X

Broken upper shock mounts. Advice needed

Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Broken upper shock mounts. Advice needed

Well, I was mocking up my shocks and lower mounts to determine the exact placement of the lower mounts. I bolted the upper mounts without an issues until I removed the nuts. The upper mount snapped on the left side and I was even wrenching hard

What would be the best way to fix this? There appears to be enough material to cut with a die and use a thinner nut. Would this be a good idea?

Can these be replaced by grinding the welds w/o much problems? I do not mind getting larger strong bolts welded for the zrx shocks.

Any advice is welcomed.

Just from the pic my first thoughts....

Cut off the remainder of the section that was threaded... right where it steps up.

Drill out/into the remaining section and tap it for threads the same size as your stock bolt.

Get a hardened threaded rod long enough to thread into the stub and be long enough for the original length.

I personally would then run a weld bead around the point where the threaded rod and the old mount meet... to lock it all into place.

Krey
    93 750 Kat

Modified Swingarm, 5.5 GSXR Rear with 180/55 and 520 Chain, 750 to 600 Tail conversion, more to come. Long Term Project build thread http://katriders.com/vb/showthread.php?t=96736

"I've done this a thousand times before. What could possibly go wron.... Ooops!"

Comment

Now is the time to monoshock it!!! Ray.
      85GS1150E 83GS1100SD 83GS1100ES 82GS1000SZ 96GSXR1500DRAGBIKE 96GSXR1400DRAGBIKE 90GSXR1166DRAGBIKE 05SDG110PITBIKE & 8 QUADS!!! "Life is tough! It's even tougher when you're stupid!" John Wayne

Comment

Originally posted by suzukiray View Post
        Now is the time to monoshock it!!! Ray.
        LOL...that was my first thought when it happened.

Kreylyn, thanks for the idea. I have been reading some ideas on the GS and this one sound good. I could just use a SS bolt as well and chop the head off but I would need a 8 grade bolt. I would think.

Comment

Working...
        X