No announcement yet.
X

1988 Suzuki Katana "Country Brawler"

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wow......... definitely a long-term project. Best of luck.
    sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
    ------------------------------------------
    89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
    96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
      Oh man.. What a heart breaker....
      Your boy.. Not the bike..

The bike... That will buff right out..
      Now I have seen a lot of crazy ****, but wire nuts on a motorcycle harness... That is a new one..
      Wire nuts, clamp-on taps, butt connectors, etc... it was all garbage, so I cut wires where I knew I'd need reference (the solenoid, specifically), and just removed it all.

I've got a new '88 harness waiting for it anyway, so that one's just for spare wires if I need them for any other project I'm doing.

Also have an '88 Frame w/ a title, but I don't remember if it's got a swinger on it or not, so I may have to clean that part up and reuse it.

I'm def not spending a bunch of cash on plastics, which is why it's in the SF forum.
      Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

2001 Katana 750 'fighter build in progress

Comment

thats funny. same issue with an 88bike im working on for fraeon...wire nuts, twisted together splices. Same story. Good luck
        Never be afraid of DIY. Remember, amateurs built the ark, and professionals built the Titanic.

Comment

Originally posted by BWBuer View Post
          thats funny. same issue with an 88bike im working on for fraeon...wire nuts, twisted together splices. Same story. Good luck
          There should be a universal ***** slap for people that do these things...
          Disclaimer: If what I say seems condescending to you, it's probably not. I don't know (or care) if someone already knows something I'm saying, because for every person that does know, 100 lurkers may not. No offense is intended, but feel free to take it.

Comment

Hey, it was like that when i came back to it from my little "vacation"..... I swear
            "How about you come over to Myspace and Twitter my Yahoo until I Google all over your Facebook"

Comment

You know....
              You can fix that..

I'm betting that if we all tried we could get you every part you need.
              Big questions:
              Does it turn over
              Any clue what the tranny is like?
              Other then that I'm not really seeing anything a wore brush, some time and our hel can fix..

Comment

Originally posted by Christ View Post
                No, sir. If I had another one, I'd sell it.

If anyone wants that right side tail cover, it's free + shipping.

The marker light is junk, and the Sharpie lines identify a crack in the plastic, but it's fixable.
                Please tell me your are joking about using that chain? If not...

I've got the chain I just pulled of my 91 Kat. In good shape...needs a master link to put it back together. I'll even throw in the front and rear sprockets, still in good shape. You can have it all for cost of shipping.

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post

I've got the chain I just pulled of my 91 Kat. In good shape...needs a master link to put it back together. I'll even throw in the front and rear sprockets, still in good shape. You can have it all for cost of shipping.
                  See, already it's coming together..

Comment

I have a bunch of pre mechanical parts like the cush drive that is busted on urs just hit me up we can work something out
                    1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

And then they wonder why I refer to this as a family?
                      sigpicLife throws you curves......enjoy the ones you get when riding.
                      ------------------------------------------
                      89 GSX750F(sold....sob)
                      96 YZF 1000R

Comment

Originally posted by ctandc View Post

PM'd

Originally posted by Black_peter View Post
                        You know....
                        You can fix that..

I'm betting that if we all tried we could get you every part you need.
                        Big questions:
                        Does it turn over
                        Any clue what the tranny is like?
                        Other then that I'm not really seeing anything a wore brush, some time and our hel can fix..
                        I haven't had a chance to test any of that, as yet. I know the trans goes into every gear, but I'm not quite strong enough to turn the engine over by hand using the chain, and I didn't want to attempt to crank it w/ the rat's nest of wiring. I'm gonna knock it over once or twice next time I hit the basement w/ a 12V battery direct to the starter, just to check compression and make sure I don't have to rebuild the motor.

Also going to need a generic (preferably non-keyed) tank cap. Mine's been red-necked. (By the same jackass that thought wire nuts were a good idea.)

Originally posted by Philskat View Post
                        I have a bunch of pre mechanical parts like the cush drive that is busted on urs just hit me up we can work something out
                        The fins in the wheel are actually broken, a few of them are.

I'm measuring this ZX6 wheel this weekend to see if I can get bearings that will match it up to the Kat's swingarm.

Might have to get some shims machined for the caliper and sprocket, or see about re-drilling the Kat's sprocket to fit the ZX6 wheel, but I've got a machinist that does weird stuff for me for cheap.
                        Last edited by Christ; 03-24-2010, 08:27 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

well if it does not work out let me know i have a good rear wheel
                          1990 kat 600 sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Philskat View Post
                            well if it does not work out let me know i have a good rear wheel
                            I'll keep you in mind. Thanks!

Comment

I've got a rear wheel and a cush drive too, but it's a 3 spoke wheel, not a 6-spoke 88 style.
                              Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Wire nuts
                                Umm, funny I've never heard them called that. In Canada we call them "Marrettes". It took me looking at the pic for a min to figure out what you guys were talking about...

Comment

Working...
                                X