Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

First long ride on the beast...(sorry, kinda long)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First long ride on the beast...(sorry, kinda long)

This past Sunday, I went with group on my first long (for me) distance ride (204 miles round trip). We went from Lockhart to the greater Burton metropolitan area, through Brenham, and a bunch of other small Texas communities (like Smithville and Rosanky) before arriving back home. The bike brand breakdown was 4 Goldwings of various vintage, 3 Harleys, 1 Honda Shadow 750, a Yamaha VStar 650, and me on the '05 RedKat 600. I had an absolute blast! It was good going with a bunch of cruisers/touring bikes the first time out, as the pace was relaxed. We did hit some good twisties on the way to Burton and I made a few observations.

- Those Goldwings can CORNER for their size and weight. They were carrying much more entry speed into the corners than I was, but I had less trouble keeping a steady speed and catching up on the exits.

- The Kat, for its value, made a great touring mount. It was nice and stable, and didn't move as much as the others, despite the funky winds we encountered.

- Cagers, for lack of a better term, suck. There were a number of cars that kept cutting us off and breaking up our staggered formation. A couple of times, they would break into the group to make a turn and slam on the brakes w/o turnsignals. What fun.

- I caught air once, outside of Bastrop. Apparently, someone with the highway department put about 10 times the amount of asphalt required to repair a pothole, and it made a very inconvenient ramp for the Kat. Thank God I grew up riding dirtbikes. Kept the front end steady, got my butt up off the seat and landed straight.

- I gotta get some gel grips. There was a small vibration in the bars that ended up making the last 40 miles painful on my hands and wrists. I was using my back and abs for torso support (thanks for that info md86), but they still went numb. Could be too tight of a grip. I'll work on that.

- A little lean on the bike goes a long way. Found myself taking too tight a line in some of the sweepers, and had to adjust. Surprised at how little I touched the brakes going into the corners. Engine braking and gear selection took care of that, I guess.

- Got to ride on gravel, new roads, old roads and every surface in between. Great learning experience.

- I gotta buy a digital camera. We went to the remains of the original Baylor University building and saw some housing from that era (1830s), and I didn't take a single damn pic. D'OH !

All in all, it was a fun time. We're going again next month, and I can't wait. All of the comments about the Kat were positive from the group I went with, even from the die hard Harley guys. The guy I rode in the back with (hard core Harley guy) had good things to say. I caught a little harassment from the cashier at the last fuel stop we made who said, "I only ride Harleys." I said, "gee, that's great," and went about my business. I guess some will never learn...
    2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

To help with that bar vibration, you can get some lead shot and fill your bars with them. Helps quite a bit.

And when traveling, a camera is a must!
    Kan-O-Gixxer!
    -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
    -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
    -Ohlins Susupension
    -Various Other Mods

Comment

Lou, does it make a lot of noise, or any noise, when you fill the bars full of lead bb's? May need to look into this.....
      2002 R1
      Yoshi TRS exhaust, Undertail, Ohlins Steering Stabilizer, Dark Windshield, Frame Sliders.

Comment

I've heard of people mixing in some silicone with them to keep them from moving around and making any noise. I'd try it without it first though...
        Keep the rubber side down!

Comment

If you can pack it good enough, you shouldnt have too much movement of they stuff sliding around inside the bars I wouldnt think.

Comment

Sounds like a great ride with lots of fun.
            Glad to hear you had a good time.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Comment

Sounds like a blast!
              On long trips I like to sit far forward and lean into the tank. Takes a lot of pressure off the back and wrists. Also, when you get more comfortable with the Kat you can experiment with different ways of gripping the bars to relieve fatigue. On long straights I use a two-finger (thumb & index, middle) grip, or cupped palm. Covering the brake forces the hand to relax, too.
              sigpic

Comment

Yup, no doubt about it, the trip was really fun. I think with the combination of some gel grips, the lead shot idea and peeling my fingers off the bars (from the death grip I had on them) might do the trick...

tdrcomm- All of the above were great ideas, but if I had your 'Busa, I'd have completed the trip in about an hour and fifteen minutes (factoring stops and lunch), and the vibration wouldn't have been a problem. Could I borrow yours for the next ride (for purely medicinal purposes, of course)? That is a beautiful bike...
                2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

Eh , my right thumb still goes numb on me after a while . I think it has something to do with my glove more than anything else though . Pretty soon 204 miles will just be another "play-day" on the bike ! If I don't do near 200 miles on a sunday , I feel like I've let the bike down .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Hell, md86, if it wasn't for that week of winter we get here (it happens in February, the temp drops all the way down to the FORTIES ), the Kat would be my daily transportation... I'm hoping this is just the start of the long trips I'll be taking.
                    2005 Red Katana 600!

How y'all mom n' 'em?

Comment

I have noticed ZERO rattiling or any type of noise from the leadshot, but it is packed pretty tight in there. Leaned the bike over, filled it, tapped the bar, put more in, and then put some in the cap as well before putting the cap back on.
                      Kan-O-Gixxer!
                      -89 Gixxer 1100 Engine
                      -Stage 3 Jet Kit / KNN Pod Filters
                      -Ohlins Susupension
                      -Various Other Mods

Comment

Also some simple stretching out and moving your fingers around goes a long way to riding comfortable. Its easy for your left hand of course, but your throttle hand, yeah, just stretch out your fingers and move them around now and then for a second, u'll notice a big difference. Throttle rockers and the like work nice too.

Comment

- I gotta get some gel grips. There was a small vibration in the bars that ended up making the last 40 miles painful on my hands and wrists. I was using my back and abs for torso support (thanks for that info md86), but they still went numb. Could be too tight of a grip. I'll work on that.
                          My guess, you have too tight a grip. I've done three +600 mile days on the Kat and have never had pain in my hands or wrists. And I have stock grips with nothing in the bars. Just remember the "grips" are for control inputs, not holding on for dear life.

Comment

Working...
                          X