No announcement yet.
X

problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Check to see that the steering head bearings are preloaded to the correct torque. Ray.
    85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

loud n low let me get this straight at 140 it felt really scary i like that you had to add wile it was weaving in and out like a snake :O
      voting member of the 750 kat as your first bike club

94 750 katana (my prechuuuusssss)
      82 1100 goldwing interstate (maybe a replacement for the kat)
      83 650 Yamaha maxim (will run some day)

Comment

another problem could be the way it happened. if you hammer on the throttle then relese both hands right away and the bike decreses speed drastically, that could cause the front wheel to shake a little bit
        Ride like there's no tomorrow!!! You never know when your going to run out of "tomorrows"!!!
        Current Bikes:
        1997 Honda CBR1100XX Blackbird
        2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX14R Special Edition

Comment

cant say i would accept that as normal i let go of my bars a couple times and no shake for me. As im a new rider i dont like to test my luck yet thats why i said a few times.

Comment

the only time my bike ever done this was when the tire pressure was low
            TWIST IT

Comment

The bike being lowered will affect this as well. When you lower the bike, you are affectively changing the steering head angle. As CP mentioned above, a steep steering head angle will net this condition, which is what you get when you lower the front of the bike. You are changing both the rake and trail of the bike when you lower it, essentially bringing not only the ride height down, but pulling the front tire up and in towards the frame of the bike. You even shorten the wheelbase ever so slightly in doing so.

Help Support Katriders.com via Motorcyclegear.com

Originally posted by EmpiGTV
              You know why you shouldn't hold in your farts? Because they'll travel up your spine and into your brain. That's where shitty ideas come from.

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
                Check to see that the steering head bearings are preloaded to the correct torque. Ray.
                How do i go about doing this?

as for the other comments, i was cruising at a steady speed and let off the throttle before i took my hands off and continued at almost the same speed slightly decreasing, and my bike isn't lowered so i don't think that could be it unless i'm so heavy it effects it (i weigh 220-230?)
                1996 katana 750

Comment

I'd examine the front tire for cupping/scalloping very closely... At that weight, you need to be running your tire pressure high (36 - 38 psi) to compensate for the extra deflection of the contact patch and to keep the tire from running too hot (running hot leads to cupping/scalloping)...

REPOST:
                  Here are some examples of just about everything that makes tires bad -- from another member who was kind enough to send them to me (of his take-offs). The problems on these particular tires include scalloping, cupping, tread depth below minimum levels AND dry rot or heat rot:

Scalloping: Note how the tread blocks are not the same height at the end of one of block as the beginning of the next?

(for a MUCH larger version, follow this link: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/pics...alloping_1.jpg )

Cupping: Note how the center section isn't smooth, but rather cupped downward in something akin to the shape your hands make when cupping them together?

(for a MUCH larger version, follow this link: http://www.motorcycleanchor.com/pics...alloping_2.jpg )

Dry Rot or Heat Rot (VOC's gone, causing the rubber to stop binding to itself):

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                  CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                  The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by GPon2whls View Post
                    How do i go about doing this?
                    I check by jacking the bike up so the front wheel is off the ground. You can check if it's too tight by giving the wheel a nudge from center to the left and right and see if it moves all the way to the lock on its own (it should) If it's too tight, it won't.

Also while the front wheel is in the air (and the bike is secure), stand in front of the bike and pull the wheel towards yourself and push it away from yourself to check for play in the bearing. If it's loose, it may be able to be tightened, but chances are you'll be replacing the head bearings if that's the case.

Another thing you may want to check is the swingarm bearings the same way. Lift the rear wheel in the air and check it side to side and front to back.

When I first got my Kat, the front tire was 14psi too low, head bearings were shot, and the tires were worn square. It handled worse than anything I had ever ridden. I replaced the tires with Z6's, put in new head bearings and adjusted them, and put the correct air pressure in both tires. It handles like a dream now (as much can be expected from a Katana)
                    My current rides: (see my garage for a complete history of my bikes)

sigpic

Comment

My tires are almost brand new, i put them on the bike in september but i'll give the tire pressure a check and check for play in either wheel. so is that head bearing basically the hub/bearing for the wheel it self?
                      1996 katana 750

Comment

Working...
                      X