No announcement yet.
X

El Camino's

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well I picked it up Friday. I couldn't stand waiting. Drove to Jacksonville (150 miles from me) and picked it up for $1000. There was a slight miss in lower gears but all in all in great running condition. So I checked all the fluids and air pressure and drove it home. It's hummed down I-10 at 70-75 with no issues. Got it home, went and got a tag and title transfer, went to Advance Auto Parts picked up everything for an Oil and Filter Change, Transmission Service (and filter), Plugs, Plug Wires, Dist. Cap and Rotor button. Spend most all day Saturday working on it. Got everything installed except the plug wires, cap, and rotor button (gonna get that this weekend).

It's still missing a bit. I need to pull the carb and replace or clean the hell out of it, Leaning torwards replacement I want a Holley any way. Also I need to replace alot of hoses most of them are original from the looks of it and dry rotted and cracked to hell, which also could be the cause of the miss, vacuum issues.

Still waiting on my paint guy to come take a look and let me know the damage. But so far so good. I'll get some pics up soon.

and yes it does have a 305 not a 350.

I dont have "hobbies" I'm developing a robust Post-Apocalyptic skill set....

http://www.excessivehoppyness.blogspot.com

Comment

Hey just wanted to post up some pics and progress. So far with the restoration of the 1984 El Camino Conquista under way I wanted to make a thread to update progress through out the restoration. Also wanted to post plans from the ground up.

Done so far:
      Oil and Filter Change
      Transmission Service w/ Filter Change
      New Airfilter (will be K&N soon)
      Replaced Dist. cap, and rotor button
      New plugs and wires
      Cleaned and adjusted the carb.

When I got her she had a slight miss but since all of the above has been completed she fells totally renewed and the 305 has plenty of power.

Plans (Exterior/Motor):
      Replace hood with Cowl Style Hood
      Spray In Bed Liner
      Bed cover
      Window Tint
      Paint and body work (still debating color)
      new brakes all the way around
      new shocks all the way around
      replace/repair font bumper
      Flowmastet exhaust
      Hooker Headers

Plans (Interior)
      Buckets
      Center Console
      Repair/replace cracks in the dash
      Replace gauges (speedo and tach not working)
      CD Player
      Replace all speakers inside
      one 10" or two 8's in the storage
      Work on door panels to accommodate some 6.5': Speakers
      Get power locks working
      Replace all door seals...
      Grant Steering Wheel

So far this is what I have. I'm hoping I can get most of this accomplished for around $5,000 then I will have a total investment of $6,000 in the car. Here are some pics of how she sits now. I will update as progress is made.

Thats right GOTTA SUPPORT THE TROOPS BABY!!!!!!!

GO WILDCATS!!!!!!!

Comment

Monte Carlo and later Malbiu dashes are a bolt in.

Monte Carlo SS gauges (I like the later 86 and up style) will bolt right into your dash.

Wanna cheap boost in acceleration? Look for a Monte Carlo SS rear end. They came with 3.73 gears and are a straight bolt in.

For the money, Bilstein shocks are hard to beat. KYB are nice...but they do tend to ride rough.

Look for the bigger sway bar from a Monte Carlo SS, front and rear. They are straight bolt on's to your Elco and will improve your handling a TON

Headers...

If you don't have smog regs to deal with...look for the Hedman headers that come with a Y-pipe for Monte Carlo 78-88.

Hooker makes a nice catback as well that sounds wicked and decent cost.

If you have the 200R4, go ahead and drop the cash on a shift kit:

Go here and most all stuff will apply to your Elco

Good Luck

Comment

did you find the secret compartment yet?
          Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

Had a '67 Elco. Dropped in a 402 big block, race-prepped manual valve-body TH400, 4.11 rear gears. Used to run low 14's thru the mufflers, on street rubber!
            THE DOC
            RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
            Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
            mistake when you make it again.
            sigpic

Comment

Makes me miss my numerous project cars...

All were DAILY drivers, rain or shine....if you're not driving them, what good are they?

Last one was a 85 IROC...408 sbc modified TPI, T5, 3.42 gears.....that thing was just pure fun...

Comment

mine will be a daily drive as soon as I get some keys cut for the doors so I can lock it....

Comment

so how is the progress
                  Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

i am on this site... http://www.elcaminocentral.com/ where you will find lots of ECs like yours [officially known as Gen5s or fifth generation]. these are getting more and more popular mostly because they are relatively inexpensive to get into, can be modded pretty easily, and are still pretty plentiful. it is next to impossible to find a 72 and older el camino that someone doesn't want an arm and a leg for...even just a shell of a car can go for big bucks if it is a documented SS.

this is my Gen4 77 Classic. thanks to the low compression smog engines and outlandish safety bumpers imposed on these and other mid-70s vehicles, they were never very popular. but engines can be built, and other problems can be fixed. i like mine.

Last edited by rtabish; 04-23-2010, 04:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by rexazz2 View Post
                      so how is the progress

Was offered $2,000 for it when I had $1,300 total in it....Sold it....currently looking for a replacement in better condition since I have more cash to play with now.

Comment

BRING IT BACK FROM DEATH!!!! !

I have been presented with an opportunity to pick up a 1978 Ford Ranchero for a reasonable price. I had an 1984 El Camino I was working on about 5-7 months ago, that I got running great, but my paint and body friend backed out of the deal we had made, and I could not afford to spend $4,000 getting the paint and body work done. So I sold the car. I was planning on buying another El Camino (with a better paint and body) and needed more on the motor dept. since I can turn a wrench). But my money got spent on a boat instead.

Any way fost forward until Saturday. I went to a party one of my wife's dear friends. She has a 1978 Ranchero that was her dad's. She doesn't want to sell this car to some one that is going to "**** it up" so to speak. So when she found out I like El Camino's and Ranchero's she is wanting to do anything to sell me this car. Even owner financing with 0% interest.

Specs:

1978 Ford Ranchero, 29K since rebuild on 1976 460 cu.in engine. Cylinders bored .30 over; Keith Black forged aluminum pistons. Crane Performance Cam; Crane Roller Rockers; Edelbrock Performer Manifold; Holley 750 CFI Carb; Melling High Volume Oil Pump; Double Roller Timing chain and gear; High performance distributor and ignition system; Standard cylinder heads; 9.5 compression ratio; Lincoln rear - higher ratio rebuilt C-6 transmission; New front disc calipers, rear drums and shoes and 2 1/2 inch exhaust system. and a/c compressor (new when I bought); Flow master mufflers, Hurst floor shifter (I had this put in); Solid aluminum wheels;New Radiator (I put in); transmission oil cooler; air shocks, trailer hitch.

Interior is in good shape, and paint and body arn't bad. Original paint still has some gloss, and no rust in El Camino/Ranchero trouble places (under the doors, and under the rear window).

So sounds like it's worth $3,000?

Comment

not much of a fan of the elongated front ends on the mid 70s fords. i know they are not much longer or heavier than the earlier versions...maybe a couple hundred pounds or so, but that nose is too much.

with the work on the big block, how it runs, and of course depending on what cars like that are going for in your area, 3 grand is pretty close to what they are worth. mid-70s cars of any kind are not yet as popular as earlier cars...probably won't be for a while. i get a lot of thumbs-up on my EC, but when i try to press it as a "classic", most people reply with a "too bad its not a 70" or something along those lines.

check the sub-frame behind the real wheels for rust in the frame, and along the bottom of the rear fenders. also under the carpet, especially on the drivers side under the gas and brake peddle.

Comment

As time keeps ticking buy, it will be a classic!

Comment

Originally posted by whitecl0ver View Post
                              As time keeps ticking buy, it will be a classic!
                              that's what i keep saying about ME

Comment

I love El Camino's!
                                My first car was a 1964 Camino and I have since had a 1969 and a 1971.
                                My dream car is a 69 big block. But I would like any one.
                                Just love um!
                                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=110816

1994 GSX750F Katana with:

Michelin Pilot Road 2's, 120/70, 150/70,
                                Race Tech 1.0kg springs with 25mm preload,
                                R6 rear shock w/14.3kg Eibach spring,
                                1" Soupys bar risers, Zero Gravity windshield,
                                RK GXW Gold Chain, My own fender eliminator,
                                3BBB turn signal mirrors,
                                Black painted seat and rear trim,
                                Nelson-Rigg CL-135, CL-150, CL-950.

Comment