X

Looking for AF set settings 80 GS 750

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Looking for AF set settings 80 GS 750

Need a little help from someone who knows the older munuki carbs. They are on an 80 GS 750. Someone put in a rebuild kit that included the af screws and seats along with everything else inside. Anyhow, the thing wont run off choke. I know it means theres probably junk in the pilot circuit <gonna break into it later today>. But I did notice they had the AF screws set randomly.

One was at 4 turns, the other was at 2, another was at 5 1/3. I turned them back to 2 1/4 since everything on the bike is stock including the airbox. However I cant find what the proper setting for the screws should be. My local dealership said, back then, you would get fined for messing with the AF screws and they originally had paint on them so they could tell if they were moved. But suzuki doesnt supply even the dealer with the screw settings since they werent supposed to be touched.

Any idea as to what should be proper for this bike?
    If its not broke, Hit it with a bigger hammer and blame it on cheap imports

RIP Dad 3/15/08 Love and miss ya already

Originally posted by Nero
    Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Well, the first place I would check is www.thegsresources.com

I think I would start at 3 turns out.

I think the 1100 is at 4 turns out...
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

yeah, I don't think 2 1/4 will be rich enough, turn those out to 3, I agree with Steve.

Comment

GS resources is saying like 1.25-1.75 turns out. How big are the main jets?
        -Steve

sigpic

Comment

They are stock mains, the factory stuff was put back in. The rebuild kits came from the 'zuki dealer. Sorry for the dekayed responce, I just got up from working third. I'm going to go tear into them now, then I have to work again tonight, So wont reply till tommorow morn.

Even I played for a minute or so, then I recovered what little manhood I had left and stopped.

Comment

Ok, finally home from work and ready for bed. Anyhow I have the jet in front of me, Its a 112.5 main, The originals were also. I might need to get a new carb for one since I snapped one of the aluminum arms that holds the float last night. I was trying to remove the pin with an automatic center punch and pop, the sucker hit the floor. Grrrrr!! 3 of the 4 pilot jets were blocked at the tip and I cleaned everything else out agian. Going to see what I can do regarding the one carb with the snapped aluminum float support arm today.

Steve, I figured it probably would be lower since they were stingy bastards back then.. the EPA that is. See if that 1.25 to 1.75 applies to the 112.5 mains.
            Thanks

Comment

Well, the thing is, you need to start from stock, then move up a little if it's still too lean. There's a big difference between 1.75 and 3 turns!
              -Steve

sigpic

Comment

yeah there is certainly a BIG difference

Comment

Problem solved finally.

Put everything back together, and she came to life. Idle was high 3-4k range, Adjusting the screw for the idle didnt help. So I sat and thought about it a bit. Started it up agian and partially covered the hole in the first part of the airbox and the Idle would race up. However Blipping the throttle would make it fall on its face.

Peered into the first part of the airbox, I could see feul spraying from the venturies, so I could tell the mains, at least on two were working correctly. But I couldnt get the idle down and the throttle issue was still there. Tried setting the AF screws everywhere from 1 turn out to three and a half turns. Still wouldnt pony up on the throttle unless I choked it.

Lessoned learned on the older style Muniki carbs. Since they have a two peice airbox. All parts of it need to be attached to get it to run worthy to tune. I had the filter part removed and thats when it was acting all weird. It was acting like it was getting too much air. I added the filter box back and was able to get throttle responce back.

Unlike my 93 carbs, This thing isnt able to respond properly without the restrictions in place. It smelled best around 1 1/3 turns out after this. Gave the bike back to my friend and told him to try it out. Said its running better than it has in years. He bought it new in 80 and its only got 26k for milage on it.

So needless to say, thanks to you Steve and Arsenic for the help with the range of the screws. I figured they would be on the lean side. Which I needed to set them at. I told him to ride it for a few days and bring it back so I can check the plugs. As for the upright arms.... Im looking for a new carb body for that to replace it.

Comment

Working...
                  X