X

Construction *Rant*

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Construction *Rant*

Around 9 AM this morning, I was headed north on County G between Reeseville and Beaver Dam, Wisconsin. I was going around 60mph when I crested a hill to see the top layer of road ripped off (the top layer of asphalt was tore off but there was still a relatively smooth portion of concrete road about an inch and a half lower than the finished road), then a lady holding one of those STOP/SLOW signs, then a bunch of construction trucks laying down new asphalt. When I crested the hill, it appeared that these trucks with the asphalt were driving up and down this portion of the road. I managed to slow to about an estimated 40mph before I hit the part where the road lowered. On there it was like oil covered the whole thing. I knew I couldn't grab rear brake otherwise the rear would wash out from underneath me. When I grabbed the slightest amount of pressure on the front brake, the front tire would immediately lock up. I spent, who knows how many feet, rapidly applying front brake and releasing it. My legs at this point were off the pegs and held rigid near the ground, acting like supports every time the front brake was applied. It was all reaction and I could analyze over and over again but thrown in the same situation my instincts would probably have done the same thing. When I finally stopped, I took a deep breath and thanked God for not falling over. I then crept toward the lady holding the STOP/SLOW sign and yelled at her. It was in my opinion that she was not doing her job. She SHOULD have been standing before the road dropped off, not 150 feet after. I feared that another motorcyclist would come over the same damn hill and wipe out. I was pretty irate.

Not only did this freak me out (I've only been riding for 4 months (2,800miles)) but to make matters worse, my girlfriend was driving her car behind me and witnessed it all. She already does not like the fact that I ride. So then she was all paranoid and emotional. I felt like calling up the damn county and chewing their ass out.

The "stuff" I hit I think was this oil that leaves the asphalt when it is compressed onto the road, which then flowed into where I was. I am not positive however, so if anyone knows, please tell me.

Thanks for listening
    "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

I always love the "Construction Ahead" signs that appear about 50 feet before the actual construction. My favorite is when you pass and exit that has a curve right after it to find the traffic backed up. Next exit is 5 miles away. After 4 miles, you find a sign that says "Right Lane closed 1/2 mile ahead". How about some notice?
    Pain is just weakness leaving the body.
    -Unknown Author

The quarrels of lovers are the renewal of love.
    -Terence

Comment

that film is sort of like a bonding agent, from what I understand. it's like the glue the new asphalt to the old surface.

An the flag-person, as I call them...because I had a summer job as a flagman when I was much younger, has to be well ahead of and obstacles or dangers. the distance is usually a judgement call. In your case she was not far enough ahead to warn you of the danger for you on a bike, but it was probably well acceptable for a car. unfortunately all too often consideration for us two wheeled travellers are not taken into consideration.

glad you came out of it ok.
      I don't have a short temper. I just have a quick reaction to bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by Mojoe
        that film is sort of like a bonding agent, from what I understand. it's like the glue the new asphalt to the old surface.

No , that's tack . That goes underneath . They spray diesel fuel onto the equipment to keep the asphalt from sticking to it , however . I've always thought THAT'S what's left behind on the new pavement . Yeah , I used to work for a paving company YEARS ago , and my stepdad still does . And yeah , they'll hire about ANY 'tard that can hold a shovel .
        I am a fluffy lil cuddly lovable bunny , dammit !

Katrider's rally 2011 - md86

Comment

The film is called tack coat and is applied as a bonding agent....now you were doing 60 or so right?? go back there tomorrow theyll probably be still paving and observe all the lead in signs that should be there...if they are chalk it up to you not seeing them..if theyre not call OSHA or locate the forman....if you were on the tack coat like you said it must be all over you and the bike....if the contractor is worth a shit hell pay to have it cleaned..you said you were on a county road,,their traffic control usually sucks,,I work for the NYSDOT and we go out of our way to insure shit like that doesnt happen...but when you get the county or city involved,,traffic control is an after thought and it should not be...Go to your local county office and give them a piece of your mind...do it they need to here it....they need to follow the rules like everyone else...

Comment

Down-shifting helps...
            Aside from that, yes, yell at them to get the flag person to the top of the crest, where the visibility isn't as limited.

Cheers,
            =-= The CyberPoet
            Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Yeah, it was definately that tack coat stuff. I would have gone back the next day, but it was 150 miles away from home. I was on the way home from a trip at the time. There were absolutely no lead in signs. The closest sign way the flag lady who was at least 100 feet after the road work started(at least, probably 150 to 200). The scary part was it started just after the crest of a hill, so I had no warning until I crested the hill. And to answer Cyber, I got downshifted to forth (or third? can't really remember) before I hit it. For some reason I always downshift whenever I brake, even if I brake just a little bit. The rear tire locked up momentarily as soon as I hit the tack coat. This is when I knew I was in trouble. Thank god the engine braking did not lock the rear for too long. The engine braking was pretty much the only thing that slowed me down at that point, because front tire would not grip when brakes were applied. After the incident I had a TON of fresh asphalt on both tires and my boots from driving over the newly paved road that layed ahead. I spent a minute cleaning my tires in which you could see debris flying in all directions. I didn't call anyone when I got home, even though I probably should have. I did warn the flag girl that she better do something because if another motorcyclist went through it he would have a high risk of falling.

BTW, thanks to all who responded to this thread, I was really curious to what that stuff was. It felt like oil under the bike, but like glue when it dried.
              "Life's journey is not to arrive at the grave safely in a well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, totally worn out, shouting," Holy sh*t!!! What a ride!!!"

Comment

If you still have the tack coat on your bike wd40 works good to get it off.....

Comment

Working...
                X