X

oil warning light always on : electrical short

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• oil warning light always on : electrical short

suddenly while riding my '82 1000cc, the oil pressure indicator light came on. i checked the oil and it is at fill line. so i tried unhooking the connector on the pressure sender, and the light stays on. i figure there is a short circuit somewhere. anyone else had this problem, and if so then where was the short?

Best way to find shorts is to move/jiggle sections of the harness until the light goes off... if you have a short is will be the easiest way to finding the general area.... once you have an area of the harness, open it and visially check....
    "Life is what happens when you make plans..."

http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=119546

Comment

okay thanks. i tried a little of that last night. i just hope i don't need to take anything apart. the wire ducks through and under a few tight places.

Comment

Best way to find shorts is to move/jiggle sections of the harness until the light goes off... if you have a short is will be the easiest way to finding the general area.... once you have an area of the harness, open it and visially check....

Comment

The oil light works on a short by putting the signal to earth through the oil pressure switch so if the light stays on with the wire disconnected you are right in saying there is a short in the harness

Test by removing the ground wire to the pressure switch both ends & putting in a temporary wire, the light should go out when bike is started its then up to you if you want to dig into the harness or leave it at that
          Renthals & twin spots do not make a streetfighter !

Comment

It may not be a short at all. It may be that the oil is not circulating correctly. There is a difference between oil level and oil pressure. You might want to consider pulling the oil pan and checking the pick up screen.

Comment

The oil light issue could be the "O-ring" in the sump has moved from its position on the sump post. This problem normally occurs after the sump has been off and the "O-ring" has not been positioned correctly when installing the sump. One other reason is the old compressed "O-ring" has moved from its normal position, light will come on because its a pressure indicator not an oil level indicator. Hope this is of help, cheers.
              82 GSX1100SXZ Wire Wheel Katana
              Badjezz, we don need noh stinken badjezz!

Comment

Have you fixed the problem? Your oil light switch connects to a green wire in the harness under a small rubber boot. If the light stays on after you unclip it from the switch, the green wire is grounding somewhere. I believe the boot is under your by the reg/rec panel or around your airbox.
                It has been a long time since I have looked at a stock configured bike.

YOu could also check where the wire routes under the starter cover, if it is pinched there that could be your grounding point.
                Kat Parts Clearance Selling Everything

Comment

thanks for the help everyone. i traced it to a pinched wire inside the gauge cluster. can't seem to find the exact place without taking it all apart. for now, i am able to jiggle the pod and get the oil light to flicker off momentarily (usually). was hoping it was at the wire connector so i cleaned those contacts, but that didn't solve it.

Comment

Working...
                  X