X

rough running hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• rough running hot

Went on my first group ride today. We hit traffic heading into little town of jim thorpe,pa. I shut my kat down and coasted down the hill to help. It was about 80 miles to there back roads, cool, and didn't push hard. We were very slow through crowded town and was getting warmer out ( bout 80). My rpms started to climb at idle with no throttle and in nuetral too. It felt rougher running too. When we shut down for about 15 minutes and went to start back up it was hard to kick over. Then it felt really rough for a while until hit some smooth sailing with out traffic. There was a lot more vibration, 1st gear low rpms felt like it was going to 'pop' out of gear. Throttle respones was also sluggish. Any thoughts? Let me know if need more info. 750 all stock.
    A fool can't act wise, but the wise can act a fool.

How many miles on it? How many miles since the last valve adjustment and carb sync?

Comment

Today just rolled over 8k. Bought 5 months ago so not sure last valve adj and carb sync. I did just run a seafoam treatment. Ran about half tank of gas after seafoam treated gas.then topped off before ride. I was actually planning on pulling carbs once riding season done. Prob about a month for me.

Comment

Just a thought, did you leave the choke on? It can cause similar symptoms. Don't ask me how I know.

Comment

Haha! No I did check choke. I have some wierd tick that I check to make sure choke didn't mysteriously move like every 10 minutes.

Comment

Generally a lean running engine will run hotter.

As an engine heats up your valves get less clearances due to the metal expansion. If they are out of spec to start with, this could cause problems sooner.

A combination of slightly lean (runs a little hotter) and valves out (a little tight) could make just the problem you have... or similiar variances of the same situation.

Another possibility could be loss of spark from a poor connection on the plugs or faulty plug wire to cause irregular spark.

Krey
            93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Yup. Valve adjustment is every 7500 so.....I'd say you're due. That combined with the fact that you've never pulled the carbs and adjusted the A/F screws...probably running lean and hot.

Time for a valve adjustment and then a carb sync.

Comment

Thanks all for the input. Looks like it comes down to the same stuff. Well I'd rather regular maint be the issue than a actual problem.

Comment

Working...
                X