Ad Widget

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.
This topic is closed.
X
X

Why do Harley riders go without gear? Are we the dumb ones?

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why do Harley riders go without gear? Are we the dumb ones?

I know that this is going to be controversial and I am ready for the unkind replies, but who cares...

This may be just a local issue for where I live, but the vast majority of hog riders I see don't wear gear.....any gear, including a helmet. Even their lady is sitting 2-up sans gear.

I read a post a couple of days back where a metric rider had just got back from touring and noticed that "all they saw on the streets were Harley's".

Is this because they are comfortable? Because they are not bundled up in long sleeved armor and full face helmets? Many threads are going around about how hot it is, but they (hog riders) are still riding. I personally see them everyday.

Why is this? Are we victims of a huge mass marketing/brain washing campaign to make us think that we have to spend hundreds of dollars on protective clothing or else there is something wrong with us? Motorcycle gear is a HUGE market after all....

Is it because our bikes can attain speeds unheard of on a V-Twin? If so, what about old guys like me that never get anywhere near those speeds? Or is it that they feel safe enough on their bikes because of the size that they don't see the need for gear?

Now before you pull out your Glock and pop a cap my way, let me say that I always wear a helmet and most of the time I wear an armored jacket, sometimes it's just too damn hot.

I'm just curious what you KR's think....
    "Emini's are the future"

Its all about the image of the biker. Why do some people put on a helmet, jacket and gloves but wear shorts and flip flops?

Comment

I personally won't leave the house without gear. I can go down the street 1 mile to the gas station and I am in helmet, gloves, mesh jacket, mesh pants and boots. If I am going to work it is all of the above minus the mesh pants and jeans are in its place. Only because it's a pain personally for me to take a change of clothes to work. But if something should happen to me on my way to/from work, then that is a risk I am willing to take the responsibility for. If I am going out on a ride where I feel I am going to be stepping outside my comfort zone then its my leathers all the way. But If I am just cruising with friends, then its my mesh gear. So I personally don't care if I am drenched in sweat. I know I have all my gear on and I am being smart.

The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.
      I'm not short.....I am fun sized!

Comment

Ahhh bullcrap, I'd say don't wear any. People need organs every day(if you have any usable ones left after the crash that is) Just sayin!
        sigpic
        1990 750 KAT, 2010 ZX-14

Comment

I wear gear because my hide is worth protecting. I don't preach about it, just suggest it.
          -Steve

sigpic
          Welcome to KatRiders.com! Click here to register
          Don't forget to check the Wiki! http://katriders.com/wiki

Comment

IIRC, this is your second post about lack of gear. Why so worried about it? Me, I ride year round fully geared and plenty of people can vouch for it. I don't like riding with people without gear, but if I'm not riding with them, I don't really care what they wear. All my offs have been at speeds easily obtained by anything with more than 50cc.
            Pics
            Pics
            No pics yet
            Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

The way I see it, there's two types of riders...those who have gone down, and those who are going to go down. Whether that's a 10mph lowside or a high speed wreck, it's inevitably going to happen. Personally, I would rather be overprepared for that event, rather than underprepared. Like katgrl said, even the most expensive gear is probably cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts.
              -1990 Suzuki Katana GSXF1100
              -2007 BMW 335xi (Retired )
              -2008 Audi S5
              -2010 Land Rover Range Rover

Comment

There is inherent risk with any type of machinery; whether it be motorized vehicles or power tools. Anything you could do to minimize injuries is well worth the effort.
                2006 Katana 750 - Daily therapy
                2005 ZZR1200 - Weekend therapy

Comment

I guess my point is being missed...how can there be so many V-Twin riders on the road with no gear. Wonder what makes them not wear gear, but metric riders "have" to wear it.

And in response to "thetable", don't have a clue who or what IIRC is. This is my first post about gear.
                  "Emini's are the future"

Comment

Originally posted by ChrisInTexas View Post
                    And in response to "thetable", don't have a clue who or what IIRC is. This is my first post about gear.
                    IIRC is "If I Recall Correctly," And second: http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=111776

Nobody has to wear gear, it is a personal choice, I believe people on sport bikes tend to wear gear partly because it is in style in more of the sport bike circles, and many of the riders are more forward thinking in the inevitability of gravity/traction tests. In the sport bike crowds, many of the riders we want to emulate are the racers, who are all geared up all the time. Many of the stunters now are even adopting a more heavily geared up approach.

Most Harley riders are not racers, therefor the full gear is not in fashion. Funnies gear choice I've seen was in CO, saw several Cruiser riders in leather chaps, wife beaters, and no helmets. The cruisers are not about performance, so why should the apparel be?
                    Pics
                    Pics
                    No pics yet
                    Just because they sound the same doesn't mean they are: there≠their≠they're; to≠too≠two; its≠it's; your≠you're; know≠no; brake≠break

Comment

Originally posted by Rican Katgrl View Post
                      The way that I look at it is, gear is cheaper than hospital bills and skin grafts. Yes, I think people are idiots for not wearing proper gear. Whether you ride a harley or sport bike. If you have money to go buy a bike then be smart and buy the gear. Whether its 50 degrees or a 100 degress its ATGATT for me.... But that is just my opinion.
                      im gonna use this on my signature thats real smart thinking
                      time to nut up or shut up
                      Originally posted by Rican Katgrl

Comment

I stand corrected, are you stalking me?

And, you actually make a good argument about the differences between the two types.
                        "Emini's are the future"

Comment

It's up to you if you want to wear gear or not. No one controls that but you and TXDoT.

I do recommend this though... ask yourself some questions.

1. Are you willing to trade your skin for comfort?
                          2. Is it worth the risk of needing skin graphs to ride when it is 100*+ out?
                          3. How much hotter is it really wearing gear once you're moving? Are you riding to sit in traffic or riding to ride?

Again, you dont need anyone else to justify what you wear or dont wear when you ride.

It's not a matter of "if" you go down, it's a matter of "when" you go down.

Comment

+1^^
                            time to nut up or shut up
                            Originally posted by Rican Katgrl

Comment

I wear gear, even though the leather chaps I wear may be controversial for some. They have protected me twice in serious spills. The funny thing I noticed last July when returning to West Texas from the rally, is that I saw a lot of people on bikes, and in the 1,450 mile ride home there was only one other rider with gear on besides me.

I don't think the V-twin crowd has the safety concerns we have. I own a V-twin also and do wear gear when I ride it out of town. In town (population of 250 maybe) I will occasionally go without gear, but always wear Levis (501s). I may mend my ways though.
                              Last edited by zuma; 08-24-2010, 03:53 PM.

"A knight proves his worthiness by his deeds."

Comment

Working...
                              X