No announcement yet.
X

wont start in cold

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Full choke, spray starting fluid a quick shot into filter and hold a rag over it while cranking. Might need a 3rd hand if you still have your clutch safety switch.
    Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

26 degrees here yesterday was dying to take her out for a run around the neighborhood opened the garage door (garage not insulated) rolled her out to the driveway full choke hit the button for maybe 2 seconds and she was alive let her warm for a min and away we went.
      1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

When I first got mine I would tap the throttle then hit the start button...........gues what. Flood. Just half choke----NO Throttle ( in neutral) hit the start. Works every time.
        sigpic

Comment

Wish I had found this site before I took my bike into the shop. It would not start. Finally got it to run and jumped on for about 45 minutes. The next morning nothing. During the ride the night before, it was jumpy in the beginning, but smoothed out fine so I figured I got all the bad gas out and was ok. Next morning.. nada. Got tired of messing with it and was time for a maintenance anyway so I told the shop to look at it. Well they broke the starter switch, and then tried to say it would cost 500 for them to clean the carbs out. Needless to say that I will not pay the 500 and run newer gas thru it again, maybe some sea foam and give it another shot. With the amount of information on this site, I can be more confident in finding the answers I need and figure it out and then start the modding. Thats one thing I want to see what I can do to an 06 Katana 600... make it my own.

Comment

hi

I recommend the half choke and no throttle.

I have had the bike for 2 years and it took me 15 months to work out how to start the bike on cold mornings (ok cold for me might not be cold for you but everyhtings relative). anyway i ditched the throttle and she starts first time every time. once she starts running a bit of throttle and everythings sweet. I also wish i had found this site earlier, i must have done at least 25 jump starts since i bought the bike and i aint as young or trim as i used to be

Comment

I tried the 1/2 choke, no throttle. Started up no problem. Thanks for the help
              "Coffee should be black as hell, strong as death and as sweet as love."

Comment

Its back from the shop. New gas, Sea Foam and a new plug and its fine for now. Best of all no charge. Will try the new tricks the next time I try to crank it in 30 degree weather.

Comment

I just noticed you guys from down south calling cold around 30 F, just have to laugh.
                  Must read for carb tuners......http://www.factorypro.com/tech/tech_...m_engines.html

Comment

I know 30 is not all that cold. Grew up south of Chicago and been threw more than enough blizzards there and in Wyoming. But ya, most of the southerners think 45 or so is cold.

riding in 30 degrees without the right gear is cold.

Comment

Hey, you know what it took? 36F weather.. har har! Even this weekend it hit 40 and I went out again for a ride. I think I'll just chock it up to my bike doesn't like 32F and under weather..

Comment

Originally posted by kat_pilot750 View Post
                        I tried the 1/2 choke, no throttle. Started up no problem. Thanks for the help
                        Your welcome ! I see someone else does the same thing too. Let her warm up for 5 minutes or so then crack the throttle a few times to clear her throats. I ALWAYS keep the RPM,s down when riding through town for 15 minutes so she has her top and bottom half warmed up. . . . then find some open road and..........................SEE YA...................!
                        Last edited by Kat96; 02-16-2010, 05:45 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

I always have the same problem. How old is your battery? Also it never hurts to own a trikle charger.

Comment

Working...
                          X