Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

New Metzeler Z6 RoadTec "Interact"(TM) on the way...

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Metzeler Z6 RoadTec "Interact"(TM) on the way...

Just caught a new press release from Metzeler saying that their Z6 series is being altered to change the way the belts are wound for even better handling, as well as increasing the silicacontent from 30% on the RoadTecs to 65% on the new Z6 RoadTec "Interact", plus adding additional resins & polymers into the compound to obtain the same or better distance-lifespan as the previous Z6's.

New Z6 RoadTec Interact Tech Data (PDF)

Unchanged:
    The tread profile and groove-shapes/groove-spacing will remain the same.
    The belting will still be a metal zero-degree winding (i.e. - belts winding in the direction of rotation), but spacing on the belts will alter based on some finite-element analysis they've done.

Changed:
    The belt windings will be altered to change the spring-rates afforded by the 0 degree belting as you lean over harder/further, causing the compounds at the edge to intentionally run hotter for better grip, while at the same time keeping the center cooler and springing it better for more bump-absorption while traveling straight.
    Major tread compound changes. The new compound more than doubles the silica content (silica compound is highly desirable for grip and for reducing the rolling resistance of tires, but usually means much shorter tire life-span). It also adds a new resin compounds & polymers to the materials matrix to offset the reduced lifespan of the high silica content, claiming the same mileage lifespans the outgoing Z6 RoadTecs had.

Real World (claimed, outside agency tested to come up with the numbers):
    The big deal: no change in performance/feel at any lean angle, any weather - consistent feel all the way to banked over hard.
    5% longer expected lifespan on the tires;
    5% to 15% improvement in wet-weather grip under all conditions (ratio varies by what point it's at in it's tire life/wear, with bigger benefit worn vs. worn previous generation);
    10% improvement in grip/stability;
    7% improvement in handling at end-of-life (i.e. - when the tire is seriously worn compared to a seriously worn Z6 RoadTec);
    5% improvments in predictability, controllability, wet drainage.

Oddities & CP's Notes:
    The base rear-tire model appears to be a 160/60ZR17, eliminating the 150/70ZR17 from the line-up (at least according to the documentation I got). The 160/60ZR17 is listed as being applicable to 4.25" - 5" rims, as is the 170/60ZR17 they will be offering.
    Personally, I'm not real happy that that the 150/70 was scrubbed from the line-up, but since the death of the Kat and other carb'd air-oil cooled bikes (and subsequent increase in HP for their injected replacements), it does make sense for them to follow the market.
    The front tire of the Interact series will be a 120/70ZR17, for 3" - 3.75" front rims.
    All of the new "Interact" Z6 Roadtecs will be weight-rated for the 98+ Kats (or higher), meaning no mistakes matching weight ratings.
    No word on whether the previous-generation "Pre-Interact" RoadTecs would become obsolete, but my guess (based on the past habits of the company), the "Pre-Interact" RoadTecs will become unavailable within 4 to 6 months as stockpiles clear out from distributors around the globe. I would suggest any pre-98's stock pile some roadtec 150 rears now before they disappear (the new fronts will work with the old rears for those on 3.5" rims). I have put in a request for info on this topic to Metzeler/Pirelli USA.
    Pirelli has not announced a change to the Strada line-up *yet*. If Pirelli follows it's normal pattern on the Stradas, the Stradas will morph to be just like the new Z6's Interact in 6 to 15 months...

Cheers,
    =-= The CyberPoet
    Last edited by The CyberPoet; 07-21-2008, 06:19 PM.
    Remember The CyberPoet

yeah i had a post on here two weeks ago or so and figured you would have been all over it, but figured your were rally bound.

good to see you chimining in on it.

now what i am looking for is maybe them push these new tires and being able to pick up some z6s on the cheap.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

will they start to dryrot in the treads in two years like my Rear Z-6?
      CP you know what im talking about.....

Comment

More grip and more lifespan sounds like a win-win to me!

I'm a bit worried about the edges getting hotter by design part though. If you do a trackday on these it could mean that the shoulders get TOO hot and get greasy. Or it might just make them stick better ... time shall tell.
        - Beave

1998 Katana 600 - Traded
        2005 F4i -

Comment

Metzeler USA got back to me today with some additional information:

The new Interact tires are not scheduled to starting arriving in the US until next year. Regarding the 150/70ZR17 Interact I do not have it in the range at this time but I would expect the tire to be available in the late spring/summer of 2009. In closing I would suggest using the current Z6 for your application and check back with us in the spring.

Originally posted by Rodimus View Post
          will they start to dryrot in the treads in two years like my Rear Z-6? CP you know what im talking about.....
          I'm still at odds about those dryrot/heatrot cracks -- normally they only show up like that due to age, running way under pressure (i.e. - running much hotter than desireable), or chemical exposure (spray brake cleaners for example).

On the upside, increased silica content tends to reduce dryrot/heatrot as a whole, so this should be a benefit in that sense as well.

Cheers,
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

As I am now shopping for new tyres (for late spring/beginning of summer), I came across this post.
            Should I wait to get the new Interact or stick with the original while they are still available (and maybe cheaper)?

Comment

The Interacts have not shipped in America yet. If you need tires now, go for the regular Z6's and don't sweat it.

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
              CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
              The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

either way cannot lose, i would like to see price drop on the original z6 but i don't expect it.

“Programming today is a race between software engineers stirring to build bigger and better idiot-proof programs, and the universe trying to produce bigger and better idiots. So far, the universe is winning.”

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet View Post
                  The Interacts have not shipped in America yet. If you need tires now, go for the regular Z6's and don't sweat it.

Cheers,
                  =-= The CyberPoet
                  15 feet high pile of snow right next to my door right now. It's basically for may/june.

Comment

motorcycle-superstore.com looks to have them available now.
                    1995 Suzuki Katana GSX750F

Comment

They started shipping on the 16th of February in the USA, coinciding with the Dealer Expo going on right now in Indy.

Traditional Kat riders should probably stick to the regular Z6's for the rear at this point, because of the unavailability of the Z6 Interact in the 150/70ZR17 size that provides better handling on all the 88-06 Kats.
                      GSX650F riders are encouraged to move to the new Interacts when the time comes for new tires.

Cheers,
                      =-= The CyberPoet

__________________________________________________ ________
                      CyberPoet's Katana Maintence and Upgrade Parts Offerings
                      The Best Metal Steel Aluminum Motorcycle Tire Valves in the World, plus lots of motorcycle & Katana (GSX600F / GSX750F) specific help files.
                      Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Thanks CP.

Comment

The 150/70 is still not listed on Metzeler's website though.
                          Anyway, the old one is still an awesome tyre so I don't think it matters that much.

Comment

Originally posted by Dom View Post
                            The 150/70 is still not listed on Metzeler's website though.
                            Anyway, the old one is still an awesome tyre so I don't think it matters that much.
                            unless they drop the original z6.

Comment

Ok, as far as I'm concerned. I picked up a pair of Z6 with 50% rebate off the retail price at the Montreal Motorcycle Show (thanks Katman05 for the hint).

I talked to a Metzeler knowledgeable person (had a Metzeler booth but was a dealearship guy) and he told me that we probably wouldn't get the new Interact in Canada till Fall.

So because of that and the fact that Metzeler still didn't announced that they would have the Interact in 150/70ZR17 rear, I went with the old one.

Comment

Working...
                              X