No announcement yet.
X

Front end

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You can always MAKE it fit, but I highly doubt it's going to bolt right up...where's that site with the bearing cross reference...
    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
    Originally posted by soulless kaos
    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

Look for an allballs conversion bearing. Not sure of measurments on old school kats so I dont know.
      1992- project katfighter
      2005- GSXR750
      2001- TL1000R
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
      www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
      KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

what would be a good inverted fork setup to swap in then?

Comment

Originally posted by cintidude04 View Post
          Not sure of measurments on old school kats so I dont know.
          If you can get me measurements (bearing size and stem length) I can make suggestions.
          1992- project katfighter
          2005- GSXR750
          2001- TL1000R
          http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
          www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
          KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Use mid 90's GSXR 750 forks and 2002 ? CBR 929 or 954 upper and lower triples and handlebars. This will be closest setup you will get to the length of forks you have. I have this on my 82 1100 Katana now.

On my 85 pop up I used 90 GSXR 1100 front forks (non inverted) and handlebars. The handling was really good. You don't gain much over using the CBR set up and the CBR setup looks much nicer. I'll get you a pic when I find one.

You need to use a setup that has some length or you will bottom out the head fairing on your fender when your front end dives down and you need to use a setup with the handlebars on top of the triples or you will scrape the head fairing again with the clipons and the levers when you turn. This is why I suggest the CBR triples and clipons. They give you the maximum length on the forks because they have a drop to them and the clipons have a slight rise. I had to do something with the steering stem but don't remember exactly what. I think I had to press out the CBR stem and press in the GSXR stem.

This is probably what you want. The owner of this one always said the forks were too short and was working on fork extensions last I heard.

Last edited by gammarider; 05-04-2012, 04:35 PM.
            Gammas and Katanas

Comment

i love the way those forks look on that bike! i just really want them to be copper/gold off the new gsxr

Comment

I made a stem for a member here (5forty2) for his '99 gsxr forks.. the 96-99 stem is too short for the Kat neck. not sure about later years... you'd need to find the set you want and measure the stems over all length from the base of the stem to the top.. and the distance between the bearing races as well, the Kat is 233.0mm from the base to the top, thats measured without the bottom bearing.

The bearing race surface dimension on the 99 is shorter than the Kat but the over all length is about the same..

http://www.7thgeardesigns.com
                http://www.lunchtimecigar.com
                '90 Suzuki 750 Kat

"Shut up and drink your gin" - Fagin (Oliver Twist)
                "But, as is the usual scenario with a Harley it was off-line when it crashed," Schwantz added dryly.
                "You didn't hear what I meant to say" - my Son

Comment

would i be able put those stems say off a new gixxer on the cbr forks with the triples, bearings ect?

Comment

If you are going to use this Katana as a drag bike then I see no reason why you couldn't do that. If you want to be able to drive it on the street then you will have a problem with fork travel because I think (not sure) the CBR forks might be too short just like the GSXR forks. Someone here might be able to give you some measurements. I know for a fact that the biggest problem with the 84-86 katana front end is the length. It has the longest set of forks of any bike I have ever ridden.
                    Gammas and Katanas

Comment

well what forks are on that silver one a few posts up? looks like theres bigger rims and tires on it too.
                      couldnt I just set the compression rebound stiffer so it wouldnt bottom out?

Comment

Originally posted by slam816 View Post
                        well what forks are on that silver one a few posts up? looks like theres bigger rims and tires on it too.
                        couldnt I just set the compression rebound stiffer so it wouldnt bottom out?
                        Front end (I think ) is off of aTL1000. 17' front rim. You'll notice there is no front fender on the bike. The swingarm was custom made by the owner (Brian). I'll find you the build up from old school suzuki.

Here it is.......I'm actually in one of the pictures......not that anyone cares......

Last edited by gammarider; 05-06-2012, 03:57 PM.
                        Gammas and Katanas

Comment

ya iv seen that build.. i thought in one of the posts it said not to go with the TL front end but i just kinda skimmed through.. such a beautiful bike.. id like to mold in the pop up and do a custom duel projector.
                          is that ur legs in the pic with the block on the mill?
                          i cant find the register button on old skool suzuki. wtf?

that looks like a sick shop too!

i like this!!!
                          [ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rdT3KTz7ZYU"]hayasiカタナ - YouTube[/ame]
                          Last edited by slam816; 05-07-2012, 01:12 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Yes, the front end of my bike (the silver '85 that Gammarider posted) is off a TL1000R from about 2000. I'm pretty sure the stem fit fine as far as length goes. The lower head bearing worked, I just swapped my old race onto it so the wear on it matched. The upper bearing is one of the custom ones from TWF Racing: http://www.twfracing.com/PartsPages/...adbearing.html It works great. I think I had to open up the stock dust seal a bit to get it on, the steering stops need to be dealt with, gauge mounts, etc. If you have a welder and grinder, it's no biggie.

Just be sure to grind notches on the inside of the head tube, or you'll never get that inner race back out!

I measured a friend's 2008 GSXR600 forks yesterday. They're 28" from axle center to the top of the fork body(not including the adjuster parts on top). That's with whatever droop they have from the bike's weight. I need to compare that to the TL pieces. I'd love to upgrade to the newer stuff with radial brakes.

When I first installed the front end, the tire would rub the bottom of the nose fairing under hard braking or sharp bumps. I bumped the compression settings up to ~80% of max and now it's fine. Ended up doing a near panic-stop the other day and it didn't rub. Handles good too, just doesn't ride quite as well, but still not terrible.

Good luck and let me know if there's anything else you need to know.
                            Brian Rogers
                            '85 Katana 750, lots of mods
                            '82 Katana 1000, all stock
                            http://www.rupelli.com

Comment

Forks.

Originally posted by slam816 View Post
                              i love the way those forks look on that bike! i just really want them to be copper/gold off the new gsxr

The owner of the silver pop-up is now on this forum. You might want to talk to him directly about what was done to his bike?
                              Gammas and Katanas

Comment

Working...
                              X