X

problem

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• problem

i was riding my 600 yesterday and let go of the handlebars for a sec and it started shaking is that normal or what or what can cause that i think the wheel is out of balance or something

welcome to the tank slapper!! you can get then by wheelying or by letting go of the bars, when the bar start to shake then hits the tank hence tank slap alot of bikes do this nothing wrong with bike my mate had a tl1000 and he cured it with a steering damper and stickier tyre on the front

Comment

is the wheel straight?
      Is tire pressure right?
      Did you happen to be in one of those slots in asphalt , they love to put them in bad spots on highway exits
      Blood , its in you to give! http://www.blood.ca/

Comment

my kat has never suffered from this i can drop the bars at 70+ and no shaking. i would check the tire, rim and then the ballance. my friends kat was doing this because of a worn front tire? but i dont think you should accept this a normal unless you were on a crappy riding surface?

Comment

thats what i thought

it does it at low speeds and not as bad at higher speeds
          Last edited by fastkatana01; 11-09-2008, 02:22 PM. Reason: Automerged Doublepost

Comment

and take a look at front suspension settings.i have bought my kat about a month ago.and the front was disturbing me at the low speed mostly then i figured out that front suspension setting are different left was 3 right was 2.
            i made them both 2 and it is ok now

Comment

where is the settings at

Comment

Top of the front forks.

Comment

On some bikes, ones with particularly steep fork angles, this is a common problem due to the inherent design (more flickable = less stable); this is why a steering damper is a common upgrade to such bikes. The Kat is not one of those bikes, and front wheel shimmy / head shake is something that should quiet down if induced from outside (such as going over a big bump and landing the wheel pointed other than the direction of travel) by the nature of the Kat's design -- long wheelbase & relaxed fork angle.

Since yours is occurring at speed, the problem lies in the wheels or tire(s). General rules to help troubleshoot:
                  (A) If the oscillation occurs less than 2 to 4 times a second at cruising speed, it's called a weave, and that's typically a misaligned rear wheel, or more rarely, very badly cupped rear tire or bad rear wheel bearings.
                  (B) If the oscillations occur more than 4 times a second (high speed shake), that is coming off the front wheel. The usual reason is badly cupped or scalloped front wheel (Dunlop's & Michelin's are particularly susceptible to this for some reason), bad wheel bearings, or wheel simply out of balance. Very rarely is it because of a warped front rotor.

Here's some pics -

Scalloping on the Kats (both pics also show heat-rot cracking in the grooves):

Cupping on the Kats:

Generally, scalloping and cupping both typically happen because the tire pressure is too low for the actual load weight, although rubber formulation & groove size/design play a heavy factor as well.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet

Last edited by The CyberPoet; 11-09-2008, 09:12 PM.
                  Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

my kats been down twice and i have 0 shake at any speed .. definately something to look into
                    so many roads so little time

Comment

I would want to get that figured out asap. The last thing you want to do is have something cause a serious tank slapper.
                      2007 Honda CBR600rr
                      2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                      sigpic

Comment

And to add , mine has been down ..... more times than I care to count . Mine don't do that when I let go of the bars . Most likely suspect is cupping . Been there , seen that (not DONE ) .
                        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Cupped tires, bad wheel bearings, loose head bearings.
                          Pics
                          Pics
                          No pics yet
                          Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                            If the oscillation occurs less than 2 to 4 times a second at cruising speed, it's called a weave, and that's typically a misaligned rear wheel, or more rarely, very badly cupped rear tire or bad rear wheel bearings.

Cheers,
                            =-= The CyberPoet
                            This would have been nice to know about 8 years ago.......

My old GSXR750 would start to weave around 120 mph..... Like it was going through a slalom or something.... it was "doing the snake". By the time it got to 140 or so, it was really scary feeling..... I never did figure out why it did that. Guess it's better that way; it kept me under 120 most of the time!
                            Any and all statements by Loudnlow7484 are merely his own opinions, and not necessarily the opinion of Katriders.com. Anything suggested by him is to be followed at your own risk, and may result in serious injury or death. Responses from this member have previously been attributed to all of the following: depression, insomnia, nausea, suicidal tendencies, and panic. Please consult a mental health professional before reading any post by Loudnlow7484.

Comment

Thread revival! I've got the same problem as the op but when i let go it starts to jerk back and forth really fast and hard first time i took my hands off to adjust my sleeve on a nice road and when i was reaching back to the bars they started to go crazy but i caught it perfectly and didnt wreck or anything but it did it again on a later day the same way again i cought it before it made me wreck or loose control. My tires are 6 months old and this happened when they were new and later. Could the wheel be put on crooked or something like that? could it be the fork settings also? i can check the fork out tomorrow in the light but also wondering what other things it could be. I've got a local bike club(some work at a bike shop that i'm sure could help too) to help me out if there's other possible things i should look for (I'm not to motorcycle-mechanically savvy)
                              1996 katana 750

Comment

Working...
                              X