KOTM May 2007 Court93Kat

Welcome to the KatRiders.com forums.

You are currently viewing our boards as a guest which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free so please, join our community today!

If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact contact us.

Go Back   KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up

Gearing Up If your going to ride you need good gear!
Tell us what you've got and find out what others are wearing.

Old 08-07-2017, 10:53 AM   #1
Mrontime
Katrider

Default First peice of gear ever....

So yeah i guess ive been a squid my whole life. Riding cruisers and dirtbikes i always just had a decent pair of shades and a devil may care attitude. But im a little older now and ive decided to give the gear a chance. Im currently looking at helmets, i just got a joe rocket suzuki jacket for a steal, not the leather one though. In Texas its insanely hot when you can ride and wet or miserable the rest of the time so i wanted as breathable as possible. I had a front tire nearly slip out on me on a seca2 back in the day and have always been leery of sportbikes ever since. Any suggestions on where to go try on helmets? im worried about dropping 400 bucks on something i havent tried on and would like to get a decent fitment before i order what i want, or buy what i try either way. Thanks, any input is valued.
Old 08-07-2017, 12:08 PM   #2
rperry03
Poser

I've always liked newenough.com their name has changed but will be forwarded to new site address, and best part for you is that they are located in Texas (Shallowater)

http://www.motorcyclegear.com

Last edited by rperry03; 08-07-2017 at 12:10 PM.. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
rperry03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 10:56 PM   #3
Mrontime
Katrider

Wow, there are some really good deals on there. I just got a chance to check it out and it made me wish i had some cash to spend right now. Thanks alot!
Mrontime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:22 PM   #4
rperry03
Poser

Road trip!
rperry03 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:38 PM   #5
Mrontime
Katrider

Dang, 6 1/2 hours is a road trip lol. I may go try on a few helmets at academy and get a decent idea and then order online lol. If im gonna ride 6 1/2 hours the destination wont be a store lol. That being said.... thats a great price for a shoei helmet.....

Last edited by Mrontime; 08-08-2017 at 11:41 PM..
Old 08-08-2017, 11:40 PM   #6
92xjunker
Neo-maxoid-zoomed-bweebie
Supporting Member

eBay ID: guysmustang

I would head to a cycle shop and try on a couple. Not all helmets and heads match. Trying on a couple will give you and idea of what actually fits your head properly. Then hit the internet for deals. Don't by a used helmet, you don't know the history of it. A good drop off a high shelf could deem the helmet nearly useless.
If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group
92xjunker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2017, 11:46 PM   #7
Mrontime
Katrider

Yeah, used wont work for me. I want a good deal but i also dont want cheap or crapped out. Im thinking 350.00 to 400.00 is what im gonna budget for a helmet..... used... i imagine that wet cat smell when you sneeze like 5 times in there.... but someone else's....
Old 08-09-2017, 09:42 AM   #8
ZukiFred
Put a stick in it.
Supporting Member

October 05 KOTM

I spent less than $200 on my lids and have been happy, I have crash tested a Scorpion 500 and it worked perfectly.
ZukiFred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2017, 10:39 AM   #9
Mrontime
Katrider

When i bought my harley from the dealership new in 08 i had em throw in a full face flip up helmet that was top of the line. I think i wore it twice and hated it the whole time. I really want to not hate wearing gear, getting into sportbikes i feel like its necessary. So for me, cooling and comfort are gonna trump price in this particular area. I also want tinted and clear lenses with the pull away tabs becaus in the summer the bugs in texas suck. Thanks for the suggestions, im researching all suggestions and appreciate the input.
Old 08-10-2017, 05:35 PM   #10
Heeltoeclutch
Katrider

My first helmet was an HJC CL-16; about $100 and it fit well, was DOT and SNELL approved, but a bit heavy. That gets old.

I recently was looking in that same price range as you are now, and discovered that AGV makes nice helmets in the $250-400 range. I just picked up a K5s for $300 from Revzilla as there are a bunch on closeout right now. Carbon fiber and fiberglass, very light, integrated sun visor, tear-off posts that you're looking for - and it feels like a $600 or $700 helmet. If you have a store that stocks AGV helmets I highly suggest trying them on and seeing if they fit your head - IMO they are great value in the price point you're looking for. It has a ton of vents too which is nice.

My head is an "intermediate oval". Every helmet manufacturer and model fits differently. I think determining this in relation to your head is paramount to not hating a helmet.
Heeltoeclutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links

KatRiders.com > Suzuki Katana Forums > Gearing Up