Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
X

Tried my usual twisties at night. Mixed reviews.

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tried my usual twisties at night. Mixed reviews.

Last night I tried my usual twisties in the dark for the first time. I figured it may be a cool kinda mysterious feeling since the road is not lit and is tree lined. I took it pretty slow because even with the headlight on bright, I could'nt see too far ahead. It was definitely different, but I will stick to riding twisties during the day. It seemed to make me ride all tensed up, and squinting for better vision. Plus the occasional car coming in the other direction with their brights on was no fun either. Anyone agree/disagree??

I hear ya. I went riding the other day with the g/f's uncle on his GSXR and up where he lives its all back roads. When we started off in the day time I could barely keep up with him through all the twisties and what not but on the ride back home in the dark he flat out left me. I swear he was doing 60-70mph on these back roads while I was put-putin it around. I think he was able to make it home, eat dinner, and saw watch all 2 hours of American Idol finale by the time I made it to his house.

But hey I am just not that comfortable yet with the Kat compared to my other ride plus I don't know the roads like he does so smooth and steady was good for me.

Comment

Riding at night can be tough when you're out on back road with little to no extra light to help guide your way. Especially if you arent used to riding at night it can be alittle intimidating. You also have to be careful because alot of the times out on country roads, the pavement can get pretty slick from the damp air in the country.

I actually enjoy riding at night. I do it so often its pretty much second nature for me from working 2nd shift for a long time.

Comment

Also, obstacles that are easy to spot in the daytime can really screw you up at night, i hit a pothole on the way home from from work around 3 a.m., hit so hard i thought it was going to knock my teeth out

Walter Sobchak: You know, Dude, I myself dabbled in pacifism once.

Comment

always ride at your own pace, I learned the hard way by trying to keep up.

Comment

also at night you have to watch for the anmials laying on the roads

Comment

You might want to reaim your headlights to get a better coverage spread (raise the beam a bit if needed), and consider switching to Sylvania SuperStars (about $20 a bulb) to actively put more light on the road without over-stressing the existing wires & fuses.

You could also go to a serious upgrade and order relays, replacement wiring (thicker) and some replacement bulb sockets, then switch to a real high-output (not street-legal) 110/130 watt rally-grade headlight bulbs... I'd recommend Hella for the bulbs if you go this route.

This isn't to encourage you to travel any faster on roads you're not familiar with, but to improve your safety by providing better illumination of the road at night.

For a lot more info, see:
              CyberPoet's Guide to Motorcycle Lighting Upgrades and Lighting Systems

Cheers,
              =-= The CyberPoet
              Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Problem though , is that the light doesn't tun with the bars , so you're kinda not looking through the turn . In my car I'm not so worried about it , but on the bike , there's just no amount of light that'll make me feel good about it .
                I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

Originally posted by suzukisportrider2004
                  also at night you have to watch for the anmials laying on the roads
                  Laying on the roads, crossing the roads, eating on the road, pretty much gotta watch everything just alittle more at night.

Comment

A couple of things are different at night, the animals come out to play, a whole bunch more bugs, and it's really easy to over ride your headlights, also alot harder to spot any loose gravel or some obstacle that may be on the road. I'd leave fast rides through the twisties for the daytime, less to worry about.
                    R.I.P. Marc (CyberPoet)

Comment

Working...
                    X