X

Float Adj. 750 Kantana

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Float Adj. 750 Kantana

Hi everyone great looking place this is....

I was wondering if anyone has the float adj for a 1998' 750 katana?

My bike only has 3700 miles on it but if I leave it setting for more than a couple days the cylenders fill with fuel...

Any help would be great....
    Again thanx in advance......

That sounds more like time to clean the carbs.
    carb 102 - http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=131010
    Last edited by ZukiFred; 08-11-2015, 08:57 AM.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

You need Carbs 102, time for a cleaning.
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

up to 1998 it was 14.6 mm for your float heights. Plus or minus - 1mm

And while your in there its best you clean your carbs !!
        Last edited by loneraider; 08-11-2015, 11:15 AM.

Comment

You might also want to rebuild the petcock. Unless you have left it set to Prime, it should not allow fuel to pass with the engine off.

1997 GSX750F

Comment

Oh-- and change the oil & filter.

Comment

Thanks for the great info guys,

I adjusted the floats and learned that i have a bad needle and seat.
              Where is the most reasonable priced site i can order these from..

Again, thanx to everyone for all the great info.

Comment

www.bikwbandit.com is where I get my parts from but, pm arsenic first. He may have one for you.
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Not sure if I should hijack this thread, or start a new one, but I am in the middle of a carb rebuild on my bike - 2002 GSX750F. Got the K&L 15-5082 rebuild kit and have put it all back together. My problem is that gas keeps leaking out of the pilot jet air valve. I have checked the floats, the needle, the spring on the needle, the oring for the needle seat. Everything. I have adjusted the floats up and down so many times my head hurts (from gas fumes due to all the draining and retesting, I'm sure...).

Any ideas what my problem could be? I've verified the needle actually stops flow by flipping the carb over, holding the needles up with my hands and no gas flow, but when I assemble everything it never fails that I get gas everywhere.

I am not using the actual tank, and have made a makeshift setup at the moment with a funnel. I thought maybe my fuel source was putting too much head pressure on the needle and forcing gas past it, but that's not the case.

Any ideas what my problem could be?

Also...where is the correct measuring point for float height? Neither Carbs 102 or the service manual really specify. Is it at the top of the curved part of the float, or is it just under at the flat lipped area? What about placement of my measuring point. Is it in the middle of the float, the part closest to the pivoting point, furthest? I haven't found anything explicitly that states how exactly to measure.

Let me know if I need to make a new thread and I'll delete this post.

Comment

Thanx for all the great info guys......

Comment

I had the same problem. Leaky, leaky, no matter what I did. I broke down and bought the rebuild kits and installed them. Still leaked. I kept adjusting the float heights until they finally stopped. It seemed to be a balance thing. First 1 and 4 were leaking. Adjusted. Then 2 and 4. Then just 4. Then... No leaks. -----Bike starts and runs. Hasn't leaked in days. Problem now is it only starts on choke. So I guess I have to clean again. And I need a new battery.
                      sigpic

Comment

Just wanted to give an update - Found out that the issue with leaking gas was that I was just not running the bike once I filled the bowls with gas. I was not using the tank, just a funnel to feed gas. I think what happened was the rush of gas that I was pouring into the carbs was pushing it's way out through whatever hole it could find before the needle valve could seal completely, and then once it started pouring out the air valve, it wanted to keep moving gas in that direction, like it had developed a vacuum in the bowl area. Once I started the bike, BOOM! no more leaking. Hope this helps out the next guy trying to figure out what is wrong with his leaking bowls after a complete rebuild with all new components.

Also, the float height is measured at the topmost point of the carb, and the ruler/calipers should be 90degrees from the housing of the aluminum body. the float adjustment tab really should not be bent more than 10-15degrees to achieve this. if you are going more than that, you are probably doing something wrong.

Cheers!

Comment

What did you end up adjusting your float levels to? I've got a 1998 750, and I've seen conflicting info that it should be 13mm +/- 0.5mm, and 14.6mm +/- 1mm. Any idea?

Comment

Originally posted by jcolasante View Post
                            What did you end up adjusting your float levels to? I've got a 1998 750, and I've seen conflicting info that it should be 13mm +/- 0.5mm, and 14.6mm +/- 1mm. Any idea?
                            98-06 = 13mm.

the 89-97 pre kat is 14.6mm

So to make sure I'm clear... YOUR bike is 13mm.
                            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Thanks. I ended up going with 13.5mm, the bike is running great now.

Comment

Working...
                              X