X

Tire Size

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tire Size

Hey there i have a 94 katana just wondering what the best size front tire is to put on the bike. Wondering if i should stay stock sizes or can i go larger and if so will this effect my spedo. Thanks for any info

Use the search tab top right there are 1000000 posts about this.

But to answer your question.

MOST tire brands for a pre must be run at 120/70/17 front and 150/70/17 rear

HOWEVER I know continental road/sport attacks have a 160/60/17 that is safe to run on the rear of a pre 98 katana.

Comment

I have the same debate about 06 750. I am currently running the 120/70 front and the 150/70 Rear. My question is - how different is the ride if I go to a 170 or 180/55 (or 60) on the rear? Really not planning on the track or a lot of twisties, but more on changing up the looks a little.

Comment

the ONLY two tire sizes that will safely fit on the rear of a stock katana are 150/70/17 and 160/60/17

If you want to change the looks of the kat then you need to modify the swingarm (cut and weld) and get a gsxr rim. Otherwise your stuck with what you got.

Sorry guys.

I CAN say, personally. I think the conti sport tires are the best and the 120 and 160 setup I have going on right now is perfect. Your call.

Comment

I find this thread to be interesting because my '98 Kat has 150/70 tire on rear wheel. How do I know if the bike has been modified and so on? I am in a need of new tires so I want to jump in this thread.
          '98 Suzuki GSX600 Katana

Comment

Originally posted by JinxXx0085 View Post
            I find this thread to be interesting because my '98 Kat has 150/70 tire on rear wheel. How do I know if the bike has been modified and so on? I am in a need of new tires so I want to jump in this thread.
            Like I said before... STOCK is 120/70/17 front 150/70/17 rear. Your tire is stock.

you CAN put a 160/60/17 on if you want (much lower profile, I think it looks wayyyyy better). Thats the only other tire size that will safely work.

If your looking for new tires I HIGHLY Recommend these (in the 120 and 160 size) http://www.ridedirect.com/showProduc...1097&cat_id=42

2 tires w/free shipping $228
            Last edited by IndyGunner; 03-23-2009, 11:21 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by JinxXx0085 View Post
              If your not sure, it probably has not been modified. But, for pre 98s, the rear rim is a 3.5", and the post 98s have a 4.5" rear rim. If you have a rim that fits one of those (and your swingarm is not extended), then your bike has most likely not be modified. It's a combination of rim size, and clearance that limits the tire sizes on Kats.

Krey
              93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Aww crap!! I meant to say 170/60!! My mistake! So, is this tire ok for 98 kats? I've been riding around with this tire on and didn't seem to have any problem but I am a new rider so what do I know??

I just looked at the link... awesome prices! Is Dunlop good? I had a store recommending me Dunlops.

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                Like I said before... STOCK is 120/70/17 front 150/70/17 rear. Your tire is stock.

you CAN put a 160/60/17 on if you want (much lower profile, I think it looks wayyyyy better). Thats the only other tire size that will safely work.

If your looking for new tires I HIGHLY Recommend these (in the 120 and 160 size) http://www.ridedirect.com/showProduc...1097&cat_id=42

2 tires w/free shipping $228
                Last edited by JinxXx0085; 03-24-2009, 05:18 PM.
                '98 Suzuki GSX600 Katana

Comment

170/60??? uhhhhh I dont think so... lol....

if you have a katana stick to continental sport attacks (or road attacks) or metzler z6

Comment

LOL! I'm more than happy to take a pic of the tire for you! It indeed is 170/60.
                    Continental, is it what other people call it as conti for short?
                    I looked up metzler yesterday and they were pricey! What's wrong with other brands such as Dunlop or Michelin?

Originally posted by Edbean View Post
                    170/60??? uhhhhh I dont think so... lol....

if you have a katana stick to continental sport attacks (or road attacks) or metzler z6
                    '98 Suzuki GSX600 Katana

Comment

Water dispersion, silica content, engineering, live span, etc.

Personally dude, If you want long lasting sport touring tires get conti road attacks, if you ride hard get the sport attacks.

Ive never heard a bad thing about them and love mine. Its up to you though, good luck.

Comment

I don't suppose anything is wrong with them, but the Conti -(force or road attacks, which ever of the two you have) are great tires for the price. I'm using the contiforce tires now and I am loving them.

170/60 is slightly over the fitment size for the rim you have. This will reduce the life of the tire and it's performance in extream situations, and also increase the likely hood of failure in extream conditions. It's not recomended but... it will mount up (as you know since it's already on your bike.)

Wider size may run into clearance issues with the break arm, and an extream shape deformation of the tire/road contact surface making it very unsafe to ride (the tire won't perform as it should, and heat buildup may be too great). Going larger I would recomend changing the rim to accomadate the larger tire.

Krey
                        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                        X