Full exhaust system gaskets?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Full exhaust system gaskets?

Hey all,

I just ordered a D&D full exhaust system. Do I need to get new gaskets to install the headers? Also, do I need to know anything else while installing the new exhaust? Any input will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

P.S. I know I need rejetting and have already put out a seperate post for jet sizes.
    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

With great Horsepower, comes great Responsibility!

It is a good idea to replace your gaskets when you put a new system on. Also if you have to remove the system alot as well. Other than that just follow the directions and you will be fine. As for the jet sizes that is all up to you and how well you want the bike to run.
    www.mopowersports.com

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply.
      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Am I missing something? I just checked the price for exhaust gaskets on ebay, which is $32 + shipping.

When I called the local motorcycle store, they said that its $4 a piece, which is half the price. How much should they really cost?
        2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

nah go down to your local dealer and get them they are cheap. That sounds about right. $12 for all 4
          www.mopowersports.com

Comment

cool, thanks.
            2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Pffft...you got off lucky. To order B-12 exhaust gaskets from Suzuki Canada is $10 each!

$40 to bolt a bloody header on!
              FrankenKat 1216
              GS Fiter 816
              GSXR750! (race)

Comment

i paid about $16.00 at a dealership

Comment

There are five gaskets. Four header gaskets where the headers mate to the engine (cheap, about $4 each if I recall correctly). These rarely go bad, but its good to replace them if the bike is over 5 years old and you're getting a new exhaust header.
                  The fifth gasket is the collector gasket, which fits between the collector at the header and the midpipe. This is the most critical gasket, as leaks at this gasket at stops will flow straight up into the rider's face (causing headaches and possible other exhaust-gas related issues that are not good for your health). The OEM version of this gasket is about $20. If you are careful, you may be able to get the old one off without damaging it, but if in doubt, replace it.

All of these gaskets are basically an U-channel steel band formed in a circle mated to brass/copper mesh. The one at the collector often tends to get damaged when being taken out...

KNOW THIS:
                  If the fitment for the new one is tight, smear it with a little bit of high-temp antiseize. The antiseize will smoke for five to fifteen minutes when the bike first fires up, but will let you seat it easier and will leave behind chemistry that should make it far easier to remove again in the long run.
                  ALWAYS coat the threads of the exhaust header bolts and collector-clamp bolt (and any other exhaust bolts exposed to temp) with a very liberal coating of high-temp anti-seize compound. Because of the duty- and heat-cycle of these bolts, failure to do this will let these bolts readily seize and break on removal.
                  If you have a header bolt that is being a bear to remove, use an impact driver to turn it a tiny hair tighter (just enough to break any corrosion or lock between the bolt and receiving end), then optionally take a pair of vice-grips to the outside of the bolt's head to get it out. A lot of people break header bolts and it inevitably proves to be a PIA.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP,

Thats exactly what I needed to know. I had a question about the 5th gasket though. This is a picture of the D&D exhaust I got. It looks like it would need two gaskets between the collector and the mid pipe. would they all be the same size?
                    Attached Files
                    2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

On the same topic, I know I need to rejet, so my question is, what size jets do I need. I have already installed Ivan's jet kit. Will appreciate your input.

Thanks
                      2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

On the exhaust gaskets, I have no clue what size that two-into-one takes -- contact the manufacturer. I would expect the back end will take the OEM collector gasket, but I might be wrong on that one too...

As for the jetting, contact Ivan directly. One of the nicest bits of having his jet kit is that he'll usually work with you on what changes you need to make (including shipping you out new jets for free).

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks for the quick reply Cp,

I already called Ivan, he said that he has never tested the jet kit with D&D. He asked me to take a dyno test and send him the result. Only then would he be able to determine the jet sizes. Do you know if the jets from Ivan's jet kit will run fine with the D&D system? I figured someone on the forum must have installed the D&D full system with Ivan's jet kit and would know the jet sizes require
                          2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

If I had to hazard a guess, it'd be one or possibly two sizes larger than what comes with the kit for the OEM exhaust header...
                            But if Ivan specifically doesn't know, then the answer really is slap it up on an dynometer with exhaust analyzer and get the exhaust values on the print-out. It's worth the $25 - $35 for a dyno run to get good exhaust readings -- just don't let the dyno tech-guy tweak the settings until after Ivan sends you whatever rejets you'll need & they get installed. You may also find that it's right the first time out...

Cheers
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Just installed the D&D headers and slip on today. It was a PIA to install the headers, cause the radiator was hard to put back, I had to hammer it back in place. Once installed, I went ahead and put the K&N filter with the bigger donut. Astonishingly, it has quite a good low end pick up. Once at 4000 rpm, it stagnates for a while and will later pick up. It misfires a little if I take it up to high speeds. I am not quite sure how it will run with the small donut on the K&N filter, but till I get new jets, I guess, I'll run it with the small donut.
                              2003 Black/Gray Hayabusa

Comment

Working...
                              X