No announcement yet.
X

Morgion's 1995 GSX600F rebuild thread

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming together! You tried running it at all since installing the new system?
    1998 Katana 750
    1992 Katana 1100
    2006 Ninja 250

2006 Katana 600 RIP - 130k miles

Comment

• Looks good
      "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
      spammer police
      USAF veteran
      If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• It's not ready yet, so no. I will finish the exhaust up, install the rear lights, blinkers, license plate bracket and some mirrors and sand down, basecoat and install the tank. At that point it's both street legal and rideable. A couple weeks if all goes to plan, just in time to start the season. There's still some snow/slush on the roads.
        1995 GSX600F ///// Build diary

Comment

• Aaaaaand it runs! Fuggg yeah.

Also primered the tank.

Also painted the muffler springs with the help of a Pacman ghost.

Comment

• Maybe its me but that sounds like its revving a bit high at idle.

Comment

• The choke is on, it's a cold start (and a first one since November at that). Idle is at ~1300rpm when warmed up with no choke.

Comment

• Ahh ok, I didn't know it was a cold start.
                Its the one thing I absolutely hate about carbed bikes.

Comment

• Of course it's a cold start, it doesn't even have any lights or a fuel tank in the video.

But yeah, EFI and ABS for my next bike, please.

Comment

• Nearing roadworthiness!
                    Been tinkering with the rear light assembly for ages, now I'm finally more or less happy with it. Will post pictures when it's ready (soon), nothing special yet.

First motorcycles have already took to the roads, I'm getting really excited to being back on the bike!

Mounted the tank back on, it will stay flat black for a little while:

Also mounted temporary front indicators (next to the radiator):

I did a rough sketch of a camo paint job I'm thinking about. Basecoat will be black, then dark brown, then dark green, then black again, in the spirit of MultiCam Black et al.

Comment

• Fitted hand guards, had to shorten the levers by a bit.

Right side (brake):

Left side (clutch):

Both:

Temporarily mounted the horn to one of the front fairing brackets:

Finished the rear light assembly:

Comparison between running (ring, left) and brake (whole, right):

The arm for the "floating" license plate bracket (missing ziptie holes I added later):

Installed. Drilled some holes along the bottom edge to attach zip ties to hold the license plate light wires:

Close-up of the housing for the license plate light. It's a waterproof LED strip.

The whole rear of the bike:

Spring is coming...

Comment

• Trimmed down the huge front fender. Would've taken more off, but didn't want to affect the structural integrity too much. This way it's still sturdy. Maybe later...?

Cleaned up and installed:

Started fixing the battle damage with classy-as-ever zip ties and that Lego/acetone ABS goo.

Onto constructing my hard sidebags! Gotta have them ready if I wanna commute.

Started by finding some M8 threaded rod to replace the bitch seat bolts:

Through the seat frame. Some nuts in between, then the side handles / pannier hinge.

The bottom tube (actual hinge) welded underneath, painted black, upper tube capped and wrapped in black duct tape for comfort.

The boxes! Stainless steel-sided 49x25x22cm tool boxes from a local hardware store, 23€ a piece.

End parts of the upper mounting hinge system bolted onto the boxes.

Inside:

As you can see from the holes, my overenthusiasm led to a minor miscalculation so I had to move all the mounts by 5cm or install some auxiliary rear blinkers. Gotta bolt a plate over those holes, I guess.

The hinge bolts. Some 12mm threaded rod shaved down a bit.

Aaand finally on there! Still not ready, missing lower mounts and some extra stuff (bracing, locks etc.)

You can see the ends of the L-shaped hinge bolts in there. They just go through one of the mounts on the boxes, then the lower tube mounted to the seat, then through the other mount.

Even clears my ass/thigh nicely in all positions. No chance for a passenger, though, but these will be so quickly removable it's hardly going to be an issue.

Next up the lower mounts, which (with some minor modifications) will attach to the grab rail / net hook things under the rear subframe.

I will make smaller boxes for (limited) two-up touring and commuting later. Just gotta figure something to make them out of. Ammo boxes are really heavy but plastic (tool) boxes are rickety and the wrong shape. Maybe completely custom from aluminum sheet or something?

Comment

• Some proper photos of the bike at this stage of the progress! Runs like a champ.

Finished the locking on the boxes. This way they can neither be removed nor opened without breaking something. Just gotta do the lower supports now.

Comment

• Nice recovery, now let's keep it on two wheels.
                            Plastidip the ends of the keeper bar for the hard cases. I see some bloodshed...
                            "I'm sorry, I didn't mean to upset you when I called you stupid. I thought you already knew..."
                            spammer police
                            USAF veteran
                            If your a veteran, join the KR veterans group

Comment

• They ain't sharp, I ground them down a bit. I also painted them already but they've been thrown around the garage floor for a while now so most of that has been scratched off. Also I like what's left of the threads, gives a good grip.

Comment

• A minor setback. During a night ride I passed through a construction zone, where either pebbles and rocks were kicked up by the rear wheel and struck the rear light assembly, breaking it, or alternatively a hole I rode over compressed the rear suspension enough for the license plate light cover (metal) to strike the assembly (unlikely as I don't think the suspension has that much travel and there was no damage to the plate light cover).

Anyway, I'm going the remake the assembly from 0.5mm steel sheet instead of plastic to be pebble-proof and move the license plate down a notch, just to be sure.

In the second pic you can also see the partially complete lower bracket for one of the side cases.

Comment

Working...
                                X