1982 Suzuki Katana GS1100SXZ

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1982 Suzuki Katana GS1100SXZ

Hi All

I recently acquired my Suzuki Katana after a long wait for the estate of mylate father to be sorted out.

I want to restore the bike to its original look but I have a fewQuestions/Problems...

1st Problem:
    As far as I gather from some google searches the Katana was released as aRacing Spec which was called the Bathurst Model... 1981 to 1982... Vin Number:GS110X-100388 to GS110X-101324... Are these Correct? (Attached: Katana-Frame NoChart)...
    My Bikes Vin Number is:GS110X-101049.. Which puts it in thisBracket(Attached:Katana-Steering_Number)...
    I am from South Africa(Where they even imported to here??)..
    Would this mean mine is a Bathurst Model?

2nd Problem:
    If mine is a Bathurst Model where does it leave me?
    Are they as special as they seem to be? Are they rare bikes?
    (My Late Dad always told me his bike is one of only a thousand ever produced??)
    Here in South Africa it seems there is very little information on these bikes.Does anyone know where I will get more information on my Bike?

3rd Problem:
    Where do I get the original look of this bike?
    I want to know did they have straps over the seat? What did their speedo looklike?
    Does anybody have a gallery of pictures I can refer to?

Last Point:
    I’m 23 and I absolutely love this bike... It’s just such a looker compared toother bikes of its time..
    So in this regard I would appreciate any help I can get to have it look right.
    I want to show it in honour of my dad.. It was his pride and joy...
    It needs some love but its still in pretty good shape.. (Attached:Katana-SideView)

Thank you in advance.

Ruan Greyling
    Attached Files

Originally posted by RuanGreyling View Post
    Hi All

I recently acquired my Suzuki Katana after a long wait for the estate of mylate father to be sorted out.

I want to restore the bike to its original look but I have a fewQuestions/Problems...

1st Problem:
    As far as I gather from some google searches the Katana was released as aRacing Spec which was called the Bathurst Model... 1981 to 1982... Vin Number:GS110X-100388 to GS110X-101324... Are these Correct? (Attached: Katana-Frame NoChart)...
    My Bikes Vin Number is:GS110X-101049.. Which puts it in thisBracket(Attached:Katana-Steering_Number)...
    I am from South Africa(Where they even imported to here??)..
    Would this mean mine is a Bathurst Model?

2nd Problem:
    If mine is a Bathurst Model where does it leave me?
    Are they as special as they seem to be? Are they rare bikes?
    (My Late Dad always told me his bike is one of only a thousand ever produced??)
    Here in South Africa it seems there is very little information on these bikes.Does anyone know where I will get more information on my Bike?

3rd Problem:
    Where do I get the original look of this bike?
    I want to know did they have straps over the seat? What did their speedo looklike?
    Does anybody have a gallery of pictures I can refer to?

Last Point:
    I’m 23 and I absolutely love this bike... It’s just such a looker compared toother bikes of its time..
    So in this regard I would appreciate any help I can get to have it look right.
    I want to show it in honour of my dad.. It was his pride and joy...
    It needs some love but its still in pretty good shape.. (Attached:Katana-SideView)

Thank you in advance.

Ruan Greyling
    The speedometer is correct.
    Check out my photobucket for reference.
    G
    GSX1000SZ-My Beloved Rat http://photobucket.com/GIABLO-MOTO 714-461-9607 [email protected]

Comment

Hi Ruan, I have just restored a 1982 GS1100 myself. I live in Jukskie Park Randburg and am availible for any advice or help you might need. Regards Norman.

Comment

1100 Kat

Hey Ruan,
        Yes you are correct regarding the "Bathurst Model". These were imported to Australia (I believe some went to SA as well) for homologation so they could be raced in Australia and the rules were changed at that point to limit cc to 1000. Only 200 1100's were imported and I am unsure if the 1000's made it to Oz. The bike is noted for having Spoke Wheels, reason was to allow for changing rim and tyre sizes for racing. They do have an ID stamped into the main backbone of the frame where the rear tank mount bolts on but I was unable to find out what the codes were, only that the "standard" ones were not stamped in this area. They also had minor engine differences ie lighter flywheel for more zippy response (heh like you really need it) and Flat side carbs (which were a pig on the road so I now have CV's). Absolutely bulletproof engines, I racked up 136K on the same crank over 20 something years with a couple of facelifts. Maybe if yours has mags it may be a later version, still a top velocipede, looks like a million miles an hour just sitting there.

Your pix shows spokes and flatsides. Looks like you got the gear
        Last edited by bloke45; 07-21-2015, 10:54 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Working...
        X