Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

How many miles before your first crash on the street?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Unforunatly they don't make them for the pre kats. Some have made their own though.
    "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
    spammer police
    USAF veteran
    If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

Not me or first crash but...... a friend and I went to a BMW dealer to test ride some bikes. I rode a F800gs and my friend rode a F650gs. Finished the route and swapped bikes. As we stopped to look for traffic to leave the parking lot he fell over on the 800 (too short and could not get his foot planted) brand new test ride bike kn the ground and the dealer claimed he did over $2700 in damage and he never even made it iut of the parking lot with it. It was a bummer because he was concerned he was too short to ride the bike but decided last minute to ride it. You know what they say, your first feeling is usually the correct one.

Comment

Learned my lesson when I was young. First bike and was taking it to get serviced for the start of the summer and was looking at a cute girl in the car next to me and ran into my friend in front of me and dropped my bike.
        She laughed, lol Lesson learned "always pay attention".

Comment

Not sure how many miles, but had my gs 500 about 3 months. Ex wife wanted to go for a ride so I took her down to the mall. Stayed off the highway. Going about 40 down the road in front of the mall when a van decided to pull out in front of me. She slammed on her breaks and stopped in my lane... we ended up laying the bike down. She went into the grass median somehow and I ended up under the bike. I was able to hobble away with some bad road rash. Learned alot from it.

Comment

What constitutes a "crash"?

I rode about 1 year everyday on the dirt as a kid, so I think that helped when I got a street bike.

~3 months into my second bike (600 ninja) I dropped it on wet pavement showing off by spinning out the rear tire from a light. That was such a dumb@ss thing to do.

Then, on my 3rd street bike, ~5,000 miles on the street, big accident, in hospital for 2 weeks. I think I let my guard down for 10 seconds...that was way too much.

As an older adult, with 2 Katana's....no street crashes with about 20-30K miles.

And yes...there ARE older riders out there with NO accidents. I am amazed, but just goes to show you SAFETY FIRST!
            Rode: 198X Italian moped,1978 Honda CB750, 1988 Kow 600 Ninja,1985 CB250, 1998 600 Kat, 2001 Chineese 250 POS
            Ride: 2002 750F Kat
            "I like my beats fast and my BASS DOWN LOW"

Comment

my first time taking the bike down was right around 500 miles. didn't notice the tension bolt to tighten the bike chain was loose on the right side, went into a turn and the tire gave that little wiggle. also my first bike.

Comment

Last July after around 2000 miles or so...
                Case of target fixation, also known as rider error. Wasn't too proud of myself, got knocked out and still have lapses in memory but I still ride.
                Bikes don't leak oil, they mark their territory.
                ~Author Unknown

Comment

I dunno how many mile I'd ridden already but

So it was one of the 1st kinda warm days in March-latitude equal to Chicago.
                  It was 3:00 afternoon so I decided: Why not take my 1st short ride of the spring?
                  Came up to the stop sign just a half block from my house on my newly painted '93 GSX750F with new Bridgestone tires.
                  Pulled out to the left and nailed the throttle©Ãummer?br> The rear tire rolled over a tar snake, spun up, then grabbed?br> The back half of the bike jumped left and threw me down on the pavement?br> I had full gear on but my shoulder was pushed in and my hip was hyper-extented.
                  Smashed collar bone (3 pieces) and a very sore groin joint.
                  Had to sell the 750 after repairing the busted parts, just to help pay for the medical expenses. 2 Ibuprofen tabs, Xrays, a shoulder harness and arm sling: WTF $3500????

<font size="2">Anyway, that's 5 years ago, and I got new problems today?/font>
                  Last edited by buffalobill; 12-05-2015, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Lil over 2000 miles and leaned too far in hairpin curve peg and stasnd dug into pavement and down my butt went

Comment

havent crashed on the road yet, but almost every single near-crash experience was some old person not paying attention. i did have one idiot moment when i got off my bike, put the kickstand down and started walking away then heard a big ol crunch. turn around, turns out i didnt put it out the whole way. last time i ever let that happen haha

Comment

I am not sure of the mileage, but a couple years into riding on the street I started pushing my '06 DR650SE harder both on and off road. I made the mistake of keeping my speed up going into an intersection to turn left based on what I THOUGHT the oncoming driver would do. As it turned out I misjudged so ended up turning wide and late since he went slow, and hit some loose sand on the edge of the pavement. The bike basically folded on me and my embarrassed butt slid off the road at ~20-25mph.

A few months later I found out by experimentation that I could not make it out of my neighborhood the usual way after a snowfall because a left turn via roundabout is very unpleasant on packed snow even at about 10mph.

Lessons learned: 1) Don't ride like an a-hole 2) The edge of the road is as bad as people say 3) Snow with icy patches is not suitable for riding on, even with knobbies (who'd have guessed, right?) and 4) Good gear is indeed worth it: dirt at lower speeds than that has hurt me much worse due to wearing only a helmet in terms of proper gear (early mistakes)

Comment

Yesterday for me. Got oil on the road when braking and slide at 30kmh. Good gear sure worth it.
                          2 months ago fall of from a moped at the same speed but with shorts, tshirt and open face helmet and got a lot of bruises and a month off pain pills and creams.
                          Yeasterday i got a beer

Comment

So far ive kept the tires on the ground and haven't fallen down. I only have a year of riding under my belt and about 2000 miles or so

Comment

Originally posted by deadalus View Post
                              Yesterday for me. Got oil on the road when braking and slide at 30kmh. Good gear sure worth it.
                              2 months ago fall of from a moped at the same speed but with shorts, tshirt and open face helmet and got a lot of bruises and a month off pain pills and creams.
                              Yeasterday i got a beer
                              Edit got 10 months with a 750 katana and around 5.000 miles the moped doesnt count because i use it for years but just small trips.

Comment

My third ride on pile of freaking leaves. It's been a "project bike" ever since. I'm still trying to get the dumb thing working.
                                --
                                Beginner

Comment

Working...
                                X