X

Getting a new rear tire and...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Getting a new rear tire and...

I can only afford the rear right now..the KR rally, and the upcoming inspection due on my bar car wont allow me to buy both the front and the back. The rear tire is pretty much shot, just ask Jim or Keith, they saw it at the rally when we were loading up the bikes to go home.

Anyhow, the front tire is still good to go, minus the chicken strips of course , good wear left on it, no problems there..but Im not real confident on riding w/ a new rear tire and the current front which is a stock macadam. Its not a bad tire, and it did great down at the rally and the whole time Ive had it on there. Just 2 different feeling tires doesnt really float my boat too much but not much I can do about it I suppose. Probably gonna go w/ either a Pilot or Metzler on the rear, and then when I can afford a front, I'll get a match for it.

Thoughts ?

Well your stuck. Either throw another Mac on the back or put a new brand on the rear. I'd go new brand . If you go Mac your stuck with them for a while since you'll be in the same boat when the front wears out and you only need one tire.

I never had a problem with the Macs, but I never pushed them as hard as I have the Z6s. That said I rode my way past what I should have and they preformed well enough.

On a side note, any chance of a cheap Mac off ebay to get you by until you get a complete set of Metzelers or pilots? Anyone here have one kicking around? (All I have is a set of Z6s with 10K on them).

Upgrade the rear, ride them mixed for a bit until you can afford the new front to match the rear. Just remember it's a mixed set and rider accordingly until you get the feel of them.
    Kyle

Comment

My thought is you do what you have to to keep riding safely.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Matt save up the money and get both tires. It is better to get them both at the same time. This way you know there is not a cupping issue with the front down the road. I would check out places like www.ronayers.com www.kneedraggers.com just to name a few. I have bought tires from both places and the prices were the best I could find anywhere on the net. I know I got my M1's from ronayers for $213 shipped to the house. I know kneedraggers.c was having a sale on tires a few weeks ago.

Here are the M6's

Pilot Road

The Diablos
        www.mopowersports.com

Comment

If I wait and save up the money, I wont be riding for quite awhile, thats the only problem. Im not trusting riding very far on my rear as it is now. There's no cords showing or anything, but u can see the wear on it.

The macs have treated me well so far, in terms of riding confidently, even at the gap, I had no worries riding the dragon or any of the other roads. but by the end of the week, you could see the rear tire was just plain worn out. I was figuring I could make it to the end of this season w/ the macs on there, but the gap killed that thought process

I dont really wanna show on another mac on the back. I'd rather put on a name brand and hopefully by my birthday be able to get the front as well, if not sooner.

Thanks for the info all.

Comment

From my own experience I'd get rid of the front Mac. It was a major contributor to a lowside I had a few years ago on a 90 degree corner. It let go on me and I came down hard before I knew what was going on.
            Suzuki Katana: The best underated motersicle in da woild

Comment

How many miles on the Mac? are you hitting the wear bars on the back yet? or are you already pasted them?
              Kyle

Comment

Both macs were brand new last summer, they only have about 5000 miles on them. Front looks nearly brand new still, very little wear showing at all.

I know the rear tire takes more abuse, but it sure did wear out awful quick. Havent noticed any cords or bars showing at all on the back, but it looks dangerously worn, and w/ the opinions of several KR rally members after seeing when loading up the bikes to leave the Inn, thats enough assurance for me that its time for a new one.

Comment

Do you know what the bars even look like ( don't mean to call you stupid , but some people don't ... ) ? THAT'S when you're supposed to replace them , when the tread get's to the bars . These guys have some pretty cheap tires ( http://www.americanmototire.com ) . I bought some Stradas for less than $200 delivered .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

yeah I know they look like from previous experience w/ other bikes, and I know ur not calling me stupid..cuz ur such a nice guy

I was looking at that site last nite actually

Comment

Another issue with a different front matt is how the front clears water and stuff for the back. get the matching tires, even if you have to wait.

I have been riding on crappy tires for a while, and I am still doing good. Just take it easy for a bit. You can get a set of Diablo Strada's shipped to you from American Moto Tire for just a tad under $200.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                        You can get a set of Diablo Strada's shipped to you from American Moto Tire for just a tad under $200.
                        Do you even READ stuff anymore before you post
                        Originally posted by md86
                        Do you know what the bars even look like ( don't mean to call you stupid , but some people don't ... ) ? THAT'S when you're supposed to replace them , when the tread get's to the bars . These guys have some pretty cheap tires ( http://www.americanmototire.com ) . I bought some Stradas for less than $200 delivered .
                        So , are you PAST the wear bars then , or you don't see them ? What up wit dat ?
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by SweetLou
                          You can get a set of Diablo Strada's shipped to you from American Moto Tire for just a tad under $200.
                          Do you even READ stuff anymore before you post
                          So , are you PAST the wear bars then , or you don't see them ? What up wit dat ?
                          I read it, but my retnetion is shiate. So yes, I do, and what was the question?
                          Kan-O-Gixxer!
                          -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                          -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                          -Ohlins Susupension
                          -Various Other Mods

Comment

[img]So , are you PAST the wear bars then , or you don't see them ? What up wit dat ?[/img]

I didnt see them before and I dont see them now, so I'd have to say that Im not quite there yet... but incidentally I did take a pic of my rear tire into the dealer today, and he was like yeah, its pretty much shot..he figured I had probably a few hundred more miles, if I rode safe..although Im not sure how he came up w/ that number. This dealer is the one I go to foreverything, and they always treat me well there, and Ive taken my bikes there for a long time and always the work was done right for the right price they quoted.

Comment

Working...
                            X