into carbs.) A little backfire but it still doesn't sound like it wants to run. Maybe I missed something when I reconnected everything on the wiring harnesses when I swapped the engine??

There are 2 connectors that aren't connected. One is up front on the right of the frame for the California model carb fan, correct? ---The other has the same style connector as the one that goes to the alternator with the orange wire, except it has a red wire, and a black wire with a red trace. Not sure what this is....I switched the two with no change....

Idk...Help me out...
    sigpic

Originally posted by Million$ View Post
    Hey guys. I'm working on a 98 Kat 600 with a 2004 engine. I have the clutch switch and side stand switch bypassed. All fuses good. Battery charged. Bike is in neutral. When I hit the start button there is a very quite click at the solenoid. When I hit the kill switch this does not happen, which leads me to believe the button and switch work(and they worked before). When I use a screwdriver to jump the relay, the engine spins and I get spark and gas. (I verified every plug was sparking and sprayed starting fluid in the airbox, then removed airbox and sprayed into carbs.) A little backfire but it still doesn't sound like it wants to run. Maybe I missed something when I reconnected everything on the wiring harnesses when I swapped the engine??

There are 2 connectors that aren't connected. One is up front on the right of the frame for the California model carb fan, correct? ---The other has the same style connector as the one that goes to the alternator with the orange wire, except it has a red wire, and a black wire with a red trace. Not sure what this is....I switched the two with no change....

Idk...Help me out...
    Get a volt meter... (walmart, less than 10 bucks! if you need)

Use it to verify your getting power to the starter solenoid.

I'd suggest you check all fuses including the fuse at the starter solenoid before spending any $

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Got it started. Solenoid.
      sigpic

Comment

Working...
      X