X

Brake Lever Round Circle Thingy?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Lever Round Circle Thingy?

Hi, I have a pretty silly question... Just got the bike a few weeks ago and im new to bike mechanics... I notice on the front brake lever, theres a round silver shiney circle thing with numbers 1 to 4 around it. What does that do? I got the bike with it set to 1 and I'd rather not mess with it until I have an idea what it does (first owner lost the manual)

It controls how close/far teh lever is from the bar..
    Push the bar forward then you can change the settings.

Comment

thanks, cool!

That tip about pushing it forward was really helpful, wouldn't have figured it out otherwise..

Comment

Standard setting for the lever is 1, just an FYI for ya.

Comment

As long as you are new enough not to be familiar with what the distance adjuster does, I'll make another suggestion:

Adjust your controls to your hand's natural resting position as it relates to your seating position. The levers can be rotated slightly by loosening and rotating the control they are attached to where it meets the bars, and the bars themselves can be rotated a little by loosening where they clamp to the upper-triple-tree (there are small plastic caps covering up bolts which hold them in place - loosen, rotate, tighten).

Setting your controls well will reduce fatigue, reduce the odds of a hand injury (such as carpal tunnel), and increase the odds of reacting appropriately to a crisis situation (minorly, but still).

Cheers
          =-= The CyberPoet
          Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Originally posted by Ghir
            thanks, cool!

That tip about pushing it forward was really helpful, wouldn't have figured it out otherwise..
            Yeah that will burn up an afternoon and a six pack of beer trying to figure it out!!!

Comment

Originally posted by The CyberPoet
              Adjust your controls to your hand's natural resting position as it relates to your seating position. The levers can be rotated slightly by loosening and rotating the control they are attached to where it meets the bars,
              That was probably the first thing I did when I bought my bike. The stock position was way too awkward.

And that's one of the reasons why I'm not too conviced the ZZR1200 is a replacement. From what I could see it has limited adjustability on the hand controls.
              How To Install Race Tech Emulators & Rebuild Forks
              How To Repack Yoshimura RS3 Exhaust
              How To Install Oil Cooler Fans
              How To Install Audiovox Cruise Control On A 1998+ Katana

Comment

Originally posted by squiggy
                And that's one of the reasons why I'm not too conviced the ZZR1200 is a replacement. From what I could see it has limited adjustability on the hand controls.
                I hadn't noticed that; I'll have to look closely at it... Anyway, the ZZR1200 is history (production ended this year); the ZZR1400, aka the ZX-14 in the USA, is due for the spring.

Cheers
                =-= The CyberPoet
                Remember The CyberPoet

Comment

Working...
                X