X

Where to get ABS plastic?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Where to get ABS plastic?

Does anyone know a good place to get ABS plastic? I don't need a lot. Just enough to fix a 2-3" chip.
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Harbor Freight has a plastic welder rod collection that includes a few ABS rods for about $5.

Cheers
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Actually, I need about a 2x3 peice. It's not a crack, it's an entire chip missing. I'd show the pic, but the topic the pic was in seems to have disappeared.
      -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Brooder I had to pull that thread for a minute while I get better organized of what's actually here and what's not.

Your tail I'm told should arrive here today so I'll throw a couple of pieces of scrap plastic in with it for you to play with before I ship it out
        Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register

Comment

Jim saves the day again! You could also check McMaster Carr. http://www.mcmaster.com/

Comment

On my RF Fairings some of the tabs were broken off. I went to a Hobby/Model Plane Shop and found sheets of ABS Styrene sheets in differant sizes and thicknesses. I would cut enough from the sheet to form the tab. Use a heat gun to to barely melt the ABS and form the tab. Practice with piece prior to making a tab, its like playing with clay or sculpting. Once the tab is formed try to push it onto the fairing while the tab is in the melted/soft condition.

Once pressed on you should be able to hold it in place and move it around to get a good seating to the fairing. Let it cool and see what happens.

If it doesn't stick, what you have done is created a good mating surface between the tab and the fairing. At this point apply GOOP (can be found at Homedepot, Lowes, Walmart) between the mating surfaces and hold in place. Curing time will vary with temperature and humidity. Once complete start reassembling. That GOOP stuff is very strong I've used it on boats and car window trim and it holds very well.

All of this is on the inside part of the farings and hopefully want affect the exterior of the bike.
            Cost of all this was approximately $15.00 for the ABS sheet and GOOP. If your careful a propane torch will do.

If you have a plastic welder with ABS rods all of this would be a simple repair!

Low Budget Repair Job
            Riding the twisties of 9,11,28,178,215 of Western North & South Carolina.

Comment

Thanks, Jim! That'll make life easier.

rf: Thanks for the tips. We've got a Hobby Lobby nearby. I guess I should check there to see what they have...if I need to get some more.

And I don't have a plastic welder. I did find a website that explained it using a soldering iron. There's that or an epoxy I found called Plastic Weld. Supposedly it cures to a weight-bearing plastic.
              -Unknown Author

-Terence

Comment

Motorcycle junkyard; get a pc that no one wants and you can bend it with a heat gun. Use "plastic epoxy" ( @ auto parts store, two part injector) with some window screen material on the back.

Or, shave some ABS and mix it with Xylol, let it desolve and you'll have liquid ABS that will harden better than any glue.
                So mush life, so much time .

Comment

Working...
                X