Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

head gasket leaking on 94 kat,warped head??

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• head gasket leaking on 94 kat,warped head??

got a new gasket but its all metal,no paper,is it possable the old one leaked without the head being warped?

Since these are not water cooled engines, it is unusual for a head to warp (head warping is usually a result of steam pressure). That said, there are rare times that a Kat head can warp, if the engine was run particularly hot without sufficient oil going to the heads (such as a traffic jam for 15+ minutes after a high-speed highway run, combined with a particularly lean idle mix and partially clogged oil jets). Usually, you'd have some sort of warning when the engine gets that over-heated, such as the engine misfiring. The gaskets themselves can have issues, especially if the fuel-air mix was way too lean...

Q: What are the symptoms? Is it just an oil leak, or are you getting other mechanical symptoms?

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

re

just bought it ,it was that way when i got it , wouldnt idle either so i cleaned the carbs and it still wouldnt idle so I turned the pilot jet screws out 4 turns, idles and runs fine?just leaking oil

Comment

Re: re

Originally posted by rhino370
        just leaking oil
        Replace the gasket and the bolts holding the assembly together, retorque to spec using the pattern specified in the manual. That will probably cure it. Sometimes the bolts get over-torqued or bent in a spill (far more likely than a warped head).

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
        X