X

TURBO katana 750 build: Blow-thru

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TURBO katana 750 build: Blow-thru

OK....This is the OFFICAL start of my turbo build.

Some of you are gonna ask why, for what, what a waste...blah blah blah. I've did the 1127 swap already (1216 actually), ive did subframe and two tail swaps, rim swaps, streetfighter....sooooo.....my little mind has been pondering this idea for a while now and since i got done building my GS Kart a few weeks ago, what a perfect time it would be to start boosting the kat.

Little history on this bike. Bought it in may or june of '09 (kat #15) Was in rough shape, got it for $200 (with a title) and it ran. Replaced the front fairings, windscreen, levers, oil pan, a side cover and master cyl. Then i tossed on a set of post98 rims, Rear lowering kit, and then painted it. jetted the carbs and got a v&h exhaust....i have maybe $600 in the bike including the cost of the bike, the paint and supplies cost the most.

The bike (The orange one)

Majority of the parts needed

I was originally gonna use a KKK KP31 turbo from a smartcar fortwo, but after getting it in the mail and seeing that it was the smallest turbo i have ever seen (even smaller than the garret gt12) i knew i couldnt use it. So i then went and bought a brand new turbo, a little on the big side but will suit my boost range goal of 5500 rpm-11,500 (stock redline is 12,500 on a 750, and well get into that later) and at a moderate 7-8 psi. (the motor is capable of handling 10psi on stock compression, but id rather be safe)

KP31 vs t3/t4 .50 trim

So today i mounted the fuel pump, which is from NOS. Its the high flow one that puts out a max of 14psi. Ill be at around 10-11 psi on full boost.
    so no worries of burning the pump out (too fast). Mounted the RRFPR (fuel reg.) Plumbed most of the boost lines. Mounted the boost controller and found a pretty trick place for the boost gauge.

The sending unit was shot anyways...

Ok Ignition you might ask, "Arent you gonna detnate you motor if your dont retard your timing" at 8psi, probably not, but i am installing a dyna2000 with 3.0 ohm coils (green). The retard will be activated via boost switch or micro switch. I have the switch set at 3psi.

Intake plenum: I havent built it yet but i made my card board template. And i must say, it fit pretty damn good for not even having the airbox out of the bike before i started guesstimating dismensions. I was gonna do a log style plenum at first, but i wanted to have twice the volume as the motor does in displacement for lag reasons.

The plenum (template) actually sits flush on the frame above the rear shock, so i have a solid place to mount it. im running a pitot on the inlet of the plenum to pressurize the carb bowls. Now my blow off valve is gonna be on the plenum or the charge pipe depending on how i route it. Im gonna cringe when i have to cut and shave my freshly painted plastics. im hoping to route the pipe over the battery and down into the front portion of the side panel and hopefully most of the cutting will be on a least expensive rear fairing (i dont have any spares...lol)

Parts im waiting for still:

-external wastegate w/ 4psi spring
    -wastegate flanges
    -5 bolt downpipe flange
    -scavenger pump for the oil return

Im going to mexico tomorrow (tues) with the wife for a week, so i doubt ill be playing with it today. So be patient with me if you follow this thread. After i build the plenum and header it should be smooth sailing

Thanks for looking
    Rob
    Last edited by ITS_NOT_A_KNIFE; 01-25-2010, 10:19 AM.

glad someone is finally gonna build a turbo katana, there have been so many new people that come on here and ask about this... cant wait to see the finished design!!!!
    sigpic
    -Cory-
    1997 Katana 600

-see my garage for mods-

'pegs are down for you anytime CP'

Comment

Can't wait for more! that's a mighty big snail you're stuffing under the fairing!

Comment

yeah the header is a headache on its own. The kat doesnt have much room. i still have my 1216 sitting in a kat 600 engine cradle so ive been mocking everything up on there. im gonna have to cut out the cross brace on the front portion of the cradle and moving it 7" down so i can get the turbo as close as the motor as possible. im trying to have it sit as high as possible without having to move the oil cooler. so depending on how much of a b!tch its gonna be to make the turbo clear the front rim, im either gonna be stuck doing a log manifold or hopefully a nice ramhorn

Comment

For 600cc's, thats an AWFUL lot of hairdryer man. But best of luck, I have a t25 sitting in my garage and I can't say I havent thought about it!

Comment

double post. oops.
            Last edited by LAsunbird86; 01-25-2010, 08:41 AM.

Comment

its a 750

Comment

Awesome. No bashing here, I want to see it done!
                2000 Katana 600
                2011 Triumph Sprint GT

Comment

Looks like a fun project, will be watching. Can't wait to see how it does on a dyno when it's finished. I wanna go on record with the first prediction of 148 rwhp @ 8psi boost.
                  John,
                  '05 GSXR750, '86 FZX700 Fazer, wifes bike '02 R6
                  sigpic

Comment

thats a very possible number

Comment

Originally posted by overboost07 View Post
                      glad someone is finally gonna build a turbo katana, there have been so many new people that come on here and ask about this... cant wait to see the finished design!!!!

someone has done a turbo katana but switched to efi http://www.genericse.com/projects_gsx600.php. i definitely want to see this bike built because its going be carb'd still.
                      Chrome Project Part 1
                      http://www.freewebs.com/mreedohio/

Chrome Project Part 2

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Chrome Project Part 3
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192&page=30

Chrome Project Finished
                      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=107586

Comment

Just wondering why your using a Rising Rate Fuel Regulator if the bike isusing carbs. Do you plan on using injectors to supply the additional fuel needed?

Im having a hard time with that turbo man. that is HUGE for the displacement, I would think its going to spool up realy slow. I would have gone with a smaller one

awesome project though, cant wait to see it done
                        98 GSX750F
                        95 Honda VT600 vlx
                        08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

i dont want low end power....remember a bike has more compression and a cruising range around where a car redlines, having full spool at 4000 rpm would be point less. All that power on one wheel while the other one salutes the sky. The compressor is just big. the turbine is nowhere near that size .Ive see 3 guys on Oldskoolsuzuki.info running t3's on 750's.

The raising rate is for the 14psi fuel pump im running. Set at 3psi and raising 1psi per 1 pound of boost (1:1) At 7psi ill have 10psi of fuel running to the carbs. The bowl pressure has to be higher than the static pressure going through the vein of the carb, otherwise you will see no fuel if both have the same pressure the main jet would see 0-vac/psi. i will eventually buy a malpassi fpr and make a return style fuel system

Comment

Now this will be a sweet build to watch! Have a nice vacation while you leave us hanging lol

Comment

Ah I see

sounds like a great build
                              98 GSX750F
                              95 Honda VT600 vlx
                              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                              X