X

can anyone recommend a new rectifier?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• can anyone recommend a new rectifier?

i recently had an old battery stop charging. i replaced it with a new one, and checked voltage to be 14.2 volts. after a test drive, the battery now reads 15.5v.

so it seems my rectifier is what killed the other battery. it is a stock unit. any recommendations on a more reliable one? i hesitate to simply buy another stock one if there is a better one you've tried and like.

When the rectifier/regulator went out on my '84 Interceptor I replaced it with a generic one from Dennis Kirk. Worked great although I had to do a bit of soldering to adapt it to the bike's wiring harness. OTOH, the stock one that went bad on you lasted how long? If you can find a replacement then that might just be a pretty good option.
    Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
    HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

It depends on which kat you are having an issue with. I think there is an OEM rectifier that will have the same issues, and one made by Bosch or someone that fixes the issues (assuming you are referring to a unit older than 1988).
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

its very unlikely that you will get a stock reg rec now & even if you do remember it will be old stock & sold with no warranty & no returns, theres a few company's selling updated versions that are reliable & will come with a full warranty half an hour on google will point you in the right direction !
        Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

thanks everyone. mine is an '82, and there are genuine suzuki parts still warehoused by the manufacturer. but i think i will try a generic since they are newertech and less expensive. i'll wait until someone has a solid recommendation for a brand, because i've never heard of most of what's being sold today. on a sidenote, it is hard to believe a nest of diodes encased in a blob of epoxy costs so much. they range from $50-$200

Comment

-Steve

sigpic

Comment

That's a freakin' awesome troubleshooting chart! Not just for old GS's, either.
              Wherever you go... There you are!

17 Inch Wheel Conversion
              HID Projector Retrofit

Comment

didn't some one have a wiring fix for over charging issue?
                "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                spammer police
                USAF veteran
                If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

This is an old school kat. They are different.
                  Last edited by steves; 11-06-2012, 12:56 PM. Reason: Oops!!
                  -Steve

sigpic

Comment

that troubleshooting chart is okay, but the test C, is not conclusive. you'll notice a huge grey area that makes you wonder which arrow in the flowchart to follow.

a better way is to measure resistance. in this case you are looking at a narrower range of acceptable readings.

anyway i will probably buy the 3 phase universal rick's motorsport unit, but i'll wait a few days and see if anyone else has a suggestion.

Comment

I would try Duanage over at the GS Resources. He modifies Honda RR's to work with our old GS's his price is around 50 bucks.

I even wired it wrong, blew the battery top off, rewired it properly and it continues to function tlll this day.

I did a 5000 mile plus trip after this happened, 3 track days and it's still working great.

I've tried Elextrex, and a couple of others, and this seems to be the best so far.

Comment

thanks carter. i spent about the same price on a generic. it benchtests different than suzuki specs, so i'll have to keep you all posted how it performs on the bike. it should be okay. first long test ride will be this weekend.

Comment

Working...
                        X