X

Used Kat disappointment (long post)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Used Kat disappointment (long post)

I bid on a 95 Kat. 600 on Ebay and was highest bidder but didn't meet reserve. Second chance offer came thru at $1900.00. Went to look at the bike, really like the color (teal) and decals. BUT has 15K miles, 2nd owner, who never changed the oil or filter(s), or plugs and he put 3K on it. Heavy scratch marks on both fairings, clutch lever way loose, throttle doesn't spring back and is stiff, missing one reflector. Engine seems strong but idles way too fast and most likely needs a thorough carb job (he didn't do much to winterize it...live in Ohio), never had valves adjusted, no owner's manual, etc. I still like it but am not mechanically inclined and figure 4-500 to have it right, not bothering to replace the fairings & decals (only that much more). He's firm on $1900. (I have an 05 GS500 right now only 8 months old so I have some comparison). Any thoughts? Probably pass on it? My neighbor and I both rode it and it seems to run well. He said you can't expect much from an 11 yr. old bike. Still undecided. (I will keep the GS500 for time being). You also need to give it some gas to start. Tires are new and battery 1 yr. old. Sorry for long post.
    LMT

Yes , you CAN expect QUITE a bunch from an 11yo bike that was TAKEN CARE OF . Yeah , he's dumb , and asking a bit much , but it wouldn't be TOO hard to fix those "little things" . The lack of oil change is the worst bit , but the milage is still ow enough that it probably wouldn't be TOO terrible . A compression check woul be nice ...... but it sounds like the guy is a tool , so you may wanna just pass .
    I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

PASS!

Comment

barter the guy down.

Bring a freind whos versed in this stuff, or somebody who can bluff researched facts well enough to make this guy see that hes asking too much and that hes never gonna sell a mistreated 11 year old bike that needs serious elbow grease at that price unless its in champ condition.

Guy didnt take care of it, lowers the value, period. even better running bikes of the same year go for less than that. etc. The clutch and throttle sounds like it could be dangerous, a bike that idles really high can be hader to control, what about the oil? never changed it? hows the clutch, are the gears about to go?

Not worth the effort to you to barter him down? not worth buying the bike, move on to greener prospects.

just my .2

Comment

Do you like mine? =D

Comment

IMHO I would attempt once to bargin down a few hundred if not then just pass. It sounds like it was really abused.
            "Wait you are hitting me for something I might do"

Comment

Originally posted by Rax
              There you go!

Comment

Too much... my $.02

Comment

Pass. Let's say your numbers are right and cost to get her going is 1900 + 500 = 2400. Surely you can find another one for that money without some of the concerns. I bought a 95 for 2000 that has almost 30k miles but was really well taken care of as far as I can tell. And I love it.
                  As for talking him down, it sounds like you would do better to find another $2400 bike and talk that guy down to 2k. this guy doesn't sound like he's coming down. Let some other sucker buy it.

Comment

For $2k you should be able to find something that's in less questionable shape. If there *are* any problems with the motor, you're still looking at spending a few hundred to fix them, and a bike with more miles that was well maintanied would then be a better choice anyway.
                    -Steve

sigpic
                    Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
                    Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

I bought my 88 for $2,500 which I know is a little pricey but the previous owner took great care of it. It has 2 new tires when I got it and was never dropped. The bike was garaged all its life and only saw rain a few times. The plugs were changed and the carbs were cleaned before I got the bike. So far the only money I put into the bike was to get it inspected, a new battery, a fuel tank rust conversion kit,oil and filter and sparkplugs. Basically just the normal mantinece parts. The bike treats me really well and has never left me sit. The carbs do need cleaned again because I put a lot of mileage on the bike since I had it and the carbs have not been cleaned since I did the rust conversion in the tank so I am sure the carbs have some rust in there which makes it idle alittle strange sometimes.
                      Basically my point is if you save up a little more money and shop around you can get a decent bike that will last you for a very long time.

Comment

Pass. All the things you are aware of are only what he's told you and you can ascertain from riding it. Who knows what else is lurking under that tank.

Comment

bought my 98 for $1900 w/14k miles

Take a Spin With The KR Mascot...
                          http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wdjHBFbMAWE

Comment

Thanks for all the posts. I'm convinced I'll pass on this Kat. I also forgot to mention the shifter is way high may have been displaced from dropping and never readjusted.
                            LMT

Comment

Working...
                            X