X

Shim Type Valve Adjustment ?'s

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Shim Type Valve Adjustment ?'s

Alright well I got the valve covers off and everything and got a feeler gauge and measured all the valves. Here are the questions I have. I ave a 95 600 so I have shim type valves and I've gotten (what I think) is the gap measurements of each. I don't know just how much drag is suppose to be on the feelr gauge so I question my measurements. In saying that is it better to put it back together and take my measurements up to the dealer so they can replace the appropriate shims or should I go ahead and do it myself. Also if I do it myself, how do I know what size shim is already in there? I don't have a micrometer, would I have to purchase this as well. Also what is the best place to get shims without having to buy an entire case for $100+. THanks guys.

(A) put some oil on your forefinger and thumb. Put the gauge lightly between your finger and thumb. Pressing your finger and thumb together only tight enough to barely hold a sheet of paper, pull the gauge out. That's about the amount of drag you're looking for to get an accurate measurement. The best thing in the world is to find someone who can teach you in a hands-on way to get the feel for it.
    I've been working on a webpage to try to teach it to people (it's written for the nut-adjuster type, but it will give you the idea), and here's some of the graphics for that page:

(B) The shims normally have their size stamped on them... that makes it easier to identify how much is already there. If you're lucky, you can get away with swapping around some of them, and only need a few to be replaced.

(C) A good shop will sell you just what you need. A great shop will swap with you for free, taking your old ones and giving you some other old ones in the sizes you need. If you use the same shop for buying oil, etc., see if they'll trade with you.

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Why is this thread not stickied somewhere?
      -Steve

sigpic
      Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
      Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

Sticky would be a good idea...

but if you already read it and know how to do it, I should be fine ;0
        2004 R6
        2000 SVT Contour

Comment

Working...
        X