X

Cleaned carbs, now bike wont run!!!

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cleaned carbs, now bike wont run!!!

I cleaned out my carbs, and when i put everything back the bike wouldnt start!! I figured the carb cleaner got into the chamber and is not combustable. So i push start the bike and it starts to run, but as soon as i gave it gas, it died. I gave up trying to start it hoping sum1 here could help out.

Don't want to be over simple, but you are trying to start it in prime.....right?

Comment

Don't want to be over simple, but you are trying to start it in prime.....right?

(what's up with all the double posts DW??? sheeesh...)

Comment

Dennis tapped the most likely cause -- the bowls and fuel lines are empty and need to be refilled via the PRIME position on the petcock (try 2 minutes).

The other obvious possible problems are:
        Fuel filter not facing downhill (thus causing a fuel-supply issue);
        Fuel line(s) kinked (blocked);
        Too much choke (or choke sticking);
        Poor seal at the airbox-to-carb connections.

When you say you cleaned out your carbs, do you mean that you removed the airbox and sprayed them out with carb cleaner, or that you actively disassembled them?

Good Luck!
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Took apart the carbs removed jets cleaned them, took out float valves cleaned, sprayed down the interior of the carbs with carb clearner, adjusted float hieght of only 1 carb bc the rest were ok. changed o rings on float valves and used compressed air on all the ports of the carbs. . . i think that about covers it. tried running it on prime still no go. . . will try again in the mornin, i really want to ride b4 it gets real cold!!!

Comment

You might want to go read through Doug771's various webpages on CV carbs and carb rebuilds:

Sounds like you've got something very far off of where it's supposed to be, failed to connect a vacuum or fuel line, or didn't get a seal right.

Unfortunately, it's something virtually impossible to troubleshoot from a distance without more insight on what was left over when you were finished (just teasing).

Cheers
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

now that i think about it, i probably didnt leave the bike on prime for long enough, and since this is a gravity feed fuel system, i think ill need to cut some of that hose cuz its pretty long. Ill c what happens in the mornin and giv an update, appreciate all the quick responses!!

Comment

I have a question that is in line with NoNafs' problem.

93 Kat 600

Dismantled and Cleaned carbs, new exhaust, new plugs, new oil....has sat for quite a while (about 2 months). Started fine, but has plenty of smoke coming from the exhaust....could this just be the crap of it sitting buring off?

Comment

Originally posted by kickitjp
                  I have a question that is in line with NoNafs' problem.

93 Kat 600

Dismantled and Cleaned carbs, new exhaust, new plugs, new oil....has sat for quite a while (about 2 months). Started fine, but has plenty of smoke coming from the exhaust....could this just be the crap of it sitting buring off?
                  What color was the smoke?

Figure white is probably condensation coming off the interior of the exhaust and whatever formed in the oil. Darker smoke may indicate a problem, as that means oil is burning. Carb cleaner could burn either way, depending on what's in it. The real question is whether it's a temporary problem (resolves itself in 10 minutes of running, or however long it takes the engine to heat up that first time to full operating temp) or if it smokes regularly after that.

Cheers
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Ok, so i leave the bike to prime for a couple minutes, sprayed some starter fluid and guess what, it started right up!!!! so i rode up and down the street just to make sure it was running ok, it was doing some weird things, like revving up to 6k every time i pulled the clutch, so by the time i got home i was pulling into the driveway and held the clutch to slow down and the rpms dropped to 1k and then it started to sputter and died. I figured the idle cable wasnt set high enough so i tightened it a bit and now it wont start at all. this is so frustrating. . .

Comment

Originally posted by NoNafs
                      Ok, so i leave the bike to prime for a couple minutes, sprayed some starter fluid and guess what, it started right up!!!! so i rode up and down the street just to make sure it was running ok, it was doing some weird things, like revving up to 6k every time i pulled the clutch, so by the time i got home i was pulling into the driveway and held the clutch to slow down and the rpms dropped to 1k and then it started to sputter and died. I figured the idle cable wasnt set high enough so i tightened it a bit and now it wont start at all. this is so frustrating. . .
                      Idle running up to 6k without throttle is usually one or more of the following:
                      (A) stuck or socially-maladjusted choke cable (stuck on);
                      (B) throttle cables way way too tight or maladjusted;
                      (C) idle adjustment thumbwheel way off (shouldn't be able to get it to 6k by itself, but could play a role);
                      (D) air leak at the carb boots.

Start the bike again, then spray the area around the outside of the boots from the airbox to the engine down with starter fluid or WD-40. Does the idle vary at all? If so, then a lose or misseated boot (pulling in air) is a contributing factor (or possibly the only issue).

Disconnect the choke cable at the carbs. Check for free operation of the choke slider bar the cable normally operates. If it still does it with the choke cable off and the slider bar working right, rule out the choke cable. (HINT: a healthy choke cable should take virtually zero effort to move, a one-finger operation). If it cures it, replace the choke cable.

Leaving the choke cable off for now, disconnect the throttle cables at the throttle grip and let them hang free. Retest. If it still goes to 6k RPM with the throttle cables hanging free at the far end, and none of the other things above made a difference either, then it lies in the carbs themselves, such as a bad or misseated seal, bad float height adjustment, sticking float bowl, etc.

Good Luck!
                      =-= The CyberPoet
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Friend's bike over the soummer was doing the same thing right after he cleaned his carbs . He took it to a shop after we spent half the summer messing with it . Turns out it was the pilot jets were still clogged . This after they were cleaned TWICE ! Just something else to consider .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

[quote="The CyberPoet

Start the bike again, then spray the area around the outside of the boots from the airbox to the engine down with starter fluid or WD-40. Does the idle vary at all? If so, then a lose or misseated boot (pulling in air) is a contributing factor (or possibly the only issue).

Good Luck!
                          =-= The CyberPoet[/quote]

wd-40 is fine but i wouldn't go spraying starting fluid all over my bike.

tim

Comment

Working...
                          X