Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

new to the family (battery or no battery)

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• new to the family (battery or no battery)

hi new fam i have an 2003 kat and just today i went to the store and came back out to a kat with no juice someone was nice to jump me off i got 200 yard down the road and it died as i was slowing down what would this be

Very probably - and hopefully since it is an easy fix - the battery. Have it load tested and replace it if necessary - with a good one.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

You might want to test the charging circuit as well. Usually, if you jump start a bike with a week battery it will keep running until you shut it off. Shutting off on it's own may mean that the charging system isn't producing enough juice to keep the bike running... would also explain the sudden dead battery.
      sigpic Mulholland Hwy Ride
      1992 Katana GSX600F (on permanent loan to a family member)
      2000 Suzuki Hayabusa
      First Hayabusa Commercial Hayabusa Design
      Hayabusa #1 Wonder of Motorcycles

Comment

Originally posted by KatanaGSX92 View Post
        Welcome to KR!

You might want to test the charging circuit as well. Usually, if you jump start a bike with a week battery it will keep running until you shut it off. Shutting off on it's own may mean that the charging system isn't producing enough juice to keep the bike running... would also explain the sudden dead battery.
        welcome to the family ^ this. chances are the charging system has gave up and the bike ws running off the battery. or it could be the other way around, specially with your situation, that the charging system was trying to keep it alive but the tottaly dead battery was just drawing to much on its own.

get a good battery then check your charging system with a multimeter. the battery should have 12.8-13 Volts in it, then started up, it should go up to 14.7 volts at 4000+ RPM
        if all else fails......... Get a hammer

parting out my 89 Kat 750

Comment

Welcome to KR
          92' 600- Bought 4th of July 2012

"Out for my own, Out to be free... One with my mind, they just can't see... No need to hear things that they say... Life's for my own to live my own way!!" Metallica- Escape

Comment

hope its just a battery. welcome
            im an american proud and free , a son of the south dont tread on me.

Comment

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post
              welcome to the family ^ this. chances are the charging system has gave up and the bike ws running off the battery. or it could be the other way around, specially with your situation, that the charging system was trying to keep it alive but the tottaly dead battery was just drawing to much on its own.

get a good battery then check your charging system with a multimeter. the battery should have 12.8-13 Volts in it, then started up, it should go up to 14.7 volts at 4000+ RPM
              that makes a lot of sense i will get a battery and check my charging system. thanks everyone.

Originally posted by boomer_95 View Post

That makes a lot of sense i will get a battery and check my charging system. thanks everyone.
              Last edited by humble soldier; 11-04-2012, 02:49 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

Welcome to KR!
                2002 750 Kat
                2013 Polaris 850 XP LE(wrecked)
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800
                2002 Ski-Doo MXZ 800 X-package
                1999 Ski-Doo MXZ 670 H.O.
                2009 Kawasaki KX250F(SOLD)

Comment

thanks good to be here

Comment

Working...