X

odd tire question

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• odd tire question

i know this is katriders but there seem to be some experts here so here goes my riding buddy has a flat tire on his intruder (picked up a screw) patched it to get him home surprise surprise it wont hold air now what i am wondering is could we run a iner tube instead of getting a new tire (hes out of work) or are there problems with that?

new tire $100-160

metzeler inertube $22

and if not any one know a good inexpensive cruiser tire in the 170/80 15 range

thanks
    voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
    82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
    83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

hell no. The last thing you want on a bike with a 1 inch contact patch and 2 tires is a blowout at speed.

Sell the old one on ebay (make sure to state it is damaged) and go buy a new one.

If you don't you will wreck and die, sad truth. Don't trust it.

Comment

now, you say he patched it....with what? an actual patch inside the tire, or with a plug? Considering it's an intruder, I can safely assume your buddy isn't about to go tearing up the hillside twisties at mach 3. I would think on a tire such as the intruder has (high sidewall, deep water shedding tread pattern), a patch on the inside of the tire would be a safe TEMPORARY remedy to get him along for maybe a couple hundred miles until he can afford a new tire. I've never run a tube on a bike, so I can't answer you there. Iron Pony sells all kinds of tires, at prices very reasonable for cruisers. check them out here www.ironpony.com

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
      You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

we used a rope patch to get him home the house we had stopped at (his buddy's) had air and rope patch handy better than going home to get the trailer held for a day parked in the garage before it went flat again but we are looking for a longer term solution to get him going but like i stated he is one of michigans unemployed so if any one has experience with tubing a tubeless would love to hear it thanks for the link ill be checking it out

Comment

jump on ebay, go to motorcycle parts, and type in " 170/80 " and a bunch of them will come up. I wouldn't tube it, but that's just personal opinion. A well-done patch should hold air, though, and I would be more inclined to do that than to tube it.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

At the risk of sounding like an idiot (every time I communicate I run that risk for my mind is unruly) I used a plug on my Suzuki Marauder (quick fix on the road) and it lasted for the life of the tire.

I'm ready to hear opposition to this...perhaps I was just lucky. This was several years ago when I first got into biking the second time. (see what I mean?)[IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/teacher/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-3.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/teacher/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-1.jpg[/IMG][IMG]file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/teacher/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/moz-screenshot-2.jpg[/IMG]

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

if u really want to fix it best and cheapest. Remove tire from bike. Go to a truck stop with a tire shop. They have a patch that is both a patch and a rubber plug both. It will never leak or come loose. About 5-10 dollars.

When I say plug and patch both I mean they are made one piece.
              Last edited by Ghall001; 02-16-2009, 01:26 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost
              98% of all Harleys ever sold are still on the road. The other 2% made it home

http://www.ghall1.com/videos/motorcy...C%20VIDEOS.htm

Comment

thats ok i just did a check with a parts fitch stock tire is tubed and guess what he still has the original tire and it looks tubed ill sneak quietly out the back now sorry for taking any ones time

:P

Comment

Re-plug it with a proper plug and proper amount of glue/cement

I have repaired leaky plugs other have installed, just ream the hole out again and install a new plug. But do it properly
                  I have has the string plugs last the lifetime of a tire.
                  Once you use the rasp to ream out the hole coat the pushrod with rubber cement and shove it into the hole and work it around to coat the inside, do this a few times.
                  The place the string plug into the push rod and coat the plug with cement and shove it in the hole so there is only 1/2 or so showing. Let it sit up for a while before you fill it with air. Put in a small amount and check it for leaks. if its ok fill it up and trim the plug flush with a razor blade and off ya go

Arrow heads with the vulcanizing rings or tips or Mushroom plugs are the best but the install kits cost a bit more. Truck stops and tire shops use these and will fix you up.

OH BTW the KENDA cruizers are likely the best cheap tire on the market
                  I have ther 170/80-15 on my shadow. Awesome tire
                  Last edited by hardlydangerous; 02-16-2009, 01:56 PM.
                  98 GSX750F
                  95 Honda VT600 vlx
                  08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

I ride on a tire for 3 or 4 years with a plug in it and never had any issues.

Comment

Originally posted by DreKat View Post
                      I ride on a tire for 3 or 4 years with a plug in it and never had any issues.
                      Dan Osman climed sheer faced mountain sides at rediculous fast speeds for 15+ years and never had an issue.... until he fell to his death at 35 years old...

[ame="http://www.metacafe.com/watch/233498/dan_osman_speed_climbing/"]Dan Osman Speed Climbing - Video[/ame]

I'm sorry, but your reasoning just doesn't make doing it safe.

Krey
                      93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Working...
                      X