X

HOW TO: Install Lowering Links

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HOW TO: Install Lowering Links

Sometimes it's not always obvious to people, so...

How To: Install Lowering Links
    "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Great write up...
    People are hosting some super stuff lately..
    Good job posting the torque specs and lock tite use!

Guys a little sticky please??!?!

Comment

Outstanding
      '98 GSX750F

Comment

Awesome, this is the stuff we have been wanting. I agree there has been some great write ups lately. Sure do appreciate all of the stuff people seem to take for granted like B_P said.
        TDA Racing/Motorsports
        1982 Honda CB750 Nighthawk, 1978 Suzuki GS750 1986 Honda CBR600 Hurricane; 1978 Suzuki GS1100E; 1982 Honda CB750F supersport, 1993 Suzuki Katana GSX750FP. 1981 Suzuki GS1100E (heavily Modified) http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=94258
        Who knows what is next?
        Builder of the KOTM Mreedohio september winning chrome project. I consider this one to be one of my bikes also!
        Please look at this build! http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=91192

Comment

One thing: go back and edit the metadata so it doesn't say "How to install grips"...

Great write up!

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

whoops!

... same format, different info... you know...
            "Pleasant experiences make life enjoyable, painful experiences lead to growth" - cheap Chinese fortune cookie

Comment

Sticky!!!

Guess I don't have the Md86 touch!!

Comment

I didn't read it , nor do I want to lower my bike , so how do I know it's really sticky-worthy ?
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter
                  Sticky!!!

Guess I don't have the Md86 touch!!
                  +1

Comment

Excellent! Another neat upgrade...Now I just need to find how to adjust me front end to counter the rear lowering.

Comment

We lowered the bike's front end later, so I don't have an official write-up about it - but here's roughly what we did:

Place bike on centerstand.
                      Have an assistance push down on the rear end of the bike (making sure to push on part of the frame, or maybe grab bar). This will cause the front wheel to leave the ground.
                      While the front end is up, place 2 car jackstands under the framerails by the engine. Make sure you place the stands on straight/flat parts of the frame.
                      Have assistant slowly let the bike back down so that it rests on the car jackstands. Note that the only thing holding your bike up is the centerstand and the jackstands - so don't bump it!
                      Put some masking tape on both fork tubes to mark where they currently are (so you can see how much you've lowered it later).
                      Stack some blocks of wood or something under the front wheel so it won't fall when you loosen the tree clamp bolts.
                      Loosen the clamp bolts on the upper fork/tree clamp and the lower fork/tree clamp. This will allow the entire fork/front wheel assembly to fall.
                      From here, you can add or remove some blocks of wood under the front wheel until the new desired height is reached (using the masking tape as reference).
                      Once you've got the right height, tighten up all bolts on the upper and lower fork/tree clamps - be sure to torque bolts to proper spec! All of the fork clamp bolts (top 2 and bottom 4) are all 23 Nm (16.5 ft-lb) for both the 600 and 750.
                      Have assistant push on the rear-end of the bike again and remove the jackstands and blocks of wood.
                      Have assistant slowly let the bike back down until the front wheel reaches the ground.
                      Take bike off centerstand and you're done!

Keep in mind that this was written from memory, but I think I covered all steps
                      Last edited by Teh_K; 12-29-2010, 10:28 PM. Reason: Added torque specs

Comment

You got all of them, but one:
                        Measure your forks from the triple-tree going up afterwards to make sure they are perfectly even (ignoring the tape altogether) -- just in case they weren't before you started. Something that displays at least 1/10th of an mm or 1/100th of an inch is preferable for doing the measurements.

Cheers,
                        =-= The CyberPoet
                        Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
                          You got all of them, but one:
                          Measure your forks from the triple-tree going up afterwards to make sure they are perfectly even (ignoring the tape altogether) -- just in case they weren't before you started. Something that displays at least 1/10th of an mm or 1/100th of an inch is preferable for doing the measurements.
                          +1

We did measure it after we were done (forgot to mention above), but we could only get 1/32-inch accuracy. But yea - you want them as even as possible.

Comment

im bout to lower the front of mine now thanks guys

Comment

man i would be afraid to lower it.hit a speed bump and it could cost some bucks.

Comment

Working...
                              X