No announcement yet.
X

what kind of gas?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I run 93 in my kat. Its only $1-1.50 difference a tank full. It makes me feel better and it sure beats 16mpg in my silverado so $20 a week is better than $100 and i go twice as many places as the truck does

Comment

That's $1-$1.50 you just totally wasted. The GSXF engine is designed to use 87 octane.

Comment

I run prem. In my post 750. It runs faster and feels better, no lie. It's a huge difference.
        "2006 Suzuki GSX-F 750cc Katana"
        "2000 Honda CBR 929 RR Fireblade"

Comment

Originally posted by arsenic View Post
          That's $1-$1.50 you just totally wasted. The GSXF engine is designed to use 87 octane.
          Curious as to why you say that. The Vehicle Emission Control sticker that use to be located under my seat said 91 minimum. Personally I like to run 93. From my understanding of fuels 93 has more cleaners ( detergents ) making it burn cleaner and more efficient.

Comment

Because I'm not the sticker under your seat. I actually know what gas you're supposed to use in a 11.3-1 engine. That's not how higher octane works by the way.

Comment

Oz delivered bikes are possibly jetted differently. Our min octane fuel is 91. Both my 750s love 95. Definitely smoother, more responsive and better economy. They hate 98 and run too rich. But when I pulled the pre carbs apart at 155 000kms and after 40 000kms since last carb service and they were like new, I reckon the $2 per fill difference is more than justified. As stated above, the benefits are probably not in the higher octane rating, but in the quality and cleaning properties of a better fuel.

Comment

I used to run premium, but that was before I working on dialing in the af mix a little better.
                Now I use 87 and the engine is loving it. And for people that think bolt on performance mods will mean you have to up the octane, yea I thought like that once too, it is not necessary at all. I have all the common bolt on mods for the 600 and it makes no difference with these engines. Just my .02

TRPUT- I'm sure down under they rate it differently so I would just use what I was comfortable with over there, no big need to calculate which of your grades hit closest to the US standard of 87.
                Last edited by cintidude04; 08-09-2011, 07:32 PM.
                1992- project katfighter
                2005- GSXR750
                2001- TL1000R
                http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111130
                www.lunchtimecigar.com

KATRIDERS RALLY 2014 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2015 - cintidude04
                KATRIDERS RALLY 2016 - cintidude04

Comment

Since I joined this site in November of 2004, there is always some guy that swears his bike runs better with 93 octane fuel. You know what, that's cool with me. 93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.
                  Last edited by arsenic; 08-09-2011, 07:37 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Drinknthink View Post
                    I run prem. In my post 750. It runs faster and feels better, no lie. It's a huge difference.

Um no, false.
                    90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                    I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                    Originally posted by soulless kaos
                    but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

example I bet your K&N air filter is the sizznit too.

Comment

93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.
                        Well look at that, Chris and I finally agree on something.

That quote has gotta be my new sig!
                        Originally posted by arsenic
                        93 octane fuel and K&N pod filters rock.

Comment

Comment

example I bet your K&N air filter is the sizznit too.
                            Mine is, but I have a sportbike with aggressive cams...
                            90% of motorcycle forum members do not have a service manual for their bike.

Originally posted by Badfaerie
                            I love how the most ignorant people I have met are the ones that fling the word "ignorant" around like it's an insult, or poo. Maybe they think it means poo
                            Originally posted by soulless kaos
                            but personaly I dont see a point in a 1000 you can get the same power from a properly tuned 600 with less weight and better handeling.

Comment

I'm aware, I was talking about dudes KATANA.

Comment

after testing a claim I have heard from several people now
                                Shell nitrogen enhanced fuel

my friend was bitching about his bike running rough and slightly surging at steady speeds.This should not be an issue on a low mile new FI bike. Sometimes it was fine other times it was really noticable. A friend mentioned his Vrod did the same thing and had a noticable performance/running change when he started using Shell fuel instead of Sunoko and petrocan, pioneer etc.

After hearing this I ran shell fuel all weekend just to see what if any changes I got.... and my bike ran amazing it was a noticable difference from the petrocanada and pioneer fuels i normally run.
                                Today I had to run over to buffalo and I was almost on reserve. I filled up at Pioneer and all day I noticed the bike was not as responsive as on the weekend and the mid range steady speed buzz was back.

I ran 87 as always and I am impressed with the noticable difference shell fuel made.
                                Last edited by hardlydangerous; 08-09-2011, 08:28 PM.
                                98 GSX750F
                                95 Honda VT600 vlx
                                08 Tsu SX200

HardlyDangerous Motosports

Comment

Working...
                                X