Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

whats the longest ride you've done on your kat?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by minig0d
    I'm interested in making a 600 mile trip (in one day) and I've never been more then an hour and a half on the katana at one time... (or any bike for that matter)... how bad a trip is this going to be realistically (on a stock 05 600)???
    The idea is to break the day up into segments that are managable. If the trip is almost all interstate, running at night at this time of year makes sense (far less heat to contend with, far less traffic, better time in general -- provided you can stay awake). Doing an hour or 90 minutes on and 10 minutes off, plus a longer break every other stop (sit-down meal, etc) is an easy way to make it happen. Trying to do 600 miles straight with only fuel stops unless you're either experienced or really young (17-22) is much more difficult.

You can find a big list of do's and don'ts for your first long ride in this thread:
    http://www.katriders.com/forums/viewtopic.php?t=14175
    Which give you tips about stretching, drinking, eating, when to call it quits, what to pack, etc.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

I'm only 24... but ya I'm always down for a lot of breaks as long as I can make it in one day I'll take all the breaks I need. Thanks for the link I will print it out as a reference

Comment

I realized afterwards that the link for the toolkit page was obsolete. You can find another copy of it here:

UPDATED THREAD URL:
        Got a tweaked piece of plastic? Some roughed up paint? Here's the place to get some tips on repairing your Suzuki Katana.

Cheers,
        =-= The CyberPoet
        Last edited by The CyberPoet; 01-26-2008, 11:56 PM. Reason: Change URL to reflect change to VB software at KR
        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Trip to the Gap from here is about as long as I've gone in a day . Well , that trip AND a little riding once there . Like 350 like everyone else I guess . But my knees kill me after that . But that's mostly highway sitting in one position all day . Done a few 300 mile days around here on backroads and was tired , but not too sore .
          I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
            ... Trying to do 600 miles straight with only fuel stops unless you're either experienced or really young (17-22) is much more difficult...

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            I knew there was at least one advantage to being a young dude
            gosh I fear getting old

dad and I drove 250miles one time without getting off, not even walking at gas stops, did a 350-400 mile day in the mountains
            but I'm no ironbutt
            Live and Lean.
            When the going gets twisty, the going get twistin.
            "For all have sinned and fall short of the glory of God."
            Romans 3:23

Comment

750 km single day. Only stops were gas and liquid. Then did it again two days later. Little sore after final day.

Comment

350 or so all highway from upstate NY to NJ...yep im a pussy.......

Comment

Hey , it's those highway miles that are the hardest , where you're stuck in one position and can't move around so much . I did 300-ish backroad miles , and other than stiff knees from dancing on the pegs , I was fine . But 300-ish highway miles is WAY worse .
                  I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

We're pretty much at 300/350 miles every saturday...the lightweight rides are 200...

But no Kat's here...

Comment

From New Albany, Indiana to Daytona and back for bike week last year. Highway miles totaled around 1900 miles due to taking the scenic route back. Plus, I went through about 4 tanks of gas while I was there. I'm guessing a total of about 2600 - 2700 miles total for the trip.
                      94 600 With a GSX-R 1100 engine. Stretched, lowered. Air shifter, Nitrous, Who knows what next...

Comment

Did about 260 miles from Dallas to Houston, with one stop.

Am gonna ride from Dallas to Austin this Friday which is about 200 miles
                        2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

Comment

I've just gotten my bike (2006 750) & finally took a day off to go riding. I put on 150 miles on a planned trip to Lancaster, PA and back. I could have easily doubled that amount, I was surprised how comfortable the bike was. I'll be planning longer day trips soon.

Comment

Well I just rode the bike from here to my g/f's house which is about 75-80 miles away... (each direction)... I was doing the speed limit (70) most of the time because of the weather conditions... and my bike is an 05 stock... lets just say my rear end was hurting big time and my hands were about to vibrate off... oh my grips aren't stock they are gel grips and I had on gel palmed gloves... and I found the leg position very uncomfortable (I'm 5'10)

what gives? I mean am I just a woos or is something wrong here.... I mean a corbin seat might do wonders but sheesh...

Comment

You might be a wuss... or your bike might need some maintenance (were the valves checked & adjusted, carbs sync'd at 600 miles?)... or it could be down to such factors as your weight/size (the stock seat isn't comfy for distance if you're broader & heavier than 140 - 175 lbs).

Cheers,
                              =-= The CyberPoet
                              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

200+ a day just blasting around the city and beaches, haven't gone on a long ride yet.
                                "A Superior Rider is one that stays of trouble by using his Superior Judgement to avoid situations that my require his Superior Skill."

Comment

Working...
                                X