Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

One Month Old Kat, 1600 Miles and now its totalled.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At 1600 miles, I dont think its broken in enough to ride it at 90 mph. Sorry about your bike man, its hard for me to see those pictures. I think your friend should own up and take responsibility for it.
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

personally....if it was just me and my buddy involved...we would shut our mouths about what really happened until we come up with a definate game plan.
      You are sort of commiting yourself to limited choices the more you talk about it like this.
      and READ your policies before you even contact the insurance to see what is covered and how.

an example would be that your policy does not cover him driving.....and his insurance doesn't cover him riding someone's motorcycle. now you are left with a wrecked bike and no coverage for damages. but hey....if your bud has enough cash floating around to hand you the value of your bike in case the insurance finds a way out, then you have nothing to worry about.

However, if you have theft and someone stole your bike and parted everything out on ebay that didn't have a serial number.... and you reported it as stolen......well, you would have the money for your bike, and then some. enough extra to cover the deductible and raise in rates if you are lucky.

do you see what I am getting at here?
      but of course, you now have a whole lot of people who know what really happened....so that is one option that is squashed.

insurance companies rely on loopholes and fine print to get out of paying, and you sometimes have to fight back in unethical ways. so sometimes it is just best to be silent about certain facts.

mind you....I would NEVER do ANYTHING as unethical and illegal as this. Mostly because I don't lend my vehicles in the first place.
      It is just an active imagination.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

borrowing bikes

First off, it's a little disrespectful of your friend to beat on your bike after you asked him not to. I'm glad he's OK, but I hope he as well as you learned a valuable lesson. I for one wouldn't lend my bike to anyone. Nothing good can come out of it. If he'd get pissed at you for not letting him ride, then I'd have to question how good a friend he is. I hope you can get your bike fixed or replaced with little or no expense to you..... Stay well.
        "Glory isn't found in dying for your country. It's making the other S.O.B. die for his!!!"
        George Patton

Comment

I can imagine losing a new bike to an accident is really frustrating, especially to a trusted friend. However, insurance will cover the damage, whether it is his insurance company or yours. It may be an expensive lesson but it could have been worse.

Ultimately, however, your motorcycle is just a machine (as beloved as mine is to me) and eventually it would be siitting in a junkyard as scrap or sold to someone else at some point. A long time friend is much harder to replace.

It's easy to make new friends, it's hard to make old friends. Remember that when you start to think about fixing/replacing the bike.
          "The secret to life is to keep your mind full and your bowels empty. Unfortunately, the converse is true for most people."

Comment

Yea, whatever you do don't let an accident come between your friendship. Work with him and you'll be able to come to a fair arrangement.

-M

Comment

Originally posted by Kat-A-Tonic
              However, insurance will cover the damage, whether it is his insurance company or yours.
              If you know this for sure, then he has nothing to worry about. But how can you say this?
              First, if his buddy does not have full coverage with his insurance with it written in the policy that he IS covered to driver other vehicles, than you can forget about his insurance paying. Not all insurers give this option.

Also, is it mandatory to have a class of license in his region to ride a bike? If so, does his buddy have one? If not, it could be grounds not to pay.
              He could also be insured as the ONLY driver of that bike and has to state that others will ride it from time to time....and sometimes that is an extra fee.

I am just tossing examples out there.....as someone who has done his fair share of dealing with insurance companies and know that they can and will find a way out if they can.

It is common knowledge that you are not supposed to discuss details of an accident with anyone except the police for the sole purpose of the accident report.

I really think he should know exactly how he is covered before he talks about it too much.

Comment

At least your pal is OK.......
                This "Phat Chick" rides her own!!!
                BTW, I think they may have been correct. It does appear that BLACK is indeed the FASTEST color. R.O.R...R.I.P.M

Welcome to KatRiders.com!Click here to register

Support the KR.com site by shopping here: http://www.motorcyclegear.com/?utm_m...iderscom"]Help

Comment

Thanks for all of the feedback.

I called my Insurance Company (State Farm btw) on Sunday and told them what really happened. I don't give a damn if I have to pay a thousand or two. I'm NOT comitting insurance fruad by some suggestions that were mentioned.

He doesn't have car insurance neither. Nor a car. (Long Story) and no Health Insurance. Which I'm sure he's going to be paying a 10-15k Hospital bill. And I won't take a close friend to court, no matter what the circumstances (to a certain degree, and this isn't one of them)

State Farm said I will be out my deductible which is 500 and that's probably it. I have it on my policy where it would cover a situation such as this. I will never use it again, but we'll see where it goes from here.

It was taken into the dealer where I bought it from today for an estimate. State Farm and them will be communicating and they said an adjuster should be out around the end of the week.

I'll keep everyone update

Comment

that sucks, but at lease your friend is ok. I don't let ANYONE drive my bike unless they have a bike nicer than mine. You break it, you bought it!
                    My Karma ate your Dogma

Comment

Originally posted by Smalls
                      I'm NOT comitting insurance fruad by some suggestions that were mentioned.

He doesn't have car insurance neither. Nor a car. (Long Story) and no Health Insurance. Which I'm sure he's going to be paying a 10-15k Hospital bill. And I won't take a close friend to court, no matter what the circumstances (to a certain degree, and this isn't one of them)
                      it's only fraud if you are proved different. you pay for insurance. and this is when you need it...regardless of how you claim it.
                      but hey....some folk just like to play the straight and narrow....even though the opposing team have been known to cheat like a basterd....but hey, to each his own.
                      myself....I just like to make sure all bases are covered.....and for sure my buddy would not have been left him with a $10-15k medical bill. it would have went on the insurance. Ya...it was his fault and all....but that is an expensive way to learn.

Comment

That really sucks..glad your friend is ok though!

The only ppl that ride my bike are myself and my dude..NO ONE else! A co-worker wanted to "take her for a spin!" I told him to pack sand and get his own...

My F-I-L rode my dudes old ninja and when he came back he did not realize the stand was on the edge of the sidewalk..well it fell over and busted the mirror off and left a few scratches...he said" I will never ride anyone elses bike again!" I agree... Its just a bad idea.

KCCO!!!
                        Why does Sea World have a seafood restaurant? I was sitting there eating and thought...OMG I could be eating one of the slow learners!"

Comment

Good for you for making him wear your helmet and jacket. You may have saved his life. He can repay you by replacing those items along with the bike.

I have only one friend who is a racer and ten times the rider I am. He's the only one I let ride my bike and even then I'm on pins and needles sick with worry. Bikes are just different.

Comment

sad to see a Brand New Kat in this condtion. Its a machine, it can be replaced or repaired. Now for Your Friend. I think He's got his own Reminder about being a dumbass. A hard lesson Indeed.

as for My Kat, No-one rides it but me. Bottom line.

Comment

It's hard to tell from the pictures, but even at regular retail prices it doesn't look like there is $500 worth of damage to the bike. Looks like it needs a new left side cover, upper left fairing, turn signal, and mirrors?

Try to find a used cover for that left side before getting insurance to pay for it. If the bike still runs, the rest is cosmetic.
                              -Steve

sigpic
                              Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                              Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I guess I'm an exception, but I'll let almost most riders take mine out
                                if I've seen them ride and they look good I don't mind
                                but I have a 17 year old beater, maybe that's the difference
                                Live and Lean.
                                When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
                                "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
                                Romans 3:23

Comment

Working...
                                X