Spoked wheels

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spoked wheels

I searched and couldn't find anything

is there any set of spoked wheels that can be converted easily enough to be used on a pre-kat? from a boulevard maybe?

No idea myself, but a good way to start researching this...

Look for wheels with matching rotor/sproket sets to the Kat. Also, keep in the same rim size range to make it simple, unless you want to go all out in your modification.

Then, check bearing sizes for the wheels to see if you can match something up.

That is a start to see if something is remotely close.

Ronayers, bikebandit, or other part outlets online will help you with the research.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Why would you want to do this?
      Spoke wheels flex and require regular maintenance. There is a reason why spoke wheels aren't found on modern sport and sport touring bikes.

Comment

the bmw bikes come with spokes so most of the new bikes dont

Comment

I'd think a set of wheels off of a motard would be most likely to work easily.
          Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Originally posted by loudnlow7484 View Post
            I'd think a set of wheels off of a motard would be most likely to work easily.
            should be able to get motard wheels to work with a little mods. one hurdle is that most of the fronts only have provisions for one rotor, so that might be a little hard to get around. another option is to look at some old 70's/80's bike, find one with dual front rotor, and just lace up that hub to whatever rim you want. Should be able to get something to work with a little modification. compared to cast/forged wheels, it would be cheaper to experiment (i.e. buying a whole bunch to figure out what wors and what doesn't).

Comment

Why
              at least if you get a flat with a alluminum wheel you can patch it and keep going.
              There is a lot of torque for a spoked rim and you had better invest in a spoke torque wrench.
              98 GSX750F
              95 Honda VT600 vlx
              08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

The Ducati retro sport bikes have them.. I think the biggest deterrent might be tires.

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                  Why

Comment

Originally posted by hardlydangerous View Post
                    Why
                    at least if you get a flat with a alluminum wheel you can patch it and keep going.
                    There is a lot of torque for a spoked rim and you had better invest in a spoke torque wrench.

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
                    Can't speak for him, but a general answer might be "Just something different."... Which has been the driving force behind many modifications since the first motorcycle was made.

I'd imagine that the first persons to think of a making something with only 2 wheels you had to balance to stay up on was asked the same question by all the 4 wheel riding people... Why?...

Glad those guys kept going...

If your about performance I totally see where you guys are coming from. Not all of us are about everything being top performance though.

Just saying... not bashing...

Krey
                    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

I'm not talking about TOP performance. That's just 3 lbs of gay in a 2 lb bag right there.

Comment

I'm not talking about TOP performance. That's just 3 lbs of gay in a 2 lb bag right there.
                        That is a really stupid comment. Even for you..
                        Why are people so down on radical mods.. No imagination? Jealousy?
                        General crankiness?

Oh I know a good mod.. Stickers!! Yeah man. That is pushing the envelope!
                        Or 98+ parts on a pre,.. Wow.. Parts that already fit you just bolt them on..
                        Jeez, buy a Harley..

Comment

BP, I'm all about radical mods, but spokes wheels are for bikes with not much torque. The Katana has a good amount of torque. It will twist those spoke rims REAL fast. So yes, that's 3 lbs of gay in a 2 lb bag. You want radical mods, how about a front suspension that doesn't blow? Or GSXR cams, or bigger bore carbs. NOT gay spoke rims, sorry dude, that's gay. Dude, it's not that hard to put your fairings back on, all you got to do is ask.
                          Last edited by arsenic; 02-10-2009, 07:36 PM.

Comment

BP, I'm all about radical mods, but spokes wheels are for bikes with not much torque. The Katana has a good amount of torque. It will twist those spoke rims REAL fast. So yes, that's 3 lbs of gay in a 2 lb bag. You want radical mods, how about a front suspension that doesn't blow? Or GSXR cams, or bigger bore carbs. NOT gay spoke rims, sorry dude, that's gay.
                            bmw seems to not have a problem with them gay must be the word of the day. finally up to "g" in the encyclopedia?

Comment

Can't get it to run right? Find a trick to add HP?
                              From the first oil change to completely rebuilding the engine,
                              this is the place to talk about the heart of the beast!

this my friend is a mod worth doing Not spoke wheels

Comment

Working...
                              X