X

520 Chain & Sprocket Swap Pros Vs. Cons

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 520 Chain & Sprocket Swap Pros Vs. Cons

Since my chain is pretty whipped and I'm in the market to replace my tires and will have the wheels off anyway....I'm looking to replace my chain and sprockets.

Everyone from SBA of pittsburgh that I have ridden with highly recomends the 520 Chain swap (From 530) They say that a 520 fits the sprockets better/is stronger/less weight. Is this a good idea??

What are a good brand of sprockets??? Steel or alloy???

Were can I find the best price??

Anyone ever try the colored chains??

Was told that I definately want to go with an o-ring chain for obvious reasons. I've heard of a couple different brands. Opinions on the best???

Should I change the sprocket gearing??? As far as I know I have stock sprockets. Crossroads told me that the tooth count is 14 front and 46 rear. Is there any benefit too changing this?? One of the guys I rode with who has a newer GSXR and he went to the 520 swap and he changed the gearing and he said that stretches he used to be able to run in 3rd he now has to run in 4th. He said he "lost a gear". I see that I should be able to get the stock number of teeth and still have the 520 chain. But I'm not sure if I could find matching brand and make sprockets. (I was looking on cheap motorcycle parts .com)
    Will Lemke (OOMPA)

Don't bother switching to a 520 chain. You could better save weight by laying off burgers and soda.

You can read about sprocket math here:
    motorcycleanchor.com is your first and best source for all of the information you’re looking for. From general topics to more of what you would expect to find here, motorcycleanchor.com has it all. We hope you find what you are searching for!

or check out www.gearingcommander.com
    -Steve

sigpic
    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

A.) The guy on the Gixxer changed sprocket sizes, so of course the bike is going to drive differently, you've altered the gear ratio.

B.) The only actual plus for the 520 conversion is the price and availability. 520 chains and sprockets are easier to find, as they come stock on SS bikes.

C.) The cons for a 520 conversion are quicker wear time and some say you shouldn't do it on a Katana because it's too light of a chain. I'm not one of those people, just saying...

D.) As for the material, you don't want aluminum. Al sprockets tend to wear much quicker than the steel or specialty ones.

So basically, it comes down to your choice.

-will last a bit longer
      -bigger and thicker

-much easier to find
      -lasts a bit less
      -much more options (brand, color etc...)

I ended up getting a Vortex 14/50 setup with an RK chain when I did my Kat, and I looooooved it.
      90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
      I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
      Originally posted by soulless kaos
      but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
        D.) As for the material, you don't want aluminum. Al sprockets tend to wear much quicker than the steel or specialty ones.

Aren't stock sprockets aluminum?...

Anyways... my take on it is....

I swapped to the 520 because of lower prices, better options, and no discernable difference in wear that anyone has been able to point out or that I have noticed yet.

What good does it do to have steel sprockets that last 50k miles, when the chains normally only go 25k, AND it's highly recomended to replace them all at the same time?...

I'm on 2k miles, not had to adjust my chain yet (rk x ring), and no wear showing on the sprocket yet (vortex aluminum) ... I'll report back in a few more thousand miles.

Krey
        93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Ya I have researched a little looks like most combos I found are vortex/RK combos. Steel front sprocket with Al rear and a x ring chain. Prices were around $145 bucks.
          Will Lemke (OOMPA)

Comment

I hate to say this but have you tried searching. This topics has came up be4. And to be truthfully Im tired of debating. Ppls are set to there way. If you can't find anything let me know. I will find find one for you. Where we got really deep in why's and why nots
            sigpic
            Update Jul 11 2014
            Done finally road worthy, Huge difference in looks compare to the pic in my SIG. Will update everything soon.

Comment

Originally posted by scottynoface View Post
              A.) The guy on the Gixxer changed sprocket sizes, so of course the bike is going to drive differently, you've altered the gear ratio.

B.) The only actual plus for the 520 conversion is the price and availability. 520 chains and sprockets are easier to find, as they come stock on SS bikes.

C.) The cons for a 520 conversion are quicker wear time and some say you shouldn't do it on a Katana because it's too light of a chain. I'm not one of those people, just saying...

So basically, it comes down to your choice.

-will last a bit longer
              -bigger and thicker

-much easier to find
              -lasts a bit less
              -much more options (brand, color etc...)

I ended up getting a Vortex 14/50 setup with an RK chain when I did my Kat, and I looooooved it.
              nice that would of been my choice if i would do it lol...... so did the gas mileage change a lot or just a bit ?

Comment

honestly... it all comes down to personal preference.

i swapped to a 520 last year... mainly for the availability, price, and assortment you can get with a 520... there really is no dicernable difference i can tell. a 520 is a lighter chain, but you wont notice the weight difference on a 500+ lb, 60 hp bike... and yes it does have less tensile strength then a 530, but once again, not to the point that it can't EASILY handle the monterous 60hp a kat puts out.

as far as the wear on it goes... i've put around 12k on my bike with the new set so far... and there may be just a lil more wear then with the 530... but not much. as long as you keep up with regular chain maintenance, and not rebuilding your clutch twice a year cuz your contantly droppin it trying to wheelie, you should be fine. like i said, it comes down to personal preference.. but are there any MAJOR downsides to the swap? from my experience... no

RIP joe iwanski ... ALWAYS MISSED, NEVER FORGOTTEN!!

RIP MARC...PEGS ARE ETERNALLY DOWN FOR YOU BROTHER
                "for those who have fought for it, freedom has a taste the protected will never know"

my build threads
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=103472
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=105768

Comment

Originally posted by etskatana View Post
                  nice that would of been my choice if i would do it lol...... so did the gas mileage change a lot or just a bit ?
                  Honestly I have no idea. I just filled up when it got to E. I did mostly city/urban commuting so I never got good mileage to begin with, but the extra pep from the sprockets was...let's just say I was very happy with it. And it was still freeway-able.
                  90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                  I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                  Originally posted by soulless kaos
                  but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Working...
                  X