Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Winter's coming, getting bikes all bedded down.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Winter's coming, getting bikes all bedded down.

The Kat is in the picture, so I thought it was appropriate to post. I hate this time of year in NE Indiana...

GS1000SZ, GS1100EZ, GS1000ST (Wes Cooley)

I’m good 365 here.....
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
      I’m good 365 here.....
      I'm sort of looking for a job somewhere warmer.... it's important to get in as much riding time as possible.

Comment

It’s actually the opposite here. 120-130* summers suck for riding. 3rd deg burns from the tank.....lol
        "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
        spammer police
        USAF veteran
        If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Originally posted by 92xjunker View Post
          It’s actually the opposite here. 120-130* summers suck for riding. 3rd deg burns from the tank.....lol
          Yeah, need somewhere in between. Maybe Tennessee..

Comment

I think I have it good here. I live in Sparks,Nv, next to Reno . Yes, we sometimes get a little snow, but usually can ride in winter . I’ve ridden when it’s been as cold as around 8 but usually, in deep part of winter, it’ll be above feeezing and streets are fine.
            The Sierra Nevada mountains are only about 20 min away, Lake Tahoe is 40 min away, great roads up there.
            Like redwoods? I can be there in under 6 hours, old 101 is an incredible bike ride.
            Like giant sequoias? Trees as big around as a small house? They are about two hours away.
            The famous CA highway one is about six hours away.
            I’m 14 hours away from Seattle and everything the pac northwest has, 15 hours from Denver and the Rockies.

Comment

No problem riding all year round here on my Kat. Just got to keep a sharp eye out for elephants, rhinos, lions and leopards!! lol
              MelWain

Comment

Some of the other reasons are why I get discouraged about moving to warmer climes.
                Can't stand Nashville music, a negative for the southern midwest, although the mountain roads are fantastic.
                I like the rock scene in Austin TX, but 3 months of 90ºs with humidity is a killer.
                Arizona looks great, and is probably my 1st choice, but high altitude reduces HP. The ancient pueblos were well connected with the huge Mexican cities and traded goods with them.
                Mostly the main factors are good roads for riding, nearby road race tracks, and educated stoners.
                Here in MI, I have 3 road race tracks within 3 hours hauling, plus 3 more within one day's hauling.
                No, I never completely put my bikes in storage mode. There's always a chance of a dry winter day for riding.
                That's when you see the very few serious riders.
                Last edited by buffalobill; 11-06-2018, 08:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by buffalobill View Post
                  Some of the other reasons are why I get discouraged about moving to warmer climes.
                  Can't stand Nashville music, a negative for the southern midwest, although the mountain roads are fantastic.
                  I like the rock scene in Austin TX, but 3 months of 90ºs with humidity is a killer.
                  Arizona looks great, and is probably my 1st choice, but high altitude reduces HP. The ancient pueblos were well connected with the huge Mexican cities and traded goods with them.
                  Mostly the main factors are good roads for riding, nearby road race tracks, and educated stoners.
                  Here in MI, I have 3 road race tracks within 3 hours hauling, plus 3 more within one day's hauling.
                  No, I never completely put my bikes in storage mode. There's always a chance of a dry winter day for riding.
                  That's when you see the very few serious riders.
                  I always keep two bikes "at the ready" during winter months. The last couple of years we were riding in December and January, I think. Maybe February. None of my bikes take long to de-winterize, either.

As far as warmer climates, my wife is voting for Arizona, but she also loves Colorado. Not sure about Colorado for year-round riding, although they have sun most of the year. Indiana is my home, but maybe someday.

Comment

Arizona, with the exception of Flagstaff, totally sucks. They can get rain that’s too heavy to ride in , dust storms and above all, the heat. The last time I ride there , I was on my c14. My iPhone died, had the “too hot” icon. I write directions on my arm but the sweat smeared them. I had to stop every hour drink water ( had an ice chest in trunk) and bike thermometer said it was 114. But, get into stop and go traffic in Phoenix and that temp ( from all the cars) goes up.
                    I was in a Mexican restaurant that lost power for two hours because of this little spot of rain. Pic was taken outside city by news copter:

The heat will kill your katana too. The service manager at the local dealer was a mechanic for a dealer in Las Vegas back in the 80’s and said the sacs bikes couldn’t take the heat, saw a lot of bikes with worn rings from over heating . The combination of 114+ heat and stop and go driving in traffic takes its toll on these bikes , said that Harley motorbikes used by the pd need rings at 40k miles.

One more reason to live where I do- along with being close to the most beautiful rides in the country, I’m also in the middle of the best beer makers in the country ( CA, Or, WA and Co). I even took a bike ride to gabf, the biggest microbrew fest in the world .
                    Last edited by DClark; 11-06-2018, 10:25 AM.

Comment

Nice pic Joe ..... I'll be right over!!!!
                      Here in Southern Cal it's year round. My brother lives in Phoenix and it does get fairly HOT there.......
                      79 Honda Red CBX, 79 Honda Silver CBX, 82 Suzuki 1000 Katana, 76 Kawasaki KZ900, 84 VF1000F, 07 Honda CBR1000RR Repsol, 95 CB1000 Big One, 1987 Hondaxl600R, 1978 Honda XL250S, 2006 Yamaha TW200

Comment

Originally posted by sixdog View Post
                        Nice pic Joe ..... I'll be right over!!!!
                        Here in Southern Cal it's year round. My brother lives in Phoenix and it does get fairly HOT there.......
                        Stop by anytime... I have plenty to ride!

Not sure Southern California is my place, it's beautiful and I like to visit, but...

There was a job in Hawaii, but it didn't pay enough to even apply.

Something will come up, it always does.

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                        Arizona, with the exception of Flagstaff, totally sucks. They can get rain that’s too heavy to ride in , dust storms and above all, the heat. The last time I ride there , I was on my c14. My iPhone died, had the “too hot” icon. I write directions on my arm but the sweat smeared them. I had to stop every hour drink water ( had an ice chest in trunk) and bike thermometer said it was 114. But, get into stop and go traffic in Phoenix and that temp ( from all the cars) goes up.
                        I was in a Mexican restaurant that lost power for two hours because of this little spot of rain. Pic was taken outside city by news copter:

The heat will kill your katana too. The service manager at the local dealer was a mechanic for a dealer in Las Vegas back in the 80’s and said the sacs bikes couldn’t take the heat, saw a lot of bikes with worn rings from over heating . The combination of 114+ heat and stop and go driving in traffic takes its toll on these bikes , said that Harley motorbikes used by the pd need rings at 40k miles.

One more reason to live where I do- along with being close to the most beautiful rides in the country, I’m also in the middle of the best beer makers in the country ( CA, Or, WA and Co). I even took a bike ride to gabf, the biggest microbrew fest in the world .
                        I'm not voting for Arizona, my wife is..lol! Too hot for me, even if it is a "dry heat"....
                        Last edited by Suzuki_dog; 11-06-2018, 10:39 AM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Another view.. Chester, our dog was helping.

Comment

Flagstaff is nice, its the only part of AZ that has never seen triple digit heat EVER!. But, that is it.
                            Those bikes in the garage are gorgeous. I especially drool over the blue GS1100E. I dreamed of that bike in that color when I was young, just a big, beautiful bike. I had a GS550E and one thing I liked was how comfy that big seat was, plus all of the GS bikes had gear indicators, cool.
                            You should start a different thread describing the other bikes. Like, is that a Honda CB1100 lurking back there?

Comment

Originally posted by DClark View Post
                              Flagstaff is nice, its the only part of AZ that has never seen triple digit heat EVER!. But, that is it.
                              Those bikes in the garage are gorgeous. I especially drool over the blue GS1100E. I dreamed of that bike in that color when I was young, just a big, beautiful bike. I had a GS550E and one thing I liked was how comfy that big seat was, plus all of the GS bikes had gear indicators, cool.
                              You should start a different thread describing the other bikes. Like, is that a Honda CB1100 lurking back there?
                              Flagstaff, interesting.

The blue GS1100E is a great bike, comfy, quick and nimble. I love it, wife hates it... I think it's a color thing, close up the tank is faded.

I had a couple of threads with the different bikes, lost in the latest forum woes. I'll do something later in the winter, when I'm snowed in.

That's an '81 CB900F. Nice bike, had the tins restored, hate the carburetors, sending them out to have them rebuilt, this winter.

Comment

Working...
                              X