X

Buying 99 Kat 600

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Buying 99 Kat 600

Hey I just found this site and it looks like a great place to get information and meet new people. A guy at my work said he would sell me his 1999 katana 600 for 1500. Now this bike has been sitting in his shed for 2 years and isnt running at the moment. He is going to get it running before he sells it to me within the next couple weeks. First of all do yall think this is a good deal for this bike if it runs fine. Also how much work and money will he have to put into this bike to get it to run after 2 years? He said it ran perfect when he put it away with only 4700 miles. Once a bike is running after 2 years will it run nice or never the same? Id appreciate the help because I am really interested in buying this first bike of mine. Im sure if I purchase it I will be a regular to this site. Nice to meet you all!

Dan

Welcome aboard!!! Have fun and be safe!! This a great site, I joined the other week and have found it very useful and informative in a short amount of time
    Godspeed
    CSBA #1167
    Renew your mind with God's Word and His Spirit today! Let others see you walking and living by faith! Let yesterday go! God Bless!

Comment

hello and welcome thats is a great price for the bike there no way yo know how much money will you spent it might need a battery or carb work hard to said how much until you get the bike check out get fresh gas charge the battery clean or change the spark plugs clean the carbs and hope for the better
      sigpicAllan

If you love it, let it go. If it comes back to you, you've high-sided!

Comment

With 4700 miles, it sounds like a good deal for $1500 IF it doesn't have any major damage, as in laid down / wrecked.

As for what the bike might need after sitting for 2 years:

- Carbs cleaned
        - New spark plugs
        - Oil change with new filter
        - New Battery or charge the old battery
        - Change / Flush the brake fluid
        - Check the chain and clean / lube if it's still in decent shape
        - Replace the tires (even the tread is fine, they are probably the originals and should be replaced).

Personally if it was me, I'd offer $1200 and do the work myself.

Most everything is easy to do, but can take some time.

If you did it all yourself you can probably have it ready to go for $400 or so. So $1600 total invested.

Comment

Since I have never owned a bike before I'll just take my chances on him fixing it up right then when I get it I might have to do some work to it myself or replace some things like tires. I have not bought the bike yet and can turn it down if it does not run properly so im hoping for the best that it does though. I have seen the bike and it has not been laid down with no damage to the exterior the paint still looks fresh after almost 10 years. He takes good care of his vehicles and seems to be an honest man. Well im going to NY for a couple weeks and it should be ready for me to ride away when I return to SC so I'll have pictures then. Thanks for the advice

Comment

Welcome to KR!
            -
            -

I poured spot remover on my dog. Now he's gone.

Comment

Welcome to KR!

New to Katriders? Click Here!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders!
                2006 Katana 750 (taken by the guy that said he didn't see me)
                2006 VFR800 to replace the broken Kat.

Comment

Welcome!

Comment

Welcome to KR

THE DOC
                    THE DOC
                    RIP MARC......Ride on in Heaven Brother!
                    Experience is a wonderful thing. It enables you to recognize a
                    mistake when you make it again.
                    sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders. Best of luck with the new bike.
                      2003 Katzuki 600

Comment

Welcome to KR!

Comment

Welcome to KatRiders
                          2007 Honda CBR600rr
                          2007 Kawasaki Ninja ZX-14

visit the Twisted Assassins
                          sigpic

Comment

Welcome to KR.

Comment

welcome to the site sounds like a really good deal and the kat is a great begginer bike
                              02' Katana 600
                              D&D Slip on, 5 Degree Factory Pro advancer, 03' tail fairing, Integrated taillight

Comment

Working...
                              X