occasional hard-starting when hot

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• occasional hard-starting when hot

Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue starting back up after just pulling off the road for a few minutes. My Kat becomes a pain even though she's plenty warm, eventually kicking over with just a bit of choke.

I've recently cleaned, rebuilt, synced my carbs, air screws at 2.5 turns, cleaned the air filter, plugs are only about 3000 miles deep and still look great, new coils about 6 months ago, and just a bunch of general cleaning and inspection of all electrical connections under the tank.

Now here is the question that may make a few of you chuckle, please forgive my lack of knowledge here but...

My main jets are 140's, Y-1 needles with 2 notches showing, stock replacement K&N filter. Could 2.5 turns not be enough at my altitude (sea level) causing me to run too rich? And would that cause hard-starting after running great on the highway for sometime?

Thanks a bunch in advance!
    '93 GSX750F
    '74 CB750K2

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles" -HST

Originally posted by seventhstreet View Post
    Hey everyone,

I'm having an issue starting back up after just pulling off the road for a few minutes. My Kat becomes a pain even though she's plenty warm, eventually kicking over with just a bit of choke.

I've recently cleaned, rebuilt, synced my carbs, air screws at 2.5 turns, cleaned the air filter, plugs are only about 3000 miles deep and still look great, new coils about 6 months ago, and just a bunch of general cleaning and inspection of all electrical connections under the tank.

Now here is the question that may make a few of you chuckle, please forgive my lack of knowledge here but...

My main jets are 140's, Y-1 needles with 2 notches showing, stock replacement K&N filter. Could 2.5 turns not be enough at my altitude (sea level) causing me to run too rich? And would that cause hard-starting after running great on the highway for sometime?

Thanks a bunch in advance!

I would ditch the K&N filter and use OEM equiv, replace the main jets with something not trying to be stage 3 on a street driven bike.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

My first thought was leaky intake boots or vac lines but K&N filters are the devil in the Katana world. Pretty much any issue you have is going to stem from your air filter. Its hard to troubleshoot issues when K&N is installed because it has a laundry list of known detriments to Katanas.
      My build thread (Black Betty) '97 600 (Dearly Departed)
      http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=133286
      2007 GSXR 750

Comment

Wait so... 120 miles per tank isn't normal?

Haha, I believe the PO used her as a "for fun" machine only and he also didn't know much about bikes at all which explains the wonky set-up.

I'll order the new mains along with a filter and hopefully my MPGs will return as well. Thanks a bunch for the info!
        '93 GSX750F
        '74 CB750K2

"Being shot out of a cannon will always be better than being squeezed out of a tube. That is why God made fast motorcycles" -HST

Comment

Originally posted by seventhstreet View Post
          Wait so... 120 miles per tank isn't normal?

Haha, I believe the PO used her as a "for fun" machine only and he also didn't know much about bikes at all which explains the wonky set-up.

I'll order the new mains along with a filter and hopefully my MPGs will return as well. Thanks a bunch for the info!

Before you order the jets, make sure your getting them to match the needles. Pretty sure you have a dynojet kit installed. OEM jets won't work with those needles. You will need to order DJ jets.

Krey
          93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Copy that, I found the DJ kit for my year for a good price on amazon, I'll have a nice range of sizes to play with along with a few spares.

Thanks again for steering me in the right direction!
            '93 GSX750F
            '74 CB750K2

Comment

Working...
            X